Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WA Drivers License

WA Drivers License

Old Oct 13th 2004, 3:52 pm
PommieLeague

Default WA Drivers License

Im here on a Prospective Marriage Visa and been here now 7 weeks. Now Im confused as on the DPI website it says any on a temp visa have 12 months on their overseas license, but someone at licensing said I have 3 months?

Old Oct 13th 2004, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough
Default Re: WA Drivers License

Originally Posted by Lathlain
Im here on a Prospective Marriage Visa and been here now 7 weeks. Now Im confused as on the DPI website it says any on a temp visa have 12 months on their overseas license, but someone at licensing said I have 3 months?

If it's a permanent move you've got three months. You are obviously planning to stay so you might as well get on and do it. It's simple enough. Try the test for practice on www.dpi.wa.gov.au

Go to the learner drivers section
Old Oct 14th 2004, 2:21 am
ABCDiamond

As Ushas said, you may aswell take the THEORY ONLY test as soon as you can.

However, for clarification:

If you are a visitor to Western Australia you may drive for a period of twelve months if you hold a valid driver's licence issued in your country of origin or a state/territory of Australia of which you are a permanent resident. You must carry your licence when driving and comply with any conditions (where reasonable) that are endorsed on the licence. You will need to obtain a Western Australian driver's licence after this time. Overseas visitors will be required to pass a theory test on the road rules.

Transferring overseas or interstate driver licences
If you become a permanent resident of Western Australia, you have three months in which to transfer your driver's licence.

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/m...out/visit.html

Old Oct 14th 2004, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

An article in the paper last week said they are planning on changing the rules, new arrivals in the future may have to sit a practical test as well as the theory .
Old Oct 14th 2004, 6:50 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jacqui
An article in the paper last week said they are planning on changing the rules, new arrivals in the future may have to sit a practical test as well as the theory .

Think I'll be booking in for my theory sooner rather than later then!
Old Oct 14th 2004, 7:03 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

The practical test would have to include burnouts and "doughies".
Old Oct 14th 2004, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Tonyonthemove is an unknown quantity at this point

Are the lead diving boots given to you for free when you get you licence to ensure that "pedal to the floor" acceleration at every possible opportunity that seems to be the norm here?
Old Oct 14th 2004, 11:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

In that case WA would be in breach of the national agreement they signed up to not so long ago to exempt specific countries from having to re-do a practical test.

Jeremy
Old Oct 15th 2004, 5:15 am
PommieLeague

The woman at licensing in West Perth said that the police nor licensing have any form of policing who has what visa and when they arrived. So i guess there may be a few poms out there whove been here years still using their UK license?

Old Oct 15th 2004, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tonyonthemove
Are the lead diving boots given to you for free when you get you licence to ensure that "pedal to the floor" acceleration at every possible opportunity that seems to be the norm here?
What as aopposed to the horrific driving skills here in the UK? Diving across 3 or 4 lanes of traffic to nab a parking space? Parking on corners so that oncoming traffic can't see the road? Racing on the motorways? Stopping in any inconvenient place? Hmmm....
Old Oct 15th 2004, 7:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Ushas
What as aopposed to the horrific driving skills here in the UK? Diving across 3 or 4 lanes of traffic to nab a parking space? Parking on corners so that oncoming traffic can't see the road? Racing on the motorways? Stopping in any inconvenient place? Hmmm....
The most annoying thing I find with most Australian Drivers, is when driving on two or more lines each way, they tend to stick on the right side lane all the time. And as soon as they join the road the head straight for that lane, and stick there, unless overtaking, sorry "Undertaking", in the left lane.

I've been here for years and still it gets to me. But only because I was brought up with overtaking on the inside being against the law, and "drive on the left, unless overtaking". You have to get used to driving and overtaking either side.

Having said that though, it is worse in some areas than in others, and I do sometimes see some areas where they do drive in the left lane. In fact this area used to be very much like that, until all those NSW migrants moved up here !! and brought their driving skills with them

Old Oct 15th 2004, 9:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The woman at licensing in West Perth said that the police nor licensing have any form of policing who has what visa and when they arrived. So i guess there may be a few poms out there whove been here years still using their UK license?
Anyone who does that is asking for trouble - what happens if you have an accident and the insurance company finds out you have not abided by the licensing regulations?

Jeremy