Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visiting pets in quarantine

Visiting pets in quarantine

Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:24 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting pets in quarantine

Can I ask opinions and thoughts about visiting pets in quarantine?

Our GSD and two cats will be arriving in Perth on 5th September and then going to quarantine in Byford until 5th October. We are moving over to WA hopefully on 16th September and we can't make up our minds if it's a good thing to visit them before we can bring them home. Apparently I hear from the kennels in the UK that Mishka has settled down very well and is trying to boss everyone at the kennels around. (Hope he isn't forgetting us... ) The cats also seem happy and contented - as well as any pet in kennels/cattery can be. Obviously they now have the ordeal of the flight and then need to settle down again at Byford and we can't decide if visiting them would just unsettle them again, especially as it may be another month before we can have them home, depending on how quickly we can find a *pet-friendly* rental. In theory, they may have to go on to another kennel/cattery but hopefully that won't happen.

Anyone any advice or experiences to share please? And does anyone have any comments about Byford?

Thanks...

Sue
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:27 am
BLC

Default Re: Visiting pets in quarantine

Originally Posted by Bella Donna

Our GSD and two cats will be arriving in Perth on 5th September and then going to quarantine in Byford until 5th October. We are moving over to WA hopefully on 16th September and we can't make up our minds if it's a good thing to visit them before we can bring them home. Apparently I hear from the kennels in the UK that Mishka has settled down very well and is trying to boss everyone at the kennels around. (Hope he isn't forgetting us... ) The cats also seem happy and contented - as well as any pet in kennels/cattery can be. Obviously they now have the ordeal of the flight and then need to settle down again at Byford and we can't decide if visiting them would just unsettle them again, especially as it may be another month before we can have them home, depending on how quickly we can find a *pet-friendly* rental. In theory, they may have to go on to another kennel/cattery but hopefully that won't happen.

Anyone any advice or experiences to share please? And does anyone have any comments about Byford?

Thanks...

Sue
I'll be interested to hear further on that one, one of my concerns.

B

Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:52 am
Just Joined

big sis has a brilliant futurebig sis has a brilliant futurebig sis has a brilliant futurebig sis has a brilliant futurebig sis has a brilliant futurebig sis has a brilliant future

When we moved over here, a long time ago (over 17 years), the animals had to be in quarantine for 60 days so we sent them over a month before we left England. They also went to Byford. The lovely staff were happy to keep me informed about how they were all doing when I rang up about them, from England. One of the cats went to the top of their cage and stayed there pretty much the whole time.......the quarantine staff put a sack over the top so she didn't get sunburnt. They also seperated the two dogs because they would play madly and were worried they would over heat......came over in January in full Winter coat to an Australian heatwave :scared: .......they still gave them short play times together each day. We visited with the dogs and cats once a week when we arrived and they seemed perfectly happy with that and we were able to leave them at Byford for an extra week after they were due out of quarantine while we arranged somewhere to live.

I think if Mishka is generally anxiety free he won't be stressed if you visit him and then leave. He will probably just be delighted to see you each time. The thing that I was worried about the most was that the "official" seal on their crates would come off in transit and they wouldn't be allowed into Australia.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:20 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks...

Sue

You are allowed to visit your pets in Quarantine.

We couldnt ( as we were in Brisbane ) but a friend in Sydney went in a few times with her sons, to look on our dogs for us. They do have certain times when you may go. But its all good
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:32 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by big sis
When we moved over here, a long time ago (over 17 years), the animals had to be in quarantine for 60 days so we sent them over a month before we left England. They also went to Byford. The lovely staff were happy to keep me informed about how they were all doing when I rang up about them, from England. One of the cats went to the top of their cage and stayed there pretty much the whole time.......the quarantine staff put a sack over the top so she didn't get sunburnt. They also seperated the two dogs because they would play madly and were worried they would over heat......came over in January in full Winter coat to an Australian heatwave :scared: .......they still gave them short play times together each day. We visited with the dogs and cats once a week when we arrived and they seemed perfectly happy with that and we were able to leave them at Byford for an extra week after they were due out of quarantine while we arranged somewhere to live.

I think if Mishka is generally anxiety free he won't be stressed if you visit him and then leave. He will probably just be delighted to see you each time. The thing that I was worried about the most was that the "official" seal on their crates would come off in transit and they wouldn't be allowed into Australia.
We weren't going to visit our two as we thought it might distress them more. If they arrive before we do, maybe they would like a visit from you You never know, they might just remember you.

Love you loads xxxxxxx
Old Aug 29th 2005, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
We weren't going to visit our two as we thought it might distress them more. If they arrive before we do, maybe they would like a visit from you You never know, they might just remember you.

Love you loads xxxxxxx
We moved to Oz from the UK in October and were unable to visit our cat for the first two weeks because we were travelling in NZ on our way to Oz. When we did visit her she was very withdrawn and depressed. I'd say the people at the quarantine station were kind and to put our mind at ease saying that she was fine. Well she wasn't - not until she came out of quarantine. Once we were able we visited twice a week and I am sure it made a difference. She was certainly less withdrawn. I hope all goes well for you and your feline friend.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 12:28 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ian12
I hope all goes well for you and your feline friend.
My two are waggy woofers, but thanks for the sentiment I might have a re-think about visiting them. Suppose won't really be able to tell until the time.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

We visited our dog and really glad we did, Im pretty sure the dogs dont get excersised unless you visit them even if its just an hour of your company its better than sitting in your pen with a small run for 30days solid!
my advise if you can visit i would!

Claire
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:20 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks...

Sue
We haven't reach that stage yet but hopefully will do soon. We probably won't be able to visit as Stitch will arrive into Sydney and we'll be in Brisbane. I think myself I would get very upset if I wasn't able to take hime home when I saw him (as he would as well). Don't know how we'll cope and know it must be quite difficult for you.

All the best

Cheers

Ginny
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Thanks...

Sue
We were advised not to visit our dogs by our vet .He said it could cause them more stress because you would be leaving them again. He thought they would readjust better if when they see you next would be when you pick them up. His dogs were in quarantine twice the first time he could not visit the staff said they pined for a couple of days then settled ,he picked them up and they were a bit grumpy for a day or so. The second time he made regular visits ( 2 a week) the staff said after 3 visits not to visit again as the dogs pined for him every time he left and would not eat. So his advise from this experience was not to visit.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

I guess it's personal choice, but our vet said much the same thing as the previous poster. Our cats, surprised us when we collected them from Brisbane airport after the flight from Syd. They never gave us any cold shoulder, and have become if anything more affectionate.

We couldn't see them (being in Brissy), but given the choice I wouldn't have, because it's like getting their hopes up and having them dashed when you walk away again.

Good news that all your furry loved ones are doing well though Bella donna.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 4:37 am
Grumpy Old Woman!!

Moody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the rough

Thanks...

Sue
I couldn't wait to see my two cats and had to know if they were holding up ok so we visited as soon as we got to Perth! We have a boy who is aggressive and a girl who is timid...connected me thinks?! Anyway, the girl stayed up on her high perch all the time and the boy stayed in his bed box all the time except for when we visited so I think it was they only time they felt secure enough to venture out. They coped fairly well except the girl plucked out a big patch of fur on her side through stress - poor thing. The staff at Byford were very nice, they asked us which flavour of cat food they preferred (fish or chicken) and seemed genuinely interested in their wellbeing. It was just as well that we did visit as the boy cat was so aggressive (fearful) that the staff could not confirm his microchip number as they couldn't get anywhere near him! So they had to wait for us to pick him up and hold him whilst they did the relevant checks. These are just their character traits and nothing to do with shipping them over, the boy cat used to attack the vet all the time and had to be sedated for the slightest exam - and yet he's the soppiest animal at home with us!

I'm sure your pets will be just as well looked after and if you want to see them do it, they will be happy to see you.

MC
Old Aug 30th 2005, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

We too quaranteened in Byford nearly 2 years ago.
The centre encourages people to visit there pets as often as possible as they get very frightened and depressed wondering what is happeneing to themm whereas if they know that you will be visiting them again, they are much happier.
The first couple of times we went, my poor dog looked really miserable, but when she knew that we would be back, her attitiude changed.

Whisky
Old Aug 30th 2005, 5:07 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there. Our dog was in Byford in May this year, after 2 weeks in kennels in UK. I went to see him twice. The girls/guys who work there are fab, obviously animal lovers. The volume of noise in the runs where the dogs are is UNBELIEVABLE. As soon as the door opens at one end, all the dogs start barking. My young daughter was terrified!. Its definitely a massive onslaught to the senses. The first time we visited was a few days after he had arrived (a daft golden retriever) and I found it quite traumatic. He was loopy! Wouldn't come to me, ignored us completely out in the field. Thought we wouldn't go back, but I did brave it two weeks later laden with treats, games etc and he was almost normal! For a previous non-barker he was now giving his all in the runs too, in fact left almost barkless he was so hoarse.

If I had to go through it again, I would definitely visit, but would be prepared for any changes (temporary tho' they were) and would bring treats galore.

I don't think you will know how your dog/cats will react. My dog found it stressful not being able to play with the dogs, yet they were right there.

Good luck!!
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:54 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

My dog came out of Byford a bag of bones, they said he hadn't lost weight but I reckon they didn't weigh him either that or they where blind. Even my hubby was surprised and shocked by the state of him.
I told them he would not eat dried ped chum, I even offered to get somebody to drop something off something I knew he would eat, and when I rang after I arrived they said he was eating fine, no problems, did make me wonder but when I picked him up was really shocked, he got back to the house and ate like a lunatic for several days, I have never seen him eat so hastily, gulping it down terrified. He wont be going anywhere near quarantine ever again.

Jenny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.