Wikiposts

Visa Hell!

Old May 14th 2003, 2:45 pm
Nix
Just Joined

Nix is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Visa Hell!

I'm a Pom, my fiance's a Kiwi and we want to live in OZ. What is so difficult to understand!? So far we've been told of 4 different visas I should apply for and then been told I can't apply for them!

My fiance lives and works in Oz and I've been here for a year on a tourist visa. I now have an ETA. Both were applied for after being given duff info by DIMA.

I've now been told that once we're married (Nov 5th 2003), I should apply for temporary residence sub class 461 which is for family members joing NZ citizen. Alternatively, I could apply for spouse migration or general skills migration...

Just wondering how many different visa applications DIMA will give me before deciding that I can actually lodge one!!!!
Old May 14th 2003, 2:58 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Hell!

Nix, is your fiance what is called an "eligible New Zealand citizen"? If she is your Australian visa options become a lot better, as such persons can act as sponsors for spouse visas (for example).

Here's the definition:
"eligible New Zealand citizen
means a New Zealand citizen who:
(a) at the time of his or her last entry to Australia, would have satisfied public interest criteria 4001 to 4004 and 4007 to 4009; and
(b) either:
(i) was in Australia on 26 February 2001 as the holder of a Subclass 444 (Special Category) visa that was in force on that date; or
(ii) was in Australia as the holder of a Subclass 444 visa for a period of, or periods that total, not less than 1 year in the period of 2 years immediately before 26 February 2001; or
(iii) has a certificate, issued under the Social Security Act 1991, that states that the citizen was, for the purposes of that Act, residing in Australia on a particular date."

If your fiance was living in Australia on or before 26/02/2001 I'd be positive about looking at the spouse visa options.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Nix
I'm a Pom, my fiance's a Kiwi and we want to live in OZ. What is so difficult to understand!? So far we've been told of 4 different visas I should apply for and then been told I can't apply for them!

My fiance lives and works in Oz and I've been here for a year on a tourist visa. I now have an ETA. Both were applied for after being given duff info by DIMA.

I've now been told that once we're married (Nov 5th 2003), I should apply for temporary residence sub class 461 which is for family members joing NZ citizen. Alternatively, I could apply for spouse migration or general skills migration...

Just wondering how many different visa applications DIMA will give me before deciding that I can actually lodge one!!!!
Old May 14th 2003, 8:49 pm
Nix
Just Joined

Nix is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately not! He was in the Middle East until 01/01/02. It'll work out eventually, eh. It's just REALLY frustrating that we can't get a solid answer from DIMA.

Anyway, I feel much better after my little rant