Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visa granted in 2003 but didn't activate it!!

Visa granted in 2003 but didn't activate it!!

Old Apr 7th 2005, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

sally_fulford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa granted in 2003 but didn't activate it!!

I was granted a 136 visa in March 2003 for myself and two children. I had until August 2003 to activate it but due to a change in family circumstances didn't activate it, stupid I know!! I wrote to to the immigration department in July2004 and also September 2004 as I didn't receive a reply to the first letter. I asked if there was any chance they could extend the visa so that I could activate it, I received a reply last week, some nine months later, stating that there is room for an appeal.

As I hadn't heard from the immigration department, I decided in September 2004 to start the process all over again of applying for another visa. I was advised by the same migration agency that I used last time, although under new management, that I had sufficient points and to go ahead. I have completed all the medicals, police checks, x-rays, paid their fee and the lodgemnt fee, and once that they had all this they have now said that the points have changed and I am 5 points short!! Great. I now need an assurer of support and a sponsor, which is proving to be difficult.

Anyone out there got any advice on what to write to the immigration department in the hope they will extend my visa?? Or to say to the agents about how they have cocked me around!!
Thanks

Last edited by sally_fulford; Apr 7th 2005 at 4:00 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:14 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa granted in 2003 but didn't activate it!!

I'm afraid I dont think there's much chance of the visa being extended, as far as I'm aware once it's expired you have to start again.

What skill do you have? If it's on the MODL for South Australia you can go STNI and you only need 70 points, which might be something to consider.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Ansy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sally_fulford
I was granted a 136 visa in March 2003 for myself and two children. I had until August 2003 to activate it but due to a change in family circumstances didn't activate it, stupid I know!! I wrote to to the immigration department in July2004 and also September 2004 as I didn't receive a reply to the first letter. I asked if there was any chance they could extend the visa so that I could activate it, I received a reply last week, some nine months later, stating that there is room for an appeal.

As I hadn't heard from the immigration department, I decided in September 2004 to start the process all over again of applying for another visa. I was advised by the same migration agency that I used last time, although under new management, that I had sufficient points and to go ahead. I have completed all the medicals, police checks, x-rays, paid their fee and the lodgemnt fee, and once that they had all this they have now said that the points have changed and I am 5 points short!! Great. I now need an assurer of support and a sponsor, which is proving to be difficult.

Anyone out there got any advice on what to write to the immigration department in the hope they will extend my visa?? Or to say to the agents about how they have cocked me around!!
Thanks
Very unfortunate. I'm sure you've learned a lesson
Old Apr 9th 2005, 12:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sally_fulford

Thanks

DIMIA has almost certainly cancelled your visa as you didn't validate it. You will need to reapply from scratch barring some miracle - DIMIA are very keen that people respect the first entry date and have no sympathy for those who don't.

The skilled independent pass mark changed on 14th April 2004, when it increased from 115 to 120 points. Skilled sponsored pass mark is unchanged at 110 but unless you've got family living in Australia forget the idea (and there are special rules now if the sponsor lives in/near Sydney).

The SIR visa was introduced on 1 July 2004 - pass mark is 110 and South Australia is the most realistic option for this visa.

STNI/Skill Matching may be another regional migration opportunity for those with the right skills.

Download the up to date Skilled Migration Booklet for the most up to date view on visas.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Apr 9th 2005 at 12:50 am.