Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visa Granted - timeline below

Visa Granted - timeline below

Old Aug 26th 2002, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

leeta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Granted - timeline below

I have now been granted my Independent Skilled Migration visa and since I have been using this site for information, would like to give others my timescale.

I submitted my application with medical report and police record (I did not include the xray film) to the Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre on 5 November 2001. I did the process by myself and did not use an agent. I did however write a covering letter and have a contents page and all the backing information as an appendix to the application ie a section for my CV, one for employer references, etc... It was well organised application that was easy to follow.
I applied as an Accountant (MODL but not priority processing).
I received confirmation of my application about a month afterwards.
I then heard nothing for months. I did however write to Adelaide asking for status of the application by mail and email a couple of times. I only had one reply which was not very 'friendly' and told me not to contact them as they were busy etc. So would not recommend writing.
Just wait.
I heard from Adelaide mid July saying that my visa was about to be granted and had to complete the change of cirumstances form. I sent this back to Adelaide. I have now received the grant letter and can pick up the visa.
So for a non priority applicant the process from submission to grant is about 9 months through Adelaide if the application is in good order and medical and police are up front.
I have to enter Aus by 2 October though which is rather soon, but hey cannot grumble. I thought it may take 20 months.
Best of luck to others and hope this is of help.
Cheers.
Old Aug 26th 2002, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

bevo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa Granted - timeline below

[QUOTE]Originally posted by leeta:
I have now been granted my Independent Skilled Migration visa and since I have been using this site for information, would like to give others my timescale.

Well done. We submitted our medicals etc in March and still had a last entry day of 9th Oct, luckily though we had already sold up and complete on Friday 13th Sept, as i wouldnt fly on that day we leave on the 14th - only 20 days eh Yvonne

Enjoy the moment and have a great life.

(if ive submitted this twice im sorry but had a bit of a party last night)
Old Aug 26th 2002, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

mcaprio is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi leeta,

Great ! I hope you the best for your migration to australia now !
Thank you for giving your timescale, this is very interesting for people waiting, with no news and having the same recommendations not to call or write to the immigration offices...

I'm waiting for my visa too and wondering why it is so long...
I didn't know it was possible to do the medical tests prior to send the application. I was waiting for their instructions for that but now, I'm going to do it asap.

I hope you will celebrate that !

Cheers,
Myriam

Originally posted by leeta:

I submitted my application with medical report and police record (I did not include the xray film) to the Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre on 5 November 2001. I did the process by myself and did not use an agent. I did however write a covering letter and have a contents page and all the backing information as an appendix to the application ie a section for my CV, one for employer references, etc... It was well organised application that was easy to follow.
I then heard nothing for months. I did however write to Adelaide asking for status of the application by mail and email a couple of times. I only had one reply which was not very 'friendly' and told me not to contact them as they were busy etc. So would not recommend writing.
Just wait.
I heard from Adelaide mid July saying that my visa was about to be granted and had to complete the change of cirumstances form. I sent this back to Adelaide. I have now received the grant letter and can pick up the visa.
So for a non priority applicant the process from submission to grant is about 9 months through Adelaide if the application is in good order and medical and police are up front.
I have to enter Aus by 2 October though which is rather soon, but hey cannot grumble. I thought it may take 20 months.
Cheers.
Old Aug 26th 2002, 8:41 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Myriam,

The reasons why it's not recommended that medicals be done before receiving DIMIA's instructions to go for them are:

1) The medicals are valid for 1 year from date of issuance, which explains why leeta was given such a short period of time to make the initial entry into Australia. If your DIMIA application processing overshoots the 1 year validity period of your medicals, you will have to re-do them before you get your visa.

2) The medical forms are not downloadable off DIMIA's website, which means you will either have to get them from a migration agent, or from the Australian High Commission or embassy in your country of residence.

3) Depending on which country you have your medicals, medical practitioners on DIMIA's approved list may want to see DIMIA's instructions before allowing you to do your medicals.

Peter
Originally posted by mcaprio:
I didn't know it was possible to do the medical tests prior to send the application. I was waiting for their instructions for that but now, I'm going to do it asap.
Old Aug 26th 2002, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by leeta:

Just wait.
Cheers.
I was wondering if you clarify something for me. Does your Visa date start from the date of your medicals and police check? If this is so I take it the quicker it's processed the longer you have to go out.

Thanks

Ginny
Old Aug 26th 2002, 10:53 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Ginny,

The visa is valid for 5 years from date of grant.

You have to make your initial entry (1st entry) before the expiry of your medicals/police checks, which is 1 year from date of issuance for these checks.

Peter
Originally posted by Ginny:
I was wondering if you clarify something for me. Does your Visa date start from the date of your medicals and police check? If this is so I take it the quicker it's processed the longer you have to go out.
Old Aug 26th 2002, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Hi guys

I hope you've all posted your timelines on:

http://www.austimeline.com/index.jsp

Congratulations and good luck!

love sophia xx
Old Aug 26th 2002, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Peter,

We understood that you had 1 year for initial entry but our medicals were done in March 2002 and we have an initial entry date of October 9th 2002

Keri
Old Aug 26th 2002, 12:49 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Keri,

>We understood that you had 1 year for initial entry but our medicals were done in March 2002
> and we have an initial entry date of October 9th 2002

I haven't done my medicals yet

Anyway, when were your police checks done? The date of first entry is the earlier of the expiry dates of the police or medical checks.

Peter
Old Aug 26th 2002, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ptlabs:
Peter,

our police checks and medicals were submitted at the same time. Our visas were granted 9th August ???
Old Aug 26th 2002, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point

19 days til we leave, 21 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE
hahaha less one.. musta missed one day during yer p*** up

Yvonne

19 days til we leave, 21 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE

Originally posted by bevo:

Well done. We submitted our medicals etc in March and still had a last entry day of 9th Oct, luckily though we had already sold up and complete on Friday 13th Sept, as i wouldnt fly on that day we leave on the 14th - only 20 days eh Yvonne

Enjoy the moment and have a great life.

(if ive submitted this twice im sorry but had a bit of a party last night)