Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WA Perth- freight trains? Question re employment

WA Perth- freight trains? Question re employment

Old Dec 19th 2007, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

bella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nice
Default WA Perth- freight trains? Question re employment

Hi there, does anyone know where the freight trains run in WA?
We think they may be from Kalgoorlie, Perth and Esperence but does anyone know where the drivers are based, which depot and where it is?
Also what the money is like for freight train drivers? I think they mainly transport from the mine in Kalgoorlie but am not sure. My husband is thinking of approaching them for a job but not sure of the locations and haven`t heard good reports about Kalgoorlie.
Any info greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:37 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WA Perth- freight trains? Question re employment

Originally Posted by bella-71
Hi there, does anyone know where the freight trains run in WA?
We think they may be from Kalgoorlie, Perth and Esperence but does anyone know where the drivers are based, which depot and where it is?
Also what the money is like for freight train drivers? I think they mainly transport from the mine in Kalgoorlie but am not sure. My husband is thinking of approaching them for a job but not sure of the locations and haven`t heard good reports about Kalgoorlie.
Any info greatly appreciated.
The Indian Pacific passenger train is based in East Perth and runs via Kalgoorlie to Adelaide. I imagine freight is also carried on the line. There is also a line that runs south to Bunbury I believe.

I found this site straight away using Google.

http://www.railmaps.com.au/warail.htm

Any reason why freight trains specifically? With the new Mandurah line opening on Sunday I would have thought they are keen to attract passenger train drivers and I heard a while back they had to give 12 months notice of leave they were so short staffed.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

Plenty of freight trains up north, the large exploration companies have their own railways and I presume they have their own staff. I know a guy who's on the huge trains, I think they are 2.5km long, lots of training.....but also lots of money !
Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

bella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nice

Its def frieight, in WA, I think Perth area.
What are salaries like? Does anyone know?
Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bella-71
Its def frieight, in WA, I think Perth area.
What are salaries like? Does anyone know?
No idea about the money, but would imagine if the job is around Perth you'd have something to do with the port at Fremantle or further South at Bunbury. I know that their are plenty of freight trains around Bunbury (200km south of Perth) mostly transporting metals to the port.
As with most trades in Western Australia you will find the big money in the northern part of the state working in some shape of form for one of the large mining companies.
Good luck
Old Dec 20th 2007, 11:35 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Have heard it is a very boring job and has a high turnaround of staff, guess it must be the thousands of km's of identical nothing all the time.
Jenny