Wacky weather

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 4:34 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wacky weather

Tis this season to be stormy
Brisbane

Melbourne

And Sydney just got hit by very heavy rain.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Yeah we saw that on the news , bad hey . Is it normal for that sort of weather to hit over east ? My garden would like a little rain on it , it looks a bit worse for wear
Joanne
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 4:43 am

Originally posted by jopaulss
Yeah we saw that on the news , bad hey . Is it normal for that sort of weather to hit over east ? My garden would like a little rain on it , it looks a bit worse for wear
Joanne
Afternoon thunder storms after a hot humid day are normal. So far Sydney has been having run of the mill stuff. Some sites I support in Brisbane were out of power for 8 hours. The Dagboys were off for a while and their shed did not fare to well.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 4:55 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Wacky weather

Originally posted by bondipom
Tis this season to be stormy
Brisbane

Melbourne

And Sydney just got hit by very heavy rain.
Those units are an example of the poor building work, I'm serious - there is an investigation into it - they have the engineers out inspecting it. The owners of the building may be sued for poor maintenance - apparently the roof was bad long before that happened - residents could here it banging in the wind some nights

It wasn't too bad with us - the reserve seems to protect our house with some of these winds, it passed through our area, some other homes in the area had fallen trees etc.. but it didn't personally affect our home.

Storms/rain is normal this time of year with us - but these storms we've been having is supposed to be the worst we've had in five years

Last edited by Ceri; Feb 2nd 2004 at 5:01 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 5:08 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, we lost power at 4.30pm Friday, got it back at 1.30am & they were still parts without power Saturday & another power out (to fix a problem) on Sunday morning as well. The shed (just a garden shed, not terribly big) had the roof taken off & the front & door was hanging off so it had to be scraped.

We were lucky, only a few branches down in our yard, but our area was very badly hit, some houses around us resemble demolition yards & war zones with whole trees brought down.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 5:32 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Yep, we lost power at 4.30pm Friday, got it back at 1.30am & they were still parts without power Saturday & another power out (to fix a problem) on Sunday morning as well. The shed (just a garden shed, not terribly big) had the roof taken off & the front & door was hanging off so it had to be scraped.

We were lucky, only a few branches down in our yard, but our area was very badly hit, some houses around us resemble demolition yards & war zones with whole trees brought down.
Victoria Point got hit at the same time, but our power went of for only about 30 seconds, but a few streets away they were out for 24 hours.

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 8:36 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...570365532.html

A brief but intense storm hit Sydney late yesterday, cutting power to thousands of homes and pummelling some residents with hailstones.

About 4000 customers in Berowra, Peats Ridge and Spencer lost power about 5pm, at the storm's peak, Energy Australia said. But workers quickly restored power, with only 100 homes still without electricity last night.

An Energy Australia spokesman said lightning strikes and trees crashing into powerlines caused the blackout.

Hailstorms in Windsor damaged property and vehicles. A Windsor resident, Brett Vilnis, was driving along Windsor Road at 2.30pm when hail "almost the size of golf balls" pounded his car. "My car was written off," he said. "For 15 minutes we had heavy rain with hail.

"The hail was falling so hard it was bouncing metres into the air off my bonnet."

The State Emergency Service said it had responded to about 100 calls in Sydney.

Integral Energy said power had been restored to most of the 4500 homes blacked out in Kurrajong, Camden and Bomaderry.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 11:27 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the car with the family as the big storm started Friday night. Just before pulling into the driveway saw a 30ft tree crash across the bottom of the road, about 100m away, completely blocking it. Didn't actually know whether to stay in the car on the drive or risk getting into the house, it was that severe. Power restored 3am the following morning, other areas nearby restored about 12 hours after that
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Must admit, in the year since we have been in Sydney we have been well disappointed in the weather generally. Way colder and wetter than expected. Even the summer has been a bit of a disappointment so far. And this is from someone used the the Edinburgh winters.

Hoping for decent spell until the end of March, but who knows.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 11:38 pm

Originally posted by dracupg
Must admit, in the year since we have been in Sydney we have been well disappointed in the weather generally. Way colder and wetter than expected. Even the summer has been a bit of a disappointment so far. And this is from someone used the the Edinburgh winters.

Hoping for decent spell until the end of March, but who knows.
This summer has been milder and started a lot later than last year. The previous summer started in October and was much drier. The waves were much more consistent as well.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 11:47 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Send some rain to us here in Perth, it's dry as a bone!!!!!!!!!

I did hear on the news though that more people die in OZ due to being struck by lightening than they do from Shark or Crocks!!
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 12:44 am
ABCDiamond

Default Weather in Redlands area

The Redlands was battered by the worst storm in 10 years causing widespread blackouts to two thirds of the district's homes and businesses on Friday afternoon with the clean up bill likely to cost tens of thousands of dollars.

story here

I should get out more... I live here but don't see much of what's happening I have to read about it in the paper. But i've just come back from the local town, (had to go to the bank) and i've just seen some of the big trees that came down.

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:03 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Attached Thumbnails Wacky weather-bom.jpg  
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:06 am

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20008.txt

Some nice lows out to sea for me. I would not want to be going out in a boat around that lump of orange off QLD.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:13 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Weather in Redlands area

I think half the problem with trees falling is because they are single trees. The nature of a bush the trees protect other trees - you start pulling up the bush and leave just a few trees the wind can easily knock them over.
You wouldn't believe how much the bush protects our house in winds. The same area we are in - the night of the big storm some other trees came down. along the main roads.. ie single trees. and single trees in gardens.

We can be sitting in our house in high winds and the bush at the back is only gently swaying , drive to the end of our street and into the town - it's blowing a gale.

the only worry I have - is I have one huge single tree at the front of the house - if it came down it would crush my house - I keep meaning to ask the council about it - you can't just chop native trees down without permission. Plus I've heard it actually costs quite a few thou to do it (about $10,000) - has anyone ever got a tree lopped down? I mean a huge tree about 40 foot+, and could give me an idea of costs.

Land clearing, building, and farming has a lot to answer for. Those winds should not have ripped roofs off - what were they less than 100k (only in parts of the GC did they reach something like 120 kilometres)

and as for the Melbourne floods - I think that is inadequate drain system. You need big storm drains like Singapore. Look at the difference between Sing and Thailand (Sing gets far more heavy rain than here) Thailand floods in heavy rains - inadequate drain system (lack of money) in parts.. where Singapore it copes with the heavy rains because of their storm drain systems.

cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.