Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which visa is best

Which visa is best

Old Dec 14th 2005, 9:23 am

hutchy59 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which visa is best

When we first started to look into emigrating we thought I was to old at 46, but we have had some great advice from people on this site, I was told that the way forward for us was an RSMS visa. We have stayed up until 2am phoning the necessary people in Australia and they said yes this was the way to go. We have been in contact with firms in Western Australia and one of them said they would sponsor us, we still have to pay the bills and everything they just guarantee me work for 2 years. This morning we had an Email saying that they were applying for an 457 visa ! Well alarm bells are going off in my head because everything I've read on this site tells me not to go on this sort of visa, it seems we are risking everything and the company are not prepared to is it me or should I worry.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 9:40 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which visa is best

Originally Posted by [email protected]
When we first started to look into emigrating we thought I was to old at 46, but we have had some great advice from people on this site, I was told that the way forward for us was an RSMS visa. We have stayed up until 2am phoning the necessary people in Australia and they said yes this was the way to go. We have been in contact with firms in Western Australia and one of them said they would sponsor us, we still have to pay the bills and everything they just guarantee me work for 2 years. This morning we had an Email saying that they were applying for an 457 visa ! Well alarm bells are going off in my head because everything I've read on this site tells me not to go on this sort of visa, it seems we are risking everything and the company are not prepared to is it me or should I worry.
The advice isn't really that you shouldn't go with this visa, more that you should consider all the alternatives first. I'm no expert but I would say that if you've looked at the alternatives and come up blank, and you have someone willing and able to sponsor you for a 457 then go for it.

Having said that, do make sure you read Jeremy's sticky thread at the top of the Oz Immigration forum and do seriously consider what you will do when the 457 runs out.

Good luck.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 9:52 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Mate, I would always advise a person to get a PR visa first and foremost.
Where that is not possible an ENS or RSMS.
Last choice would be a 457.

As you have read there are a lot of restrictions, risks and worries on a 457.

There are a lot of people who came on a 457 and converted it successfully to a PR visa of some kind. Equally there are probably a lot who have not even though they wanted to. (I have no figures to substantiate this)

On a 457 you basically have no rights other than to pay full tax and higher costs for education. That maybe an over simplification but aint far off the truth.

Like you I was overage.
I came on a 457 and converted it to an RSMS which is what I hold now.
I only came on the 457 having what was in my opinion as good a guarantee as I could hope to get that the sponsor would support me in the RSMS quest.

The 457 served it's purpose but I hated being on it. You cannot truly feel confortable whilst on it.

An RSMS generally takes no longer to obtain than the 457. Have you gone back to them to clarify that it was the RSMS you were looking for ? May be a simple misunderstanding.

If they say it is a 457 you need the guarantees of following through with an RSMS later. In my opinion it would be better to offer to pay for the RSMS rather than go on a 457.

Sorry to sound so pessimstic but make sure you know what you are getting into.

Good luck.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 9:54 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
From the lion's mouth
Old Dec 14th 2005, 9:57 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
From the lion's mouth
Aye

I was typing my reply while you posted.
You got it spot on though.
If it's the only way.....................but what comes next?
Old Dec 14th 2005, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Mate, I would always advise a person to get a PR visa first and foremost.
Where that is not possible an ENS or RSMS.
Last choice would be a 457.

As you have read there are a lot of restrictions, risks and worries on a 457.

There are a lot of people who came on a 457 and converted it successfully to a PR visa of some kind. Equally there are probably a lot who have not even though they wanted to. (I have no figures to substantiate this)

On a 457 you basically have no rights other than to pay full tax and higher costs for education. That maybe an over simplification but aint far off the truth.

Like you I was overage.
I came on a 457 and converted it to an RSMS which is what I hold now.
I only came on the 457 having what was in my opinion as good a guarantee as I could hope to get that the sponsor would support me in the RSMS quest.

The 457 served it's purpose but I hated being on it. You cannot truly feel confortable whilst on it.

An RSMS generally takes no longer to obtain than the 457. Have you gone back to them to clarify that it was the RSMS you were looking for ? May be a simple misunderstanding.

If they say it is a 457 you need the guarantees of following through with an RSMS later. In my opinion it would be better to offer to pay for the RSMS rather than go on a 457.

Good luck.

Sound advice from one who knows. Consult an agent mate if you haven't already. It's all well and good doing it DIY if it's a straightforward case but when it's a bit iffy - best to get good and professional advice.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 10:10 am

hutchy59 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers lads I cant see us going out on a 457, it may sound petty but we seem to be the only ones willing to take the gamble and the company isn't. I know it can't be easy for them hiring someone you never met other than spoken too on the phone but it's hard for family's aswel.

Old Dec 14th 2005, 10:13 am
What's happening dudes?

Cheers lads I cant see us going out on a 457, it may sound petty but we seem to be the only ones willing to take the gamble and the company isn't. I know it can't be easy for them hiring someone you never met other than spoken too on the phone but it's hard for family's aswel.

MAybe you could be blunt and ask them if they would be prepared to sponsor you for RSMS or ENS after a period of time, assuming you keep you your nose clean, etc. You don't get if you don't ask. If that's the case then at least you have a chance of a PR visa from that route. I doubt they would actually guarantee anything but it depends what your plans are.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 11:13 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

It is probably worthwhile highlighting to the prospective employer that there are obligations as a 457-visa sponsor that don't pertain under the RSMS, including the requirement to make good any claims on Medicare that you or your family might have as 457-visaholders (subject to insurance arrangements and any Reciprocal Health Care Agreement arrangements that might be available) ...

Best regards.