Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

visa and proof of health insurance

visa and proof of health insurance

Old Feb 26th 2012, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Laddymanc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default visa and proof of health insurance

I have been offered a job in Melbourne and the company are asking me to provide certain things so they can sort my visa out for me, one of which is evidence of medical health insurance. I only have to provide a letter from the insurance company stating this has been set up for my arrival. I assume this a requirement of any via application? Not sure whats best to do here?? I dont want to pay for the policy before I have to and it is likely to take 6 months to sort everything out so ideally I dont want to start paying for it until Oct (my suggested arrival date). Really not sure whats best to do and wondered if anybody had been asked to provide the same info. Also there seems to be 100's of policies - whats level of policy should I take out as Medicare seems to cover certain things? Is Medicare enough on its own - does this too have to be completed before arrival in OZ?

Thanks
Old Feb 26th 2012, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visa and proof of health insurance

Everyone applying for this visa will need to take out a private health insurance policy. It doesn't typically take six months to sort out this visa, so if you don't want to pay for it too soon, then why not delay your application until nearer the time. Otherwise, no medical insurance no visa.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 4:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laddymanc
I have been offered a job in Melbourne and the company are asking me to provide certain things so they can sort my visa out for me, one of which is evidence of medical health insurance. I only have to provide a letter from the insurance company stating this has been set up for my arrival. I assume this a requirement of any via application? Not sure whats best to do here?? I dont want to pay for the policy before I have to and it is likely to take 6 months to sort everything out so ideally I dont want to start paying for it until Oct (my suggested arrival date). Really not sure whats best to do and wondered if anybody had been asked to provide the same info. Also there seems to be 100's of policies - whats level of policy should I take out as Medicare seems to cover certain things? Is Medicare enough on its own - does this too have to be completed before arrival in OZ?

Thanks
http://www.austhealth.com/

Sounds like a 457?
You can sign up with them and tell them the date you are entering Australia 9usually shortly before your start date at work). They bill you for an initial few $ to start the process, think its about $60 for a single person. Their policy confirmation is sufficient for DIAC to use when issuing the visa, and you don't pay any more premiums until your actually start using the policy - ie the start date already mentioned.

Once you arrive you can sign up with Medicare (if you are from a country eligible for reciprocal healthcare) and cancel the policy.

There are similar companies around, but thats the only one I have personal experience of.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 6:43 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Thanks for the reminder. One of the visa conditions for my dad who's coming here in July is that he must have health insurance. Anyone know of the best company to organise this with? Presumably he would need to sort it out in his country of residence?

Last edited by paulry; Feb 27th 2012 at 6:45 pm. Reason: typo
Old Feb 27th 2012, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute

I took out this policy with Go Walkabout http://www.go-walkabout.co.uk/fc_emi..._insurance.php it cost under £50 and satisfied the 457 visa requirements. This gives me time to register for medicare and maybe take out additional cover if need be.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DanSolihull
I took out this policy with Go Walkabout http://www.go-walkabout.co.uk/fc_emi..._insurance.php it cost under £50 and satisfied the 457 visa requirements. This gives me time to register for medicare and maybe take out additional cover if need be.
Dan, I have checked this out and it comes out at approx £70.00 for me and my partner. Does it definately cover the requirements for the 457?

Also, how did you work the start date of the policy - do you know if this can be altered once the policy is set up? I need the evidence for the 457 visa requirements - I have been asked to provide a letter stating adequate cover has been set up but I wont know my departure date until the visa has been granted - hope that makes sense?!

Can I ask you another question - did you have to write a statutory declaration stating you have no criminal convictions or illness? If so what template did you use and who can certify - I think there is a list on the goven website which includes nurses, docs, police etc.

Any help would really be appreciated as the process is all new to me!
Old Feb 28th 2012, 10:38 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Dan, I have checked this out and it comes out at approx £70.00 for me and my partner. Does it definately cover the requirements for the 457?

Also, how did you work the start date of the policy - do you know if this can be altered once the policy is set up? I need the evidence for the 457 visa requirements - I have been asked to provide a letter stating adequate cover has been set up but I wont know my departure date until the visa has been granted - hope that makes sense?!

Can I ask you another question - did you have to write a statutory declaration stating you have no criminal convictions or illness? If so what template did you use and who can certify - I think there is a list on the goven website which includes nurses, docs, police etc.

You should have a start date for the job, you have to put that on the 457 form, so you can start the insurance shortly before that - thats how it works with the company I linked to above. You can also change the date with the company nearer the time if you need to.

Why would you need to do a Stat Dec? Have DIAC asked you to?
Old Feb 28th 2012, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Hi Pollyana

I going to suggest start date as 1st Oct as so much to sort out this side too and it give time for the visa to be processed. Yeah been asked to provide statutory declaration saying I have no criminal convicitions or medical conditions. I have just used a template from the australian gov website, this too clarifies who can certify a statutory dec in Oz - will just get someone at work to sign as I am a nurse.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 11:32 am
Home and Happy

Hi Pollyana

I going to suggest start date as 1st Oct as so much to sort out this side too and it give time for the visa to be processed. Yeah been asked to provide statutory declaration saying I have no criminal convicitions or medical conditions. I have just used a template from the australian gov website, this too clarifies who can certify a statutory dec in Oz - will just get someone at work to sign as I am a nurse.
Put it as your date for the policy to start then, these companies are used to Aussie visas so if you need to change it they'll be flexible - plenty of money in it for them by recommendations!
Old Feb 28th 2012, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute

I took out this policy and sent the PDF document off as evidence of the policy along with application form and everything else for the 457 etc etc and my visa has now been approved.

With regard to the start date I was advised (I did query this myself with Go Walkabout) that to put an estimate travel date in and then when your start date is confirmed you can alter it at no extra cost. My job offer was ‘subject to visa approval’ and my start date was ‘to be confirmed’ so I had the exact same query. In terms of the letter you need Go Walkabout sent me a PDF document (within several minutes of the transaction) stating level of cover etc etc and as previously stated, my visa has now been approved so I am pretty sure that this will suffice the requirements of your visas also.

I had to fill out the 457 visa form, which covers convictions etc and I also have had to send off for a police certificate from ‘ACRO’, however the certificate is a condition of employment not a visa condition.

The process is all new to me too but as I am a few days / weeks ahead in terms of visa application / move then I hope this helps somewhat. I’ve still got loads of questions myself as I haven’t actually moved yet, should be moving in less than 3 weeks I think.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

cheers - I spoke to them I they suggested the same so I think I will go with this policy and hope its ok.