Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Voting in Australia

Voting in Australia

Old Apr 30th 2005, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Voting in Australia

Hi,

I am just curious, can you vote in Australia only if you are a citizen and not just a permanent resident ?

Has anything changed over the last few years ?
Old Apr 30th 2005, 5:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voting in Australia

Originally Posted by sunshine23
Hi,

I am just curious, can you vote in Australia only if you are a citizen and not just a permanent resident ?
Only if you are a citizen.

The exception is for PRs from Commonwealth countries who were enrolled as voters on 25 January 1984.

Has anything changed over the last few years ?
No - and no Australian government is going to give non-citizens the vote. You'll be eligible to vote when you become an Australian citizen, not before.

Jeremy
Old Apr 30th 2005, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Only if you are a citizen.

The exception is for PRs from Commonwealth countries who were enrolled as voters on 25 January 1984.

No - and no Australian government is going to give non-citizens the vote. You'll be eligible to vote when you become an Australian citizen, not before.

Jeremy
That answers my question thank you. I lived in Australia until 1989 and I voted up until then. I was not a citizen.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 6:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshine23
That answers my question thank you. I lived in Australia until 1989 and I voted up until then. I was not a citizen.
In that case check the AEC website to see if you can re-enroll immediately when you return, if you were an enrolled voter on 25.01.1984 - http://www.aec.gov.au

Jeremy
Old May 1st 2005, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Voting in Australia

Originally Posted by JAJ
In that case check the AEC website to see if you can re-enroll immediately when you return, if you were an enrolled voter on 25.01.1984 - http://www.aec.gov.au

Jeremy
Thanks for your help Jeremy, I may be able to use this information to help out with the former resident visa that I am going for.