Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WA House price inflation

WA House price inflation

Old Aug 8th 2005, 1:44 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WA House price inflation

I'm with you Steve, for investors there's still money to be made if you do your homework. WA looks extremely good value for Easter states investors.

Coastal and river suburbs will always hold their value.

What I've noticed though is that around Ocean Reef houses are going on for say, $950,000, not selling then eventually going for about $100,000 less.

Another think is that with new releases of land, the blocks just get tinyer and tinyer. I don't think it talkes a maths genius to work out the developers are lining their pockets.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

I am certain the market has peaked, the price rise action looks to be in blocks and cheaper properties. decent blocks in Jindalee (decent in that they are 600m+) are circa $300k and even more in Burns Beach.
C-Air at Hillarys is a joke... Developers are making plenty and a market that rises as fast as it has without regard to wage inflation is a speculative bubble.

Population has risen 230k in 10 years and there were 200k extra homes built in that period, approx 1 each! Supply and demand is not a strong case.

Depends why you buying, if you can afford to buy and want to live long term, ten it is a home and not an investment. I am waiting as long as I can.

[QUOTE=Quokka]
Originally Posted by Moody Cow

The Perth market has increased 19% over year (tonight's news).
It will fall, but calling when is difficult.
The booming resources market and immigration on a high mean it could go on a while.
But prices are becoming unaffordable for first time buyers, so we may be near the peak.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:18 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
What I've noticed though is that around Ocean Reef houses are going on for say, $950,000, not selling then eventually going for about $100,000 less.
Must admit I havent really followed what specific prices have done around those areas, but it does sound as though people are maybe trying to cash in off the back of all the positive news surrounding WA's housing market and maybe there just trying it on, hoping to catch someone coming in from overseas or over east, and when it doesnt sell they drop it a more realistic level and it gets snapped up.

I went to a home open in City Beach about a month ago (being nosey to see how ours matched up) , first time it had been opened, house was on for about $875K I think, was in not a bad spot, but was a real old run down place (ex rental), no views (would be from an additional story) , no pool, needed everything replacing or preferably the whole thing knocking down.
There were quite a few people looking around and we just thought this cant be all you can get for $875K now, anyone buying this would be nuts... (I would value mine at around $200K more and we paid $200K less only 2.5yrs ago ) and I cant believe ours would go on the market over $1M.
I drove past on the monday after the home open, SOLD sign out the front :scared:

Steve
Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:28 pm
Grumpy Old Woman!!

Moody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the rough

I went to a home open in City Beach about a month ago (being nosey to see how ours matched up)

Steve, I do that all the time...in the name of research ;-)

We are not in the same league as you in "scruffy" Craigie but a place just a block or so away from us was up for sale as 'partially renovated"....well, if you call laying a tiled floor in the lounge-kitchen-dining area as partially renovated...anyway, it needed a new kitchen and two new baths and the laughable thing was they had tiled round all of the ugly old features you'd want to get rid of anyway so you'd end up having to tile again. This place was up for $255,000-$275,000 (4x2) as a reno, guess what, after a couple of weeks it sold. Madness!

MC
Old Aug 8th 2005, 4:06 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond]
Originally Posted by Quokka
Was that the news bit with the RBA stating that interest rates would not change again this year, and the next change was likely to be later next year with a 50/50 chance of going Down ?

I liked the comment that was made; QUOTE: Someone forgot to tell WA that the boom has ended.
It all depends on what inflationary pressures come up. As long as Sydney carries on with its 7% annual drop in house prices and the strong dollar protects the petrol bowser from record crude prices the rates may drop. Resources are booming Perth and holding up the dollar.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 6:34 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Cranni sent you a PM if thats ok.

Does anyone have any info on cheaper buildings ?

Thinking of wooden clapboard style, like a Queenslander.
Really prefer the look of these with big veranda's, rather then the more modern look, plus the cheaper the build the bigger the plot we can buy.
I think long term a 2000m sq + plot with an ordinary house on it will be better then a 700m sq plot with a big 4x2 on it.

We are really looking for what bests suits us anyway, rather then worry what it may be worth in 5 years.

Who knows what may happen in 20 years.

Have been looking at a plot near the Mandurah estuary, is there a big problem with mossies ?

Thanks

Kevin
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

DAVIES6 is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: WA House price inflation

Thinking of moving to Perth, how long would we have to wait before buying a property, as we want to buy as soon as, don't want to waste money renting. Is it worth buying a plot of land and building instead. We will have approx $400,000 to invest in a property.