wa suburbs

Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:58 pm
avi
BE Enthusiast

avi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of light
Default wa suburbs

hi all
I have searched the forums for advice regarding where to rent when we land in april. I have looked on estate agents websites and I am unsure regarding where to rent that will enable me to get to hollywood hospital and 2 kids to school safely and not in an exhorbiant (cant spell sorry ) so any advice please most welcome.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wa suburbs

Hollywood hospital? never heard of it, wouldnt it be in....hollywood LA
Old Dec 7th 2010, 12:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
Hollywood hospital? never heard of it, wouldnt it be in....hollywood LA
Next the Charlie Gairnders Hospital. Suburbs round there are pretty expensive, like Nedlands, Subiaco.

Shenton Park worth a look though. Pretty close and excellent govt high school.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

There are certainly cheaper suburbs to rent in Perth than those immediately near the hospital where you will be working. But, you have to work out if saving on rent in a cheaper area is worth it. It might sound obvious to save rent as that's a large and regular expense, but you have to consider a lot of different factors, such as the:
  • quality of schools (high and primary)
  • need for public transport as you won't have a car
  • need to be safe as you will be doing shift work
  • facilities, eg food shopping (Subiaco has 4 supermarkets open late 7 days and 2 markets at the weekend), Medicare/HBF offices, sports facilities, parks, etc
  • workplaces that you can easily get to - not only is there Hollywood Private Hospital, but also SCGH, KEMH, PMH, Shenton Park campus of Royal Perth (these all state), plus The Mount, Bethesda and SJOG (these 3 private), plus some aged care facilities, also there are sometimes research nurse jobs at QEII and UWA.
In some suburbs further away, you might save $100-150/week and that is a lot for someone on a low income, BUT you would have a more difficult journey to work, your children, particularly your teenager, might not enjoy the local school, and you will struggle to get to shops because most public transport in Perth tends to be directed towards the CBD, not between suburbs. At some train stations there might only be one bus an hour after about 6 pm.

Quite a lot of these western suburbs do have different types of housing, from flats to mansions. There are reasonably priced places available if you look on the 3 main websites and notices also get put up at local shopping centres and at the hospitals. Financially things will be tight for you and it will help to keep stress levels down if you don't have to worry about schools, transport, safety and just getting food on the table.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 7:13 pm
avi
BE Enthusiast

avi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone.

I am soooooo stressing at the moment there doesnt seem to be enough hours in the day what with keeping kids settled working extra shifts to aid in the Oz pot and organise whats coming and whats staying whats being sold (for a pittance I might add ) Also being taught British sign language at work so all adds up to extra stress trying to find reasonable accomadation for when we land and start to try to find accomadation for long term (hubby not helping he cant do it he says grrrrrrrrrr not good on computer grrrrrrrr ) so i am now stressing lots especially as it is 133 days until we fly schools need informing eek and christmas eek oh I need a lie down me thinks

Avril
Old Dec 7th 2010, 10:56 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avi
Also being taught British sign language
Hey Avril, can I ask why why are learning BSL? In Australia people who are deaf sign in AUSLAN which is different to BSL although related.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Hey Avril, can I ask why why are learning BSL? In Australia people who are deaf sign in AUSLAN which is different to BSL although related.
That was a question I had, too. Might be more useful to a course in something else, eg aged care or some other aspect of nursing that would help you long-term.

I'm wondering if you have a more serious and urgent training issue, though - getting your OH into gear - a challenge, but only you can do it.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:03 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avi
hi all
I have searched the forums for advice regarding where to rent when we land in april. I have looked on estate agents websites and I am unsure regarding where to rent that will enable me to get to hollywood hospital and 2 kids to school safely and not in an exhorbiant (cant spell sorry ) so any advice please most welcome.
Why do you need to be close the HPH? I live 45 minutes from work and don't find the commute too bad at all. Will you be doing on-call shifts or is it a matter of convenience?
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why do you need to be close the HPH? I live 45 minutes from work and don't find the commute too bad at all. Will you be doing on-call shifts or is it a matter of convenience?
I have been pm-ing avi with some suggestions. I just plugged in a street in Butler, for example, into the Journey Planner for Transperth. To get to HPH for a 7.00 am shift start (don't know the actual shift times, just putting in a guess), avi would have to leave home at 5.10 am, walk 627 metres, get a bus, then a train, then walk 321 m, another bus, then another 291 m to walk, arriving at 6.53 am. Total journey time of 1 hr 43 mins, total of 1239 m to walk.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:47 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
I have been pm-ing avi with some suggestions. I just plugged in a street in Butler, for example, into the Journey Planner for Transperth. To get to HPH for a 7.00 am shift start (don't know the actual shift times, just putting in a guess), avi would have to leave home at 5.10 am, walk 627 metres, get a bus, then a train, then walk 321 m, another bus, then another 291 m to walk, arriving at 6.53 am. Total journey time of 1 hr 43 mins, total of 1239 m to walk.
From where I live to get to RPH by public transit I leave home at 6:10. Drive to Clarkson station, take the train to Perth and either walk or take the free CAT bus to work. I'm sat at my desk by 7:15 on the days I wait for the bus.

If she needs to be at HPH by 7 and lives in Butler she could easily leave home at 6 and take Marmion/West Coast Hwy. When I worked at Graylands it used to take me about 45 minutes each way driving.

And I wasn't necessarily suggesting Butler. There are loads of nice suburbs not right next to Nedlands where she could live and be at work in 20-30 minutes.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
From where I live to get to RPH by public transit I leave home at 6:10. Drive to Clarkson station, take the train to Perth and either walk or take the free CAT bus to work. I'm sat at my desk by 7:15 on the days I wait for the bus.

If she needs to be at HPH by 7 and lives in Butler she could easily leave home at 6 and take Marmion/West Coast Hwy. When I worked at Graylands it used to take me about 45 minutes each way driving.

And I wasn't necessarily suggesting Butler. There are loads of nice suburbs not right next to Nedlands where she could live and be at work in 20-30 minutes.
No, I just used Butler as an example. I've been plugging in a few other suburbs for her as well. The major issue for avi and her family is that they are coming with a limited amount of $ and they will not have a car for some time. That's one of the reasons I've been suggesting suburbs near the hospital. I've also given her bus route numbers to look up, including the 98/99 which goes to a lot of different suburbs, even if it takes forever.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 5:09 am
avi
BE Enthusiast

thanks all
I learning BSL because we use it here for our deaf patients and staff. I intend to learn oz form when we land.

True I need to get him into gear but strangely it is a losing battle But I will banish the xbox methinks and that should sort him out any other suggestions?

I need him to be closeish to a school for the little one because he cant drive I can so he has never learnt.

Thanks helen for all the suggestions I have been looking on the sites you have suggested but I at the moment if I lucky get 1 half day off a week cos I always working 7-7 at work then at least 1 overtime 7-7 ad then I do an agency shift which could be long day early late or night. Oh the joy but it will be worth it

All that keeps me going is the count down hehehehe

We wont be able to afford a car to begin with so we need to be close to transport links especially for the little one she is only 8 but the elder one is 14 so she is a bit more streetwise (well hmmmn maybe) lol

I been loking at the bus numbers that Helen suggested and I get all confused lol due to all the stress lol and all the things that need doing lots of lists hehehe

Ach well gotta go work again grrr
Old Dec 8th 2010, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi avi, hope it was OK talking about you when we thought you might be asleep. Just trying to find the right solution for you, but your OH could search the Internet while you're flogging yourself to death, couldn't he?
Old Dec 8th 2010, 6:30 am
avi
BE Enthusiast

Hi Helen

Hehehe I never sleep at the moment its wasted hours lol I dont mind hun we all friends here.

Now thats a plan regarding the internet I might just do that but what you betting here claims dosent want to break the computer or scared gonna get a virus on it hehehe he is such a man lol

But you gotta love him well someone has to
Old Dec 8th 2010, 6:36 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by avi
Hi Helen

Hehehe I never sleep at the moment its wasted hours lol I dont mind hun we all friends here.

Now thats a plan regarding the internet I might just do that but what you betting here claims dosent want to break the computer or scared gonna get a virus on it hehehe he is such a man lol

But you gotta love him well someone has to
What are you going to be doing at HPH? A bunch of my consultants here at RPH also have rooms over there so I can give you the lowdown on some of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.