Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visitors from the uk ?

Visitors from the uk ?

Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:12 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visitors from the uk ?

I know its meant to be 'sweetness and light' when friends/relatives visit from the UK but is there anyone out there in Ausland who would really want nothing to do with people from the UK ?
Did you move away to get away from Brits and find it a pain to accomodate visitors ?

cos i think that how i'd feel ....................................

Lee
Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

sue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nice
Default Re: Visitors from the uk ?

I luv having my visitors over but I hate hanging out where all the Brits are especially in pubs it makes me laugh on e pub in Clarkson in Perth you go and all the lads in there Man Utd tops all they have done proberbly is go from one pub in the Uk where they have stood from leaving school and moved to the other side of the world and doing exactly the same.
Also half the trouble at weekend is the Brits.
At times totally embarressed to be one!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Visitors are good but you're right ... it is difficult as I think many think we're just here on holiday too, and we're not, this is our day to day life.

We've had my side 3 times, husband's twice, plus friends in less than 2 yrs. My side are harder as they delibrately don't come in holidays but then get disappointed that I don't take the children out of school all the time they're here!

Plus we find many expect us to do all the touristy things with them, which is fine if we're free but it's costly and we've our day to day stuff to do! You know boring stuff like housework, food shopping, mowing grass etc etc!!

I've decided I need to be stricter with when it's convenient and set down clear guidelines!
Old Apr 19th 2008, 12:28 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
I know its meant to be 'sweetness and light' when friends/relatives visit from the UK but is there anyone out there in Ausland who would really want nothing to do with people from the UK ?
Did you move away to get away from Brits and find it a pain to accomodate visitors ?

Lee
We know that we will most likely never have visitors from overseas. Both our families won't visit and that's truly fine with us. We didn't move to get away from anyone in particular, but also if we're totally honest with ourselves would have to admit that we really don't miss anyone enough to want them coming to stay with us.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 12:41 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Lee
Most people I know find it a mixed blessing. While it is nice to see parents having them under the same roof is very stressful. A friend of ours has elderly parents over for 10 weeks every Xmas and they insist on putting the washing machine on every day even if there are only a couple of pairs of pants to go in. They also insist on pulling out all the furniture to vacuum behind (daily) then tut tut at all the dust. I have heard all sorts of stories like this even as far as one friend barring a parent from coming ever again. They seem to go from one extreme to the other - either won't lift a finger or put their hand in their pocket to always trying to do too much.

Personally my mum can't stand the heat and if our daughter doesn't want to play with her she sulks in her room. My dad can't sit still so on one morning last visit I woke up to see him cleaning the cars (in full sun so they went streaky) and on another cleaning the windows of the house (I didn't mind that one as I hate doing it). Every time they make a drink they have to fill the kettle all the way up. Sam empties it half way, the refill it - if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it. The one that nearly tipped us over the edge last time was while we were filling up the eski and generally getting ready for a picnic and Sam turned round to put something in the eski and he had whisked it off and put it in the car. We have 13 hours straight in the car with them on the way up to Shark Bay in October - it could be a bloodbath! I only hope the jetlag makes them sleep most of the way.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 1:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Lee
Surely you wouldn't refuse to have friends or family visit cos theyare from the UK? Don't you judge peoepl individually rather than on then basis of where they come from?
Old Apr 19th 2008, 2:56 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Lee
Oh oh! Me Me.

I get excited at seeing them for the first 24 hours, maybe 48. Then they can leave please
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:06 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Surely you wouldn't refuse to have friends or family visit cos theyare from the UK? Don't you judge peoepl individually rather than on then basis of where they come from?
When i said 'UK' i meant people from back home

Last edited by stuckinblighty; Apr 19th 2008 at 9:15 am.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:10 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

When i said 'UK' i meant people from back home...not cos the're british
yep. here.

If they want to go and see us fine. But they can make their own arangements and entertianment. I'm not a tour guide and have no desire to do so, I have my own family to feed and apart from a few nights, will not feed eveyone else too.

Yes I am a cold and heartless cow, but i have only so much patience. My family come first, everyone else can bloody wait.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:09 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I will love having people for a week but any longer than that will be stressful.
The problem is ... when they are flying 22 hours across the world they won't just come for a week