Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A question for the Mums & Dads in the UK from the little dagboys

A question for the Mums & Dads in the UK from the little dagboys

Old Oct 29th 2003, 4:36 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default A question for the Mums & Dads in the UK from the little dagboys

Trouble 1 & Trouble 2 have both recently lost their first tooth (within a week of each other!). They were very excited & put their tooth under the pillow & the tooth fairy visited & left them $2 each.

But as we talk about the UK & what happens there, they just wanted to know how much the tooth fairy leaves in the UK? Would it be 2 pounds or does she have a currency converter built in?

(And dont worry, they cant actually read, so I will just tell them whats said, at my discretion )
Old Oct 29th 2003, 5:13 am
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: A question for the Mums & Dads in the UK from the little dagboys

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Trouble 1 & Trouble 2 have both recently lost their first tooth (within a week of each other!). They were very excited & put their tooth under the pillow & the tooth fairy visited & left them $2 each.

But as we talk about the UK & what happens there, they just wanted to know how much the tooth fairy leaves in the UK? Would it be 2 pounds or does she have a currency converter built in?

(And dont worry, they cant actually read, so I will just tell them whats said, at my discretion )
My six year old got £2.00 from the tooth fairy i think they use the £2 coin as it is bigger and more attractive than the £1, used to be ten pence in my day, infaltion eh?
Old Oct 29th 2003, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

We are here now but my sons baby teeth fell out in Uk where he got a quid per tooth. He had to have one taken out by nasty dentist (to let another come through, not cos he ate too many "lollies") and he got a fiver for being so brave.

My youngest (4) has just caught onto this toothfairy thing and is trying to pull his out even though they are not even wobbly yet!!

Di
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:06 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy

had this conversation a couple of months ago at school!! general agreement was on £1 per tooth.
when Lucy's 1st tooth fell out the FT left a 1 pound coin, which she took to school and promptly lost! when the 2nd one came out she got 2x50p and the threat of more falling out if she lost them!!

aaaah!

sue
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:06 am
WBB

we have not crossed that bridge yet as my oldest is 4, 5 in december but she will probably bet a nice new shiny £1 coin.

Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently....but don't quote me on this....the amount of money left per tooth is directly related to the parents' income. It is not fully understood why this is so, but it does seem that she unfairly favours the wealthier families. One theory is that she does not wish to encourage poverty-stricken parents to use their children's teeth as an alternate, tax-free source of income.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:22 am
Drowning Member

Surfer Chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Apparently....but don't quote me on this....the amount of money left per tooth is directly related to the parents' income. It is not fully understood why this is so, but it does seem that she unfairly favours the wealthier families. One theory is that she does not wish to encourage poverty-stricken parents to use their children's teeth as an alternate, tax-free source of income.

Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

£1.00 as fairy's are too delicate to carry a big £2.00, might break their wings...
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Larissa
£1.00 as fairy's are too delicate to carry a big £2.00, might break their wings...

AWW!!! CUTE!!!!
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I told my daughter it all depends on where you live.... if you live in a big town the fairies have more children to cater for... therefore less money for each tooth.. but the children in small towns and villages get more money as the fairies have less children and the money doesnt have to be stretched so far..

the reason for this is because the child I minded gets £2 at home where as at her nanas house which is in a village, she gets £5 per tooth.
I was just thinking on myfeet there....Phew got out of that one!!!

P.S
The fairies use the teeth to make bridges and houses.

My daughter has left secret mesages for the fairies to sign (luckily she told me) to prove they are real and I sneaked in at night and left a "fairy" message for her.. It is so sweet... but what happens when they find out the truth especially about Father Christmas.... how do we explain Our "fibbing" to them.....
any ideas?????

booboo
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:39 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx guys, I will tell the boys. Yes, when I was a child it was 20 cents, seems inflation affects everything these days .

HP LOL.

Larissa, very cute, unfortunately that doesnt work here as the $2 coin is smaller than the $1 .

We had to tell the boys that unfortunately the tooth fairy doesnt come for grownup teeth. I had no less than three (yes, count 1 - 2 - 3 ) teeth removed today, including an impacted wisdom tooth, Im not a very happy Mrs Dagboy right now
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine got £2 for his first, and £1 for each subsequent one. (I got that idea from Fern Britton )

Now we're in NZ, we'll be going the $1/$2 route. Haven't decided which yet...

Nicola.

PS. I got a sixpence for my first one.... Showing my age there!!
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here in the poorer north the tooth fairy leaves 50p.

Mind you here we have ice cream vans that play a tune to let you know that they have sold out of ice cream.

Who said I was tight??

Claire
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:48 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Nice tip about the tune
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you could make out that the amount depends on how good they've been! (A bit like father Christmas).

Anyway, our 6 year old hasn't fallen for any of that kinda thing for the past 2 years, since she found out that Father Christmas wasn't real. She's always been very insistent that we tell the truth - an old head on young shoulders I guess!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.