Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visa Validation?

Visa Validation?

Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visa Validation?

Hi

We all went over to OZ to validate in November, the trouble is they did not stamp anything on the actual visa (they stamped on an empty page)
Does this matter?
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:02 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Validation?

I'm sure it is - I think theres a barcode thingy on the visa that verifys it
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:06 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

hehe they dont stamp on teh actual visa, they stamped mine on the page after at the lower corner but yeah I think the guy at the desk updates a databse on the computer he was at... and we seemed to take a bit longer than normal people
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:08 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottyTee
hehe they dont stamp on teh actual visa, they stamped mine on the page after at the lower corner but yeah I think the guy at the desk updates a databse on the computer he was at... and we seemed to take a bit longer than normal people
But isn't it cool when they say welcome to Australia, you are now permenant residents
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure that the bloke even see our visas, just opened our passports and stamped them. Surely he would have seen them - wouldn't he?
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:53 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sme
But isn't it cool when they say welcome to Australia, you are now permenant residents
didnt say that to us but probably becuase we had return tickets, but meh its been stamped before the date shown on teh visa and that is proof that it has been validated dont need anything special done
Old Feb 8th 2006, 6:04 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Hi

We all went over to OZ to validate in November, the trouble is they did not stamp anything on the actual visa (they stamped on an empty page)
Does this matter?
Hi Kevin

When you went through passport control your passports were scanned by a machine. It's a DIMIA system which updates when you are in and out of the country. They stamped ours on different pages, they don't stamp on the actual visa sticker.

Rich
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:21 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
But they don't Don't say anything about it at all - see too many of us I guess
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Hi Kevin

When you went through passport control your passports were scanned by a machine. It's a DIMIA system which updates when you are in and out of the country. They stamped ours on different pages, they don't stamp on the actual visa sticker.

Rich
Thanks for that, set my mind at ease!

So how do the airlines know if you have validated or not (so you can get 40kg luggage)?
Old Feb 8th 2006, 10:02 pm
sme
......in the sand !

Originally Posted by moneypen20

The man did with us - in a good mood I guess
Old Feb 8th 2006, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

terrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really nice

So how do the airlines know if you have validated or not (so you can get 40kg luggage)?
we arrived in brisbane on saturday, same old stuff with the visa, it gets scanned and stamped on a seperate page, why would you want them to soil that lovely page thats taken months to get? From the scan at the airport all of the government agencies get notified that you are in the country, including medicare. Much more effiecient than the UK!

We flew with singapore airlines, we pre-arranged the 40kg luggage allowance, but when we checked in they had no record of it on their system; 'computer says no'. A complete cock up courtesy of Auz travel, who we booked through.

we had already faxed copies of our passports to them proving that we had not entered Auz on the visa's previously, as they requested. They checked them again at the airport, and the additional luggage wasn't an issue, and boy did we have some luggage!

They were excellent at check in, and the cabin crew were great, we flew with a 9 month old and they couldn't do enugh for us.

T
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Hi Kevin
When we wanted our 40kg we weren't asked whether we'd validated or not- if I remember correctly they only asked for a photocopy of the visa then they reissued our tickets showing the new baggage allowance.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:23 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
We didn't get it either.

I think there should be a specific immigration booth for all new residents with balloons and a big banner saying welcome. The immigration officer has to be a true blue Aussie in a singlet, shorts and thongs. He stamps your passport then takes a stubbie out of the fridge and hands it to you saying "Good Onya, Welcome to Australia".
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YFitz
Hi Kevin
When we wanted our 40kg we weren't asked whether we'd validated or not- if I remember correctly they only asked for a photocopy of the visa then they reissued our tickets showing the new baggage allowance.
They ask for a copy of the visa so they can check its validity against the computer - that will tell them if its a valid visa, and if its an unused (unvalidated) visa. If your visa has already been validated they will know at once, and you are then relying on how generous they are feeling as to whether you get the extra allowance. It may come down to factors like whether they expect the flight to be full or not, but the baggage allowance rules generally are that you only get the extra on an unused PR visa, with a oneway ticket.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 6:46 am
sme
......in the sand !

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They ask for a copy of the visa so they can check its validity against the computer - that will tell them if its a valid visa, and if its an unused (unvalidated) visa. If your visa has already been validated they will know at once, and you are then relying on how generous they are feeling as to whether you get the extra allowance. It may come down to factors like whether they expect the flight to be full or not, but the baggage allowance rules generally are that you only get the extra on an unused PR visa, with a oneway ticket.
This is what I was informed by Qantas. They also wanted to charge a "special immigration" fare, as we had return tickets so as to validate they wouldn't issue the extra baggae allowance
Gillian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.