British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Vodafone PAYG (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/vodafone-payg-936744/)

louie Jan 23rd 2021 2:01 am

Vodafone PAYG

Anyone use it?

Amazulu Jan 24th 2021 11:59 am

Re: Vodafone PAYG

Originally Posted by louie (Post 12963146)
Anyone use it?

No and Vodafone are shit. If you want low cost PAYG, go with ALDI or Boost, who use Telstra's network

Beoz Jan 24th 2021 8:47 pm

Anyone use it?

My wife does. This article talks a lot about stomping ground. Hers is 99% urban so it's not an issue.

https://www.reviews.org/au/mobile/te...fone-coverage/

Telstra obviously offers the most coverage and echo's Amazulu's recommendation on using someone like Boost on the Telstra network.

quoll Jan 24th 2021 10:02 pm

I did for a few years and it was fine. It offered a good allowance for what I needed. Never had any trouble with connecting but that was mainly on major routes. Maybe a bit of connection problem in the wilds of East Gippsland but that was all. Now, unfortunately with Helstra who happen to have the best rate for what I need.

Dreamy Jan 25th 2021 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12963704)
No and Vodafone are shit. If you want low cost PAYG, go with ALDI or Boost, who use Telstra's network

Can confirm that ALDI is excellent - never-ending rollover of data, free calls to a number of countries and use of the Telstra network, so we even get coverage here in the Blue Mountains. That was unheard of with Virginmobile who used the Optus network (Mr Dreamy used to joke that we only moved to the BM because work couldn't contact him on his mobile at home).

spouse of scouse Jan 25th 2021 5:47 am

Anyone use it?

I used Vodaphone PAYG mobile internet for 2 years with no problems.

brits1 Jan 25th 2021 10:29 am

Anyone use it?

I used it for all my time in Australia (Wa) and now in England and I find it to be excellent for me and what I need it for. Even my DH has switched to Vodafone from a Very well known company and he's is chuffed he did so.

Amazulu Jan 25th 2021 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 12963944)
Can confirm that ALDI is excellent - never-ending rollover of data, free calls to a number of countries and use of the Telstra network, so we even get coverage here in the Blue Mountains. That was unheard of with Virginmobile who used the Optus network (Mr Dreamy used to joke that we only moved to the BM because work couldn't contact him on his mobile at home).

I no longer use Aldi as the deals for Telstra via the likes of JB HiFi are just too good to pass up but my wife still does. She uses very little data, so I got her the $99, 12 month pack. Unlimited national calls and 15GB of data. So that's $8.25 a month - what a bargain. International calls are no longer a requirement for us because of WhatsApp, Messenger, Skype etc

Telstra is the only viable network outside of urban areas. I get 4G data in many parts of the Pilbara - such as on the road from Paraburdoo airport to Tom Price - aka seriously remote. No other network will give you that. If you're never going to use a phone outside towns and cities, stick with an joke outfit like Vodafone - otherwise go with Telstra or a provider that uses their network

louie Jan 27th 2021 7:44 am

Thanks for all your replies. I'm still trying to track down someone currently using Vodaphone PAYG though (i.e. not on a contract). Anyone know anyone who fits that bill?

brits1 Jan 27th 2021 8:32 am

Originally Posted by louie (Post 12964859)
Thanks for all your replies. I'm still trying to track down someone currently using Vodaphone PAYG though (i.e. not on a contract). Anyone know anyone who fits that bill?

I use PAYG with Vodafone but it's in the UK I use a bundle (did the same in Australia).and it works pert well for me.

Kiwipaul Feb 2nd 2021 6:53 am

Originally Posted by louie (Post 12964859)

I use Vodafone PAYG for my modem connection for my desktop at home and it works faultlessly and have done for the last 10 years.

$125 for 60.5 GB with a 365 day expiry and data rollover,

Used to use Vodafone on my mobile but switched to Aldi with $15 with 365 days expiry with rollover. I've just cancelled my land line and so I might now use more than $15 per year, but recharging with Aldi is simple.