Virus warning

Old Oct 12th 2002, 3:21 pm
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
micky's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Nr Glasgow
Posts: 514
micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough
Default Virus warning

This email was sent to me from someone in my address book. Please check your computer. Follow instructions below.
Mine had it - but not now.
Don't know if includes PM's and emails within this NG.
Thought I would let you all know - just incase. Let's know if you had it, the 'virus' that is!!!
Shona xxx


''A Virus has been passed on to me. My address book had in turn been infected.
Since you are in my address book, there is a good chance you will find it in
your computer too.
If so follow the directions below and eradicated the virus easily.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
The Virus (called jdbgmgr.exe) is not detected by Norton or McAfee anti-virus
systems.

The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system.

It is sent automatically by messenger and by the address book, whether or not
you sent emails to your contacts.

Here's how to check for the virus and how to get rid of it. YOU MUST DO THIS

1. Go to Start, Find or Search option
2. In the file/folders option, type the name: jdbgmgr.exe
3. Be sure you search your C: drive and all sub-folders and any other drives
you may have.
4. Click "find now"
5. The Virus has a teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe

DO NOT OPEN IT

6. Go to Edit (on the menu bar), choose "select all" to highlight the file
without opening it.
7. Now go to File (on the menu bar) and select delete. It will then go to the
Recycle Bin.
8. Go to the Recycle Bin and delete it there as well

IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK,
SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS.

SORRY ABOUT THIS

To do this:-

a) Open a new e-mail message
b) Click the icon of the address book next to the "TO"
c) Highlight every name and Add to "BCC"
d) Copy this message....enter subject.....paste to e-mail.....send.

Sorry about this, ''
micky is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2002, 3:41 pm
  #2  
Pat
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Victoria Aus,
Posts: 49
Pat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Virus warning

Before you do anything put the file named in google search engine and you find it is a hoax that is doing the rounds
Pat is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2002, 3:45 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
shaun/lor's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: geelong, vic. forever
Posts: 634
shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Virus warning

Originally posted by Pat:
Before you do anything put the file named in google search engine and you find it is a hoax that is doing the rounds

i can confirm this is a hoax, dont deleate the said file . if you are a member of australia here we come there is information on there about it.
hope this helps shaun
shaun/lor is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2002, 3:51 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: scotland maybe melbourne
Posts: 22
weesimbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Virus warning

Originally posted by micky:
This email was sent to me from someone in my address book. Please check your computer. Follow instructions below.
Mine had it - but not now.
Don't know if includes PM's and emails within this NG.
Thought I would let you all know - just incase. Let's know if you had it, the 'virus' that is!!!
Shona xxx


''A Virus has been passed on to me. My address book had in turn been infected.
Since you are in my address book, there is a good chance you will find it in
your computer too.
If so follow the directions below and eradicated the virus easily.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
The Virus (called jdbgmgr.exe) is not detected by Norton or McAfee anti-virus
systems.

The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system.

It is sent automatically by messenger and by the address book, whether or not
you sent emails to your contacts.

Here's how to check for the virus and how to get rid of it. YOU MUST DO THIS

1. Go to Start, Find or Search option
2. In the file/folders option, type the name: jdbgmgr.exe
3. Be sure you search your C: drive and all sub-folders and any other drives
you may have.
4. Click "find now"
5. The Virus has a teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe

DO NOT OPEN IT

6. Go to Edit (on the menu bar), choose "select all" to highlight the file
without opening it.
7. Now go to File (on the menu bar) and select delete. It will then go to the
Recycle Bin.
8. Go to the Recycle Bin and delete it there as well

IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK,
SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS.

SORRY ABOUT THIS

To do this:-

a) Open a new e-mail message
b) Click the icon of the address book next to the "TO"
c) Highlight every name and Add to "BCC"
d) Copy this message....enter subject.....paste to e-mail.....send.

Sorry about this, ''
According to symantec (Norton Antivirus) this is a ligitimate file and is installed with windows and is considered a hoax.
If you delete this file it may cause problems so it is not advisable, however there is a virus that can affect this file but it is covered by norton since May 2001

This message is a hoax so BE WARNED DO NOT DELETE THIS FILE....
weesimbo is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2002, 3:55 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: scotland maybe melbourne
Posts: 22
weesimbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Virus warning

Everyones on the ball today
weesimbo is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2002, 4:11 pm
  #6  
Ex Mod (2002-2005)
 
ptlabs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: NSW
Posts: 5,464
ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Virus warning

Just to add on to the string of replies, the file mentioned is installed by Microsoft for use by its Java Debugger. If the file is deleted, who knows what might happen to your Internet Explorer experience


Peter

P.S. Usually an "advice" to delete a particular file in your system should be viewed with as much trust as an "appeal" for you to send a $5 note to the first person on a list of addresses in a chain email.
ptlabs is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2002, 5:53 pm
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 322
Juls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Virus warning

Originally posted by shaun/lor:



i can confirm this is a hoax, dont deleate the said file . if you are a member of australia here we come there is information on there about it.
hope this helps shaun

Hi ya,

Yes, has Shaun said this was put on the message board of AHWC site, we had a emailed regarding this and have done nothing, so far we are not affected!

By the way look out for hackers on Expats site too, I've had a couple of them now trying to get in through the back door !
Has if we don't have enough to be getting on with worrying about our visa's coming through !

Cheers Julie
Adelaide by early 2003.
Juls is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2002, 6:52 pm
  #8  
Hot and sweaty member!!
 
yvsie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: WA I think!
Posts: 2,031
yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Virus warning

omg....ive deleted the bloody file!!!!

what now????
yvsie is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2002, 7:10 pm
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Ginny's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 455
Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Virus warning

Originally posted by yvsie:
omg....ive deleted the bloody file!!!!

what now????
ME TO!!

ARGH HELP!

Ginny.
Ginny is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2002, 7:37 pm
  #10  
Pat
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Victoria Aus,
Posts: 49
Pat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Virus warning

Originally posted by Ginny:


ME TO!!

ARGH HELP!

Ginny.
Hope this helps , Pat


How to restore the Jdbgmgr.exe file
If you have deleted this file, restoration is optional. However, without it, some Java applets may not run correctly. This is not a critical system file.

To restore the file, follow the instructions in the Microsoft Knowledge Base article Virus Hoax: Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java (Jdbgmgr.exe) Is Not a Virus (Q322993).
Pat is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2002, 7:45 pm
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
rday's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 359
rday will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Virus warning

dont panic.
first put all important things ie letters,adresses,passwords,photos,onto disk.
then use your recovery disk to remove windows then put windows back,then effectivly you will have a brand new pc.thenput in disk that u have copied your photos etc,then drag n drop these bits onto your desk top or directly into the right places.

the important thing for now is to put your stuff onto disk first.
rday
rday is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2002, 8:24 pm
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
mashiraz's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Derby
Posts: 1,656
mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Virus warning

Have a look at http://securityresponse.symantec.com...file.hoax.html

they had advice about this and a place where you can download the file again from.

I'd never do anything these virusmongers tell you without checking it out first.
Lesson learned...
Mash

Originally posted by rday:
dont panic.
first put all important things ie letters,adresses,passwords,photos,onto disk.
then use your recovery disk to remove windows then put windows back,then effectivly you will have a brand new pc.thenput in disk that u have copied your photos etc,then drag n drop these bits onto your desk top or directly into the right places.

the important thing for now is to put your stuff onto disk first.
rday
mashiraz is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2002, 8:33 pm
  #13  
 
cinderella's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Cheshire, England
Posts: 743
cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of
Default Re: Virus warning

Originally posted by mashiraz:
Have a look at http://securityresponse.symantec.com...file.hoax.html

they had advice about this and a place where you can download the file again from.

I'd never do anything these virusmongers tell you without checking it out first.
Lesson learned...
Mash

You should always go to the Symantec site and search for the suspected virus in their search facility. As stated above they will advise you what action to take if needed.

I had the Jdbgmgr.exe as well, so have deleted it now.

Kind regards,

Cinderella
cinderella is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2002, 8:36 pm
  #14  
Hot and sweaty member!!
 
yvsie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: WA I think!
Posts: 2,031
yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Virus warning

Originally posted by mashiraz:
Have a look at http://securityresponse.symantec.com...file.hoax.html

they had advice about this and a place where you can download the file again from.

I'd never do anything these virusmongers tell you without checking it out first.
Lesson learned...
Mash

yeah too right mash lesson learned!!

thanks for that link, i'll get my son to sort it tomorrow!!
yvsie is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2002, 8:42 pm
  #15  
BE Enthusiast
 
Ginny's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 455
Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Virus warning

Originally posted by yvsie:


yeah too right mash lesson learned!!

thanks for that link, i'll get my son to sort it tomorrow!!
Hi there,

Lesson learnt here as well. I suppose I was rather niave because I've never had to deal with a virus before. I'll be watching out from now. Thanks for the help.

Ginny
Ginny is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.