Virus Alert!

Old Mar 31st 2004, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Virus Alert!

Both my computers are down at the moment infected with viruses. One thing they seem to have more of out here is viruses!

It really was our own fault as we disabled the Norton for 2 days and forgot to put it back on. In that time we got 3 different virus on one computer and 2 on the other. One of them is called Fatboy and is fairly new.

Just warning you to be protected users and always practice safe Internet access or else it will be an expensive mistake
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:00 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Virus Alert!

Originally posted by tinaj
Both my computers are down at the moment infected with viruses. One thing they seem to have more of out here is viruses!

It really was our own fault as we disabled the Norton for 2 days and forgot to put it back on. In that time we got 3 different virus on one computer and 2 on the other. One of them is called Fatboy and is fairly new.

Just warning you to be protected users and always practice safe Internet access or else it will be an expensive mistake
Easiest way to avoid a virus is not to use Microsoft Outlook.

Second easiest way is never open email attachments from people you don't know.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:00 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Tell me about it. We have just taken over a site because the person that set it up did not test the backups or the virus updates. He did not hand it over to us and funnily enough every exe there got infected. Luckily it was a Novell site so the server was fine.

I am in the process of upgrading the AV software here. The new software updates every 60 minutes and users cannot disable it.

BTW keep yourself up to date with windows update as well. Plenty of viruses bypass AV software through security flaws in Windows.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:03 am

Originally posted by renth

Yep and yep (but theres always one that will open that exe). We use groupwise here and are down a fraction of the time other exchange sites we know of.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:33 am

Originally posted by renth

What client do you use Renth?
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:38 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Yep and yep (but theres always one that will open that exe). We use groupwise here and are down a fraction of the time other exchange sites we know of.
Thats because you use a superior product
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:53 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

What client do you use Renth?
I use a combination of webmail and a Mozilla 1.3's email client at work and exclisively webmail for home
Old Apr 1st 2004, 2:10 am

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Thats because you use a superior product
It certainly is a more stable product.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 5:22 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

I tried Norton but it wasn't compatible with my Tiny machine running ME. It killed my pc so I had to run recovery disc which has now set me back 3 or so years. Have now installed McAfee which seems to be fine, it is detecting a number of viruses at the moment. Saved at last, lol.

Regards
Sarah
Old Apr 1st 2004, 6:44 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

the number of viruses being released into the wild in the past 2 months has been spectacular.The anti-v companies are really struggling to keep up with them

as a quick fix you can download the stinger tool from

http://www.nai.com/us/index.asp

(its on the right of the screen )

also

http://www.f-secure.com/

the reason I post these is that some people still dont have an anti-v on their machines.

The latest vius is a beaut -it executes itself on unpatched versions of IE 5.5 and below
Old Apr 1st 2004, 6:48 am

Since Monday Sophos have issued 11 identity updates. I use AVG from www.grisoft.com . It is free and so far I am virus free.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 8:00 am
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

As well as the AV software that everybody is using.............

Don't forget a good FIREWALL.

Us IT'ers will probably have them but it is equally important for all.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Bondi,

I got a crack for AVG and you are right it appears to be a really good product. It has caught stuff that CA's Etrust has not.

Not bad for a freebie
Old Apr 1st 2004, 9:29 am

Originally posted by Billabong
Bondi,

I got a crack for AVG and you are right it appears to be a really good product. It has caught stuff that CA's Etrust has not.

Not bad for a freebie
I am migrating away from CA at work. It wasn't up to it. I am dreading the rollout day because I think there will be a few minor infections around.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 9:34 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

I am migrating away from CA at work. It wasn't up to it. I am dreading the rollout day because I think there will be a few minor infections around.
Honestly believe CA is the WORST in antiv.Think it cheapness in cost is why it is even considered as an option.We tested it against 3 other vendors and it failed miserably.

do you have CA ammo package software - will do your roll out beautifully

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.