Reload this Page >

VISA question in re: 'partners'

VISA question in re: 'partners'

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 7:56 pm
American newbie

LinJoi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default VISA question in re: 'partners'

Hey guys:

As I previously wrote in my intro thingy -- I'm form hawaii, gonna be posted in Canberra (please say it's not as bad as I've been hearing?) ANYWAY, I work for the US Dept of State -- and I do have a partner (yes yes, of the same sex, won't apologize for my sexuality -- but I am sorry if y'all don't like it)...

So my question is: I WANT my partner with me, she wants to share the whole Australian experience, BUT, because she's not on my orders, is therefore unrecognized as my mate. ROYALLY sucks. Is there a visa that will grant her the opportunity to stay in country with me for the duration of my tour?

HELLPPP!!
Mahalo Nui Loa!
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VISA question in re: 'partners'

Originally Posted by LinJoi
Hey guys:

As I previously wrote in my intro thingy -- I'm form hawaii, gonna be posted in Canberra (please say it's not as bad as I've been hearing?) ANYWAY, I work for the US Dept of State -- and I do have a partner (yes yes, of the same sex, won't apologize for my sexuality -- but I am sorry if y'all don't like it)...

So my question is: I WANT my partner with me, she wants to share the whole Australian experience, BUT, because she's not on my orders, is therefore unrecognized as my mate. ROYALLY sucks. Is there a visa that will grant her the opportunity to stay in country with me for the duration of my tour?
Hiya,

HELLPPP!!
Mahalo Nui Loa!

Sorry can't help you, but try posting this on the immigration forum, they'd most probably have the answers for you
Old Sep 25th 2006, 10:52 pm
A new Perthonian!

HellasAU is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LinJoi
Hey guys:

HELLPPP!!
Mahalo Nui Loa!
Australia doesn't discriminate on same-sex relationships, and in fact, in the Visa application I filed, I had the option of selecting this option from the availables. Needless to say, I didn't because I am binging my girlfriend with me and I am male.

I guess it all depends on the type of visa you are applying for and how long you intend on staying in Australia.

Sorry if it's way off but hope this helps!
Old Sep 26th 2006, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

harryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the rough

Hi there.
As far as I know same sex couples can come in on the same visa as long as it's a business visa, but I'm unsure if your employer has to mention this to the immigration department when they're seeking approval to get you into the country.
I'm trying to get my partner in on my business visa while we wait for his PR to come through, and I've asked my employers about whether they need to get approval from immigration, so shall post once I've heard back from them.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harryed
Hi there.
As far as I know same sex couples can come in on the same visa as long as it's a business visa, but I'm unsure if your employer has to mention this to the immigration department when they're seeking approval to get you into the country.
I'm trying to get my partner in on my business visa while we wait for his PR to come through, and I've asked my employers about whether they need to get approval from immigration, so shall post once I've heard back from them.
From reading the thread by this poster in the Immigration forum, it seems that this is some kind of special diplomatic visa, and the rules seem to be very different. A "normal" sponsored employers visa may well allow the partner in, but in this case it appears to be down to government rules in the country of origin, which apparently doesn't recognise the relationship.
Full story HERE
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

harryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the rough

Given Pollyanna's reply this probably won't apply to LinJoi but may help others. My employers have confirmed my partner can come in on my business visa and they do have to inform/seek approval from immigration. The only information they have needed thus far is full name as per passport and date of birth.