Wages thread

Old Jun 24th 2010, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Mike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura about
Default Wages thread

Thought I'd start a wages thread for perspective immigrants to get an idea of the actual rates being paid for different jobs.

I am currently employed as a Plant Inspector at a large refinery. My background is NDT however I am qualified in pressure systems inspection and have 10 years experience.

My basic is $89,700 plus a car with fuel card the working week is 35 hours with a 9-day fortnight. Overtime paid at the usual time & half for 2 hours then double thereafter. For what its worth I have heard boilermakers & scaffolders earn around $40 per hour on this site and the operators earn $120,000 PA with shift allowances. I know most of this info is engineering or industrial biased however I found it difficult to obtain any accurate info on rates when back in the UK to prepare me for negotiations with employers.

I know it’s a bit personal for many but if you’re not shy add your occupation and your salary.

Last edited by Mike 3G; Jun 24th 2010 at 5:32 am.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 7:23 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wages thread

Originally Posted by Mike 3G
Thought I'd start a wages thread for perspective immigrants to get an idea of the actual rates being paid for different jobs.

I am currently employed as a Plant Inspector at a large refinery. My background is NDT however I am qualified in pressure systems inspection and have 10 years experience.

My basic is $89,700 plus a car with fuel card the working week is 35 hours with a 9-day fortnight. Overtime paid at the usual time & half for 2 hours then double thereafter. For what its worth I have heard boilermakers & scaffolders earn around $40 per hour on this site and the operators earn $120,000 PA with shift allowances. I know most of this info is engineering or industrial biased however I found it difficult to obtain any accurate info on rates when back in the UK to prepare me for negotiations with employers.

I know it’s a bit personal for many but if you’re not shy add your occupation and your salary.
Make sure you are fully aware if the package quoted is inclusive or exclusive of Super. And if you are finding it difficult to peg whether your getting a good deal or not ask them how this is compared to market rate. Then get them to substantiate this. Most companies will have done so with online comparisons like Mercer (where organisations supply regular updates ie each quarter).

The normal haggling applies "oh I thought that excluded super"

According to the tax office I don't own or make any money
Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:02 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Average full-time male wage (National): $69,206
Average full-time male wage (SA) : $62,405

Average full-time female wage (National): $56,794
Average full-time female wage (SA) : $52,478

source: ABS - May 2010
Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:47 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Must be nice for you that the 'little people' are paying more tax because you are avoiding paying your fare share.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:57 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Must be nice for you that the 'little people' are paying more tax because you are avoiding paying your fare share.
I prefer to think of it as free choice

I choose to be smart

You on the other hand tend to be well just an Alec
Old Jun 24th 2010, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Mike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Make sure you are fully aware if the package quoted is inclusive or exclusive of Super. And if you are finding it difficult to peg whether your getting a good deal or not ask them how this is compared to market rate. Then get them to substantiate this. Most companies will have done so with online comparisons like Mercer (where organisations supply regular updates ie each quarter).

The normal haggling applies "oh I thought that excluded super"

Yeah forgot to add the rates quoted are + 9% super.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mike 3G

Hi mike i am a sparky in brissie and get a $64500 a year basic which includes my super. I also get some overtime which basically is not really optional because as a family of four you simply cannot live of this money in oz. I am now trying to get in the mines or other similar industrial areas to increase my income. If you know of any ways to achieve this can you advise.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mark wool
Hi mike i am a sparky in brissie and get a $64500 a year basic which includes my super. I also get some overtime which basically is not really optional because as a family of four you simply cannot live of this money in oz. I am now trying to get in the mines or other similar industrial areas to increase my income. If you know of any ways to achieve this can you advise.
Send your CV to any number of engineering/electrical companies who do work in either mining, oil/gas, LNG etc. Downer, UGL, Monadelphous too name a few, all have offices in Brisbane and Perth. They are working on any number of contracts all over QLD, WA, NT, Papua New Guinea. Check theirs and others websites, they all have vacancies. I know for sure TDK are doing sparky work on Gorgon right now building a 3000 man camp.
There's a website, operated by WA government which tells you which companies have been awarded contracts for major WA projects like Gorgon, Pluto LNG etc. QLD probably has same over there. Search on Google with Gorgon or Pluto and you should eventually find it. But Pluto is well advanced and likely down manning, and Gorgon is burning money and getting nowhere, and is'nt recruiting much yet other than civil and marine positions. But that will change in the next 6 months if Chevron get their fingers out of their arses.
But you need to realise sparky doing residential properties is different ball game from doing industrial projects. Also working away is a double edged sword with a family, and is the cause of many a marriage break up.

QC Inspector, Gorgon Barrow Island, 250hrs a month, 3 on - 1 off, $180K.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by upyerfud
Send your CV to any number of engineering/electrical companies who do work in either mining, oil/gas, LNG etc. Downer, UGL, Monadelphous too name a few, all have offices in Brisbane and Perth. They are working on any number of contracts all over QLD, WA, NT, Papua New Guinea. Check theirs and others websites, they all have vacancies. I know for sure TDK are doing sparky work on Gorgon right now building a 3000 man camp.
There's a website, operated by WA government which tells you which companies have been awarded contracts for major WA projects like Gorgon, Pluto LNG etc. QLD probably has same over there. Search on Google with Gorgon or Pluto and you should eventually find it. But Pluto is well advanced and likely down manning, and Gorgon is burning money and getting nowhere, and is'nt recruiting much yet other than civil and marine positions. But that will change in the next 6 months if Chevron get their fingers out of their arses.
But you need to realise sparky doing residential properties is different ball game from doing industrial projects. Also working away is a double edged sword with a family, and is the cause of many a marriage break up.

QC Inspector, Gorgon Barrow Island, 250hrs a month, 3 on - 1 off, $180K.
I echo the sentiments of the other poster as working away from home can cause all sorts of havoc at home. In a previously life I worked away and although the money was helpful it does tend to suck you in and become the main focus of your life. By all means give it go howver approach it with your eyes open and try have an exit strategy from that lifestyle if possible.