Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To visit or not to visit?

To visit or not to visit?

Old May 26th 2006, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

tezluelle is on a distinguished road
Default To visit or not to visit?

Hi everyone, it has been a while since I last posted and currently I am half way through gathering together all the info for the dreaded TRA.

We had planned to visit Perth next January, having never visited Oz before, to make sure it was definietly what we wanted. However, I am sure that after spending a month there we will conclude that Perth is great and we want to move and we know that already without spending a much need £3500.

What do you all think, am I being crazy even considering moving without visiting first or are there some other crazy people out there too!

If we do visit in January, we will be taking a 2 year old and 3 month baby which I am dreading. Would much rather just go one way when the time comes and spend the money getting our house ready to sell.

Help me please, I feel obliged to go but my heart says that after staying for a month, really I will be non the wiser. How could I not love a holiday in Oz for a month?
Old May 26th 2006, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To visit or not to visit?

Originally Posted by tezluelle
Hi everyone, it has been a while since I last posted and currently I am half way through gathering together all the info for the dreaded TRA.

We had planned to visit Perth next January, having never visited Oz before, to make sure it was definietly what we wanted. However, I am sure that after spending a month there we will conclude that Perth is great and we want to move and we know that already without spending a much need £3500.

What do you all think, am I being crazy even considering moving without visiting first or are there some other crazy people out there too!

If we do visit in January, we will be taking a 2 year old and 3 month baby which I am dreading. Would much rather just go one way when the time comes and spend the money getting our house ready to sell.

Help me please, I feel obliged to go but my heart says that after staying for a month, really I will be non the wiser. How could I not love a holiday in Oz for a month?
I wouldn't go in January anyway, because of the temperature. Sure, you'll have to get used to it one day, but why go at the hottest time of year? It's not the best month to see Perth.
Old May 26th 2006, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tezluelle

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "how could I not love a holiday in Oz for a month?". It is very different living somewhere to just visiting and you will not know if it is for you till you live every day life. I was quite prepared to come out having never visited but as it happened we did visit, although we did not visit Brisbane and that is where we have settled. I know people who have migrated having never visited and in some respects they have settled easier as they had no expectations. I think in the end you have to do what is right for you.
Old May 26th 2006, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Sical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the rough

Feel for you - its a tough decision - my friends who are also applying are asked themseleves the same questions ( they have just passed TRA)they have decided to do the reckie.

We went on a reckie last year and, as a newly "just got my Visa " Girl - what I am now thinking, - whilst trying to find somewhere to stay etc - Is that I wished we had driven around so many more suburbs - as it makes the decision on where to book and for how long easier. You can picture places in your mind - there are certain things we saw etc that will make the difference in where to stay etc.

As it is the suburbs we drove around will not be the ones we are looking at - But as it is only short term (max 6 months) maybe that does not really matter in the end?, £3500 would about cover your rental for a 6 month unfurnished property!

We are glad we went on a reckie - would do the same again ( also we had to compare to east coast as my mates lives there - but still chose Perth) - others I am sure have not gone and still love the place, Its hard not to like it - in my opinion. Perhaps you could decide what sort of lifestyle you are after, what you want from the 24/7 of life, and post those questions re Perth, if the responses are all in favour of you getting what you want maybe forgo the reckie ? If not come and investigate.

Not gonna be easy with kids,- But I could always baby sit (gonna be missing my newly born nephew) !- Would deffo recomend you try and source some babysitting.

Good luck in your decision!
Old May 26th 2006, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Sical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tableland
I wouldn't go in January anyway, because of the temperature. Sure, you'll have to get used to it one day, but why go at the hottest time of year? It's not the best month to see Perth.
This is a good point - we deliberatly stayed away on hot times! ( boy are we gonna be in for a shock!) also prices of accomodation will likely be higher as its their summer, so you may have to increase your budget ( we even found Perth Zoo had winter reductions!)