Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medical Agencies-Pricing Hospitals Out?

Medical Agencies-Pricing Hospitals Out?

Old May 15th 2003, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

garywarby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Agencies-Pricing Hospitals Out?

Hi All,
I posted a thread yesterday, but alas no replies, so I am trying again! I have found out from a Chief Radiographer, that medical agencies are charging an initial payment from hospitals for finding staff. I know that the agencies have to make money, but 5-6 thousand $'s as an initial payment plus 11% of the weekly wage paid to the candidate.

Having spoke to the Cheif Radiographer he is reluctant to pay the initial payment- I dont blame him. The thing is we really fancied the position but it looks like we will lose out. We have had untold problems with agencies but at this stage, Sold house ready to go in 4 weeks we have no option than to go with another agency, we are not kids on an adventure we want to settle in a place that suits. The first agency who we got the 457 through Drake cannot find work in Queensland! We are in posession of the visa and can travel on it but obviously can't work with it, I believe we have 28 days once in the country to sort out the new visa. We want to get another sponsor because the agency is shite! The X-rays,medicals, Police checks and proffesional accreditations are still valid and Clare's profession is on the MODL list. Does anybody know how long it would take to sort out, we have found another agency in Queensland who is willing to take us on, but I fear opportunities may be limited because of the initial payments they are charging hospitals!

In hindsight we would have done this differently ie, got Clare the visa as a skilled migrant, is it too late? has anybody heard of "Freespirit," i Have been told that they can sponsor and you are not restricted in where and who you can work for, can anybody confirm or deny?

Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated-Please help

Regards
Gary&Clare
Old May 15th 2003, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Medical Agencies-Pricing Hospitals Out?

Sounds awful.

Try:
www.freespirit.co..au and www.gnaustralia.com.au - two agencies that have pre-qualified visa status for medical staff and could potentially employ you.

On the specific question of agencies charging up front fees AND ongoing commision, this is very sharp practice. Normally the one-off fee is charged for a permanent placement, or an on-going fee for a temporary/contract placement. If he was willing, you may find the Chief Radiologist may be able to negotiate one or the other with the agency. In my experience, the agency would prefer to get some fee, rather than lose the whole assignment.

If you can't get yourslf sorted quickly, let me know. I do have a number of recruitment contacts in Australia who may be able to help you get some form of direct sponsorship. I'm no expert on this, but you could possibly look into some form of temporary working visa

best wishes

Kev
Old May 15th 2003, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

garywarby is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Kev,
I am going to ring Freespirit now, try and suss out the Crack!
Old May 15th 2003, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by garywarby
Cheers Kev,
I am going to ring Freespirit now, try and suss out the Crack!
Let me know how you get on.

Best of luck

Kev