Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WA brown and dry? Huh!

WA brown and dry? Huh!

Old Mar 8th 2005, 1:14 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Cool WA brown and dry? Huh!

Someone on the Dutch forum asked if WA (and especially around Perth) was all dry and dull etc, he liked green, and wondered if WA could be for him....

Now of course, most of WA is very dry, especially the summer, but the southwest can be quite green, even in the summer.
I decided to post some photo’s, and as usual got carried away.....
I only have to copy that text in the post and post it here for the photo’s to show, so I thought maybe some of you would like it too.

These photo’s are in chronical order from last July to last weekend. It’s only a selection of all I have.
Of course you can find much nicer ones on websites like
http://www.westernaustralia.com/en/D...erience+Perth/ (Perth)

http://www.westernaustralia.com/en/D...as+South+West/ (south west)
and
http://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/photo_library.asp
but I thought I’d add some ‘real’ ones too!

July in Bullsbrook, just north of Perth

Our backyard in August. (bit less green now though....)

Lake Monger, middle of Perth:

John Forrest National Park, in the Hills, about 20 km east of Perth:
Old Mar 8th 2005, 1:15 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WA brown and dry? Huh!

16 October, near Dardanup in the hills(about 200km south of Perth)

Whiteman Park, just above Perth, 31 October:

Near Mundaring Weir, east of Perth, 6 November:

Old Mar 8th 2005, 1:18 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

13 November, in Bridgetown(350 km south of Perth)

14 November, Blackwood River, Bridgetown

29 December, John Forrest National Park

4 January, near Bridgetown (Pascal with an alpaca)

Walpole inlet (about 400 km south of Perth), 5 januari:
Old Mar 8th 2005, 1:19 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

6 January, Tree Top walk near Walpole

7 January, near the Tingle tree near Walpole

9 January, near Oyster Harbour, Albany

Yesterday(!), Cape Howe National Park, Shelley Beach, near Albany/Denmark
Old Mar 8th 2005, 1:42 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

oooh I've been on the tree top walk at Walkpole last year.. with my hubby.. It was really hazy though, as there were lots of little bush fires about the place...
Old Mar 8th 2005, 2:03 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by Brissiegirl
oooh I've been on the tree top walk at Walkpole last year.. with my hubby.. It was really hazy though, as there were lots of little bush fires about the place...
Ah. No big fires down that way lately, all up around Perth!

Was a bit windy when we went, and there were some young guys jumping up and down to make it wobble, which Pascal and his parents really enjoyed, not! I was laughing all the way! he he

What else did you do down here?
Old Mar 8th 2005, 2:26 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Simone
Ah. No big fires down that way lately, all up around Perth!

Was a bit windy when we went, and there were some young guys jumping up and down to make it wobble, which Pascal and his parents really enjoyed, not! I was laughing all the way! he he

What else did you do down here?

yeah, we had some hoons doing the same thing.. made it rather scary!!

It was my first time to WA.. hubby's second trip there. We hired a car and went to Hyden & Wave Rock, then down to Albany via Ravensthorpe, then to Denmark and Walpole, Cape Leeuwin, then to Jeemalup Chalets near near Dunsborough, spent 4 days there, fab!! Nice rammed earth chalet things.. and then North of Perth, then back to the Airport and fly back to to the UK.. we did that in about 9 days.. but we had spent 3 weeks doing other stuff in Qld and Alice Springs...
Old Mar 8th 2005, 5:31 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

We were in south west oz in nov (spring ) and it was just as green as south west england !
Old Mar 8th 2005, 5:47 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

OOOOOOHHHH Simone, looks absolutely fantabulous!!!! Got the visas today and your photos just had me jumping up and down with excitement. I'll be there in five weeks to start taking my own photos of the greenness.

Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:18 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by Brissiegirl
yeah, we had some hoons doing the same thing.. made it rather scary!!

It was my first time to WA.. hubby's second trip there. We hired a car and went to Hyden & Wave Rock, then down to Albany via Ravensthorpe, then to Denmark and Walpole, Cape Leeuwin, then to Jeemalup Chalets near near Dunsborough, spent 4 days there, fab!! Nice rammed earth chalet things.. and then North of Perth, then back to the Airport and fly back to to the UK.. we did that in about 9 days.. but we had spent 3 weeks doing other stuff in Qld and Alice Springs...
Woah, you did a lot of driving!!!!!!!!!!!
We did Bunbury - Margret River - Augusta - Bridgetown - Walpole - Albany -Perth in 10 days in January, and that was a good trip.
Wave Rock is great, but a bit to much out of the way!!!
I especially didn't want to do to much driving, cos my in laws didn't want that. FIL did do all the driving though, which was great!