Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Virgin Super ....beware!

Virgin Super ....beware!

Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

cat5 will become famous soon enoughcat5 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Virgin Super ....beware!

Having a really bad experience with them, have not been able to access my on line account since about 10 months now due to data corruption to there system!

I have made a complaint and have to wait for there legal 90 days notice period

There explanation is they have to sort out each account manually and there is nothing they can do.

Apparently Virgin are letting another company administrate the super, called "Pillar"

Serious fed up with them.... any one recommend a better Super company?

Old Apr 15th 2011, 10:08 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Virgin Super ....beware!

For what it's worth Virgin Money and the savings accounts are equally as sh*te in Australia. They are just rebadged Citibank and you log into the Citibank portal but with a nice Virgin banner instead. Same call center in HK who are crap beyond belief and all my complaints went unanswered.

At one point they debited a random $3000 in witholding tax for no apparent reason despite having my TFN and the previous few months being calculated just fine. A "system glitch" that actually took 2 months for a refund.

Virgin globally is nothing more than a loosely aligned group of separate companies who like the colour red pay to share a logo. It's a franchise and nothing more sadly.

What it isn't is a globally aligned product. It's a real shame because some of the Virgin companies have merit. Virgin Atlantic I like, Virgin Blue has done much to bring serious competition and shove it in Qantas's face.

WTF with Virgin Cola though - who though that was ever going to be a good idea.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 6:53 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

It's all kept the Grinning Pullover in bread and gruel for a couple of decades though.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Centurion
For what it's worth Virgin Money and the savings accounts are equally as sh*te in Australia. They are just rebadged Citibank and you log into the Citibank portal but with a nice Virgin banner instead. Same call center in HK who are crap beyond belief and all my complaints went unanswered.

At one point they debited a random $3000 in witholding tax for no apparent reason despite having my TFN and the previous few months being calculated just fine. A "system glitch" that actually took 2 months for a refund.

Virgin globally is nothing more than a loosely aligned group of separate companies who like the colour red pay to share a logo. It's a franchise and nothing more sadly.

What it isn't is a globally aligned product. It's a real shame because some of the Virgin companies have merit. Virgin Atlantic I like, Virgin Blue has done much to bring serious competition and shove it in Qantas's face.

WTF with Virgin Cola though - who though that was ever going to be a good idea.
I was sucked in by the reputation of Virgin and the low fees, and i could transfer my UK pension because at the time Virgin was one of the few which was QROPS approved.... but wish i didn't.

I am looking at BT for life, which has a good online management system, but then there's Australian Super which seems to come out on top, i think insurance is automatically by default included too.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 2:59 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cat5
I was sucked in by the reputation of Virgin and the low fees, and i could transfer my UK pension because at the time Virgin was one of the few which was QROPS approved.... but wish i didn't.

I am looking at BT for life, which has a good online management system, but then there's Australian Super which seems to come out on top, i think insurance is automatically by default included too.

I have been in the same boat - my attention was drawn to it by another poster on this site. I Emailed Virgin about it and got this reply:

Dear Swerv-o,

Thanks for your recent e-mail.
We are still working on migrating all of the member data to our new system which has resulted in the need to suppress your account. We can confirm that we are in the final stages of this process.

Whilst I can not give you an exact date of when your account will become available online we are currently looking into your account and are striving to provide you with Online access as soon as possible. Please be advised that this is only a system related issue and your funds are still safely invested within Virgin Super.
We apologise for any inconvenience this has caused and appreciate your patience during this period.
We can confirm the employer contributions made to this account. Can you please confirm if you are wanting a list of all employer contributions, or a list of a particular employers contributions?
Any address update can be done via email, if you wish please respond to this email also confirming your updated mailing address and we will have this updated for you.
Further Information
If you have any questions just give our Customer Care Team a call on 1300 652 770, they’re available 8am-6pm EST Monday to Friday (apart from public holidays) or head to our website www.virginmoney.com.au.
Kind regards
David Curneen
Director of Investments and Insurance
So maybe there might be merit in contacting David Curneen directly.

So I am not too worried about it at the moment - I will give them a bit longer to get their act together. I am reluctant to churn to a new account, as I have been reasonably impressed with the returns I have seen from Virgin, even during the downturn/GFC crisis.

If this carries on though, I dare say that I may start to change my mind. I don't feel the need to look at my super balance on a daily basis, so I'm not too worried about it at the moment.

Let's keep an eye on it though.

S
Old Apr 17th 2011, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

ColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud of

While we are discussing super, what super are the general populace here using? I've got two accounts (both set up by employers) with AMP and Colonial First State, and I'm finally getting around to doing the grown up thing of rolling them into one or the other, or closing the two down and rolling them into a third new account altogether.

Of the two, I'd probably close the Colonial super account and roll the funds into AMP, but the others I am considering are BT Super for Life or UniSuper (where I have an account from my days as a University tutor).

Anyone got any experience with BT Super for Life? Or recommend any others? MLC?
Old Apr 17th 2011, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I have been in the same boat - my attention was drawn to it by another poster on this site. I Emailed Virgin about it and got this reply:

So maybe there might be merit in contacting David Curneen directly.

So I am not too worried about it at the moment - I will give them a bit longer to get their act together. I am reluctant to churn to a new account, as I have been reasonably impressed with the returns I have seen from Virgin, even during the downturn/GFC crisis.

If this carries on though, I dare say that I may start to change my mind. I don't feel the need to look at my super balance on a daily basis, so I'm not too worried about it at the moment.

Let's keep an eye on it though.

S
Thanks for quoting that reply..... but for me, i really have run out of patience with them, i have made so many phone calls and email's to them, and i just get the same response...that they are down to the last 1,800 c..up's, and they are manually sorting it out, but after all this time it really is a crap service.

It's lucky i'm not retiring now....time to change Super me thinks!
Old Apr 17th 2011, 9:35 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ColonialCousin
While we are discussing super, what super are the general populace here using? I've got two accounts (both set up by employers) with AMP and Colonial First State, and I'm finally getting around to doing the grown up thing of rolling them into one or the other, or closing the two down and rolling them into a third new account altogether.

Of the two, I'd probably close the Colonial super account and roll the funds into AMP, but the others I am considering are BT Super for Life or UniSuper (where I have an account from my days as a University tutor).

Thanks for quoting that reply..... but for me, i really have run out of patience with them, i have made so many phone calls and email's to them, and i just get the same response...that they are down to the last 1,800 c..up's, and they are manually sorting it out, but after all this time it really is a crap service.

It's lucky i'm not retiring now....time to change Super me thinks!

I did quite a lot of research into this when I first arrived - I think that I found that Care Super was pretty good, though this BT Super now looks like quite a good deal too.

There was another I remember searching, but I can't recall the name now. I had a huge comparison spreadsheet that worked out all the fees etc. Not sure wher ethat is now. Possibly at work.

I went with Virgin in the end, as they were QROPS compliant, but it wasn't worth bringing my UK pension over in the end, as it was so tiny it would have been completely consumed by fees.

S
Old Apr 17th 2011, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

llanfachreth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ColonialCousin

AMP are expensive.
Colonial First State now pretty much the cheapest Retail fund.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 1:02 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

When I arrived and got a job I had no idea what super was so did a bit of reading and spoke to a lot of co-workers, I've now got BT super for life and got no complaints, the other option was Australian Super, few co workers rekon its great.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 11:17 pm
has lost The Game

I did quite a lot of research into this when I first arrived - I think that I found that Care Super was pretty good, though this BT Super now looks like quite a good deal too.

There was another I remember searching, but I can't recall the name now. I had a huge comparison spreadsheet that worked out all the fees etc. Not sure wher ethat is now. Possibly at work.

I went with Virgin in the end, as they were QROPS compliant, but it wasn't worth bringing my UK pension over in the end, as it was so tiny it would have been completely consumed by fees.

S

OK, I did some digging and found it. The Super Fund that I found to be most competitive was AGEST - Ostensibly the super fund for government workers, but still an open fund meaning that anybody can join it.

AGEST Super

I found their fee structure to be among the cheapest. I also found my performance calculator spreadsheet which I used to compare the various fees and funds. I will attach it here, with the caveat that the fee structure on the sheet has not been updated since 2006, and may well need changing now.

S
Old Apr 17th 2011, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

johnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of light

OK, I did some digging and found it. The Super Fund that I found to be most competitive was AGEST - Ostensibly the super fund for government workers, but still an open fund meaning that anybody can join it.

AGEST Super

I found their fee structure to be among the cheapest. I also found my performance calculator spreadsheet which I used to compare the various fees and funds. I will attach it here, with the caveat that the fee structure on the sheet has not been updated since 2006, and may well need changing now.

S
Remember that if pension funds are moved into an Australian super fund, the super fund needs to have QROPS status. If the super fund is then rolled into another fund, then new fund will also need QROPS status (for the UK part of the fund) otherwise tax will apply as it will be regarded as an unauthorised payment.
if the required time has not elapsed (I think 5 years).
Old Apr 17th 2011, 11:31 pm
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by johnnye
Remember that if pension funds are moved into an Australian super fund, the super fund needs to have QROPS status. If the super fund is then rolled into another fund, then new fund will also need QROPS status (for the UK part of the fund) otherwise tax will apply as it will be regarded as an unauthorised payment.
if the required time has not elapsed (I think 5 years).

Yes, and amazingly most industry or mutual funds are NOT QROPS approved, yet the commercial [read high fee] funds are, so you end up paying one way or another.

The Virgin fund was a good compromise - a reasonably inexpensive fee structure, while still being a QROPS approved fund.

S
Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Oz Dreaming is on a distinguished road

I cannot believe how bad Virgin Super are. After still not being able to access my account after 1 yr of upgrade + " we are having some minor problems upgrading but it will shortly be fixed"x 15 + 5 complaints (all never resolved in the 90 days)

I decided to change super to my company super. Virgin have dragged their feet for 2 months, first after 3wks after my request they sent me a form asking for certified confirmation of my address and ID, needed in 10days of the letter, even though it was dated 6 days before i received it. (why they needed confirmation of where i lived seeing that i opened my account with this address and gave all that then.

Then 3 wks after that i get an email asking when i opened the account as they cannot proceed with the transfer until they get that info. Now today they finally phone up and say sorry your company super is not QROPS.

I could have thrown the phone across the room. When i explained how annoyed i was with virgin and was concerned as it seems like a Bernard Maddof scam the operator told me no Virgin is a reputable company. I pointed out if she had her money in a savings account and the bank wouldnt give her a statement or access for 1 yr then made it very difficult to transfer the money what would she would think.

I am now going to transfer all my australian contributions to my company super, temporary leaving the UK pension in Virgin. Then decide whether to open a QROPS super or wait out the 5 yr rule.

As the title says Virgin Super Beware
Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

johnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Oz Dreaming
I cannot believe how bad Virgin Super are. After still not being able to access my account after 1 yr of upgrade + " we are having some minor problems upgrading but it will shortly be fixed"x 15 + 5 complaints (all never resolved in the 90 days)

I decided to change super to my company super. Virgin have dragged their feet for 2 months, first after 3wks after my request they sent me a form asking for certified confirmation of my address and ID, needed in 10days of the letter, even though it was dated 6 days before i received it. (why they needed confirmation of where i lived seeing that i opened my account with this address and gave all that then.

Then 3 wks after that i get an email asking when i opened the account as they cannot proceed with the transfer until they get that info. Now today they finally phone up and say sorry your company super is not QROPS.

I could have thrown the phone across the room. When i explained how annoyed i was with virgin and was concerned as it seems like a Bernard Maddof scam the operator told me no Virgin is a reputable company. I pointed out if she had her money in a savings account and the bank wouldnt give her a statement or access for 1 yr then made it very difficult to transfer the money what would she would think.

I am now going to transfer all my australian contributions to my company super, temporary leaving the UK pension in Virgin. Then decide whether to open a QROPS super or wait out the 5 yr rule.

As the title says Virgin Super Beware
Why not move it all to an indusry standard QROPS fund instead?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.