Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

visa 457 in OZ ? Child Benefit back in UK !

visa 457 in OZ ? Child Benefit back in UK !

Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

obogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the rough
Default visa 457 in OZ ? Child Benefit back in UK !

Hi

Is anyone out in AUstralia on a 457 and know what you are entitled to back home especially if you still paying tax. We will be paying tax on our property ? As you not entitled to anything in Australia does that mean once you leave UK you still can claim the child benefit as residency in Oz is temporary !

Thanks
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:16 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visa 457 in OZ ? Child Benefit back in UK !

Originally Posted by obogk
Hi

Is anyone out in AUstralia on a 457 and know what you are entitled to back home especially if you still paying tax. We will be paying tax on our property ? As you not entitled to anything in Australia does that mean once you leave UK you still can claim the child benefit as residency in Oz is temporary !

Thanks
You are non resident in the UK and therefore entitled to nothing. If you continue to claim benefit and get caught you will be required to pay it back.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:25 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

The way I see it is if you went on a 2-year holiday abroad, you would be entitled to your child benefit.
On a 457 you are not a permanent resident of Australia and not entitled to any state benefits so I would (and did) continue to claim child benefit.
As soon as I got PR, I wrote to the benefit agency and told them I am leaving the country permanently and no longer wish to receive.

Andrew
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:36 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
The way I see it is if you went on a 2-year holiday abroad, you would be entitled to your child benefit.
On a 457 you are not a permanent resident of Australia and not entitled to any state benefits so I would (and did) continue to claim child benefit.
As soon as I got PR, I wrote to the benefit agency and told them I am leaving the country permanently and no longer wish to receive.

Andrew
It is fraud. If you are not resident in the UK for more than 12 months then you are not entitled it is as simple as that. If they found out they could request that you repay it.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/ch5_notes.pdf
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

obogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by northernbird
It is fraud. If you are not resident in the UK for more than 12 months then you are not entitled it is as simple as that. If they found out they could request that you repay it.

thanks for that will contact their advice line cheers
Old Jun 13th 2007, 5:36 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird

Yep spot on - we stopped claiming ours as soon as we left the UK on a 457
Old Jun 13th 2007, 5:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by obogk
Hi

Thanks
You cannot continue to claim it as you will not be resident in the UK. People who do not pay tax but live in the UK can claim child benefit, so the fact that you are paying tax on property but not living there does not entitle you to it.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:20 am
Banned

mancity is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,

we claimed it for 12 months after we left before telling them.
Nothing happened the government over in UK are clueless wa*kers.

But rest assured when we come back we had to forfeit the child benefit until we were straight.

Oh and the other thing, the government then handed us a bill for £5k for overpayments on tax credits.

Muppetry is all I can say for Scottish Brown and his clan.

Regardless of wether we owe or not, I wouldnt decalre a thing to this crowd in control at the moment. Take every penny you can as everyone else is.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:23 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by mancity
hi,

But rest assured when we come back we had to forfeit the child benefit until we were straight.

Oh and the other thing, the government then handed us a bill for £5k for overpayments on tax credits.

Regardless of wether we owe or not, I wouldnt decalre a thing to this crowd in control at the moment. Take every penny you can as everyone else is.
Fraud is fraud and I did what was right and proper and notified the relevant authorities. Even if I do think the government is a bunch of muppets you are claiming money that you are not entitled to.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

hi,

Hi what was your bill for ???? Child benefit ? The 12 months you claimed ?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:54 am
Banned

We never committed fraud it was an oversight.

When we declared we were out of the country on our return as we never knew about the P85 form. the child benefit agency gave us 2 options.
Pay it back or forfeit until its paid back. we took the latter so really it was interest free.

The working tax and child tax matter is just a typical issue with a nanny state that looks after the long term unemployed and immigrants on the welfare system before it looks at the young working class, trying to get on in life.....
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:55 am
Gutter Gob!!

We never committed fraud it was an oversight.

When we declared we were out of the country on our return as we never knew about the P85 form. the child benefit agency gave us 2 options.
Pay it back or forfeit until its paid back. we took the latter so really it was interest free.

The working tax and child tax matter is just a typical issue with a nanny state that looks after the long term unemployed and immigrants on the welfare system before it looks at the young working class, trying to get on in life.....
oversight for 12 months, my arse. If it was an oversight then the money should be sat in your bank account ready to pay back.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:58 am
Banned

It was a technical oversight, honest.

I didnt work in the Uk anymore, so basically we thought we were entitled along with all the other unemployed people to claim things.