Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Violent crime escalating in Perth

Violent crime escalating in Perth

Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Violent crime escalating in Perth

I've been in Perth for over 3 and half years now, and after initial trepidation have settled down and am now enjoying my life here.

But...

Is it just me, or has violent crime escalated scarily over the past year or so in Perth?

It seems that every morning there are reports of armed break-ins, hold-ups etc etc.

Just this week off the top of my head I can recall an 84 year old woman in a nursing home being stabbed in the chest, the manager of a caravan park being beaten and robbed, several armed home invasions, shop owners being threatened with syringes/knives/guns and robbed.

I'm not sure if they're being reported more, or that violence is on the increase. But it's bloody worrying.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 2:00 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Violent crime escalating in Perth

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
Is it just me, or has violent crime escalated scarily over the past year or so in Perth?
Probably caused by people from the Gold Coast on holiday.....I blame the cheap airlines
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 2:07 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It does sound exactly like what we are seeing on this side of the country, the Gold Coast has gone crazy. Not sure what the answer is really.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 2:13 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chris955
... the Gold Coast has gone crazy. Not sure what the answer is really.
Stop watching TV, stop reading newspapers. All of a sudden you'll find your perceived levels of safety skyrocket and life will feel safe and normal again.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 2:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in Perth for over 3 and half years now, and after initial trepidation have settled down and am now enjoying my life here.

But...

It seems that every morning there are reports of armed break-ins, hold-ups etc etc.

Just this week off the top of my head I can recall an 84 year old woman in a nursing home being stabbed in the chest, the manager of a caravan park being beaten and robbed, several armed home invasions, shop owners being threatened with syringes/knives/guns and robbed.

I'm not sure if they're being reported more, or that violence is on the increase. But it's bloody worrying.
It's just you
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 2:38 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I don't read papers very often but do watch the news. As I asked in another thread is it better to be blissfully ignorant of these things ? I guess in some ways it is.

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Stop watching TV, stop reading newspapers. All of a sudden you'll find your perceived levels of safety skyrocket and life will feel safe and normal again.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 2:49 am
Banned

There are certainly plenty of articles out there that comment on the escalating violence in Perth as well as many other places. Like I said I don't know what the reasons are, young people drinking more ? More and more violence on TV and the Internet ? There are probably plenty of reasons for the increase.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

In the UK you would think it was a lawless African state if you listened to the news or read certain papers every day. The reality for 99% of people was that it was no different.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 4:04 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
Probably caused by people from the Gold Coast on holiday.....I blame the cheap airlines
what you think there's crime on the Gold Coast? ...

Old Aug 3rd 2011, 4:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
what you think there's crime on the Gold Coast? ...

Not now. They're all over here committing crimes
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 4:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If you believed the news you would have all windows and doors barricaded and never set foot outside. Perspective people, please.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 4:15 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
If you know of any cheap airlines please let me know - the way ticket prices are shooting up is criminal. Just paid out $2500 for return flights ADL-BNE for two adults and 3 children under 8 - for not much more I could get them all to the UK and back.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 4:21 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
If you know of any cheap airlines please let me know - the way ticket prices are shooting up is criminal. Just paid out $2500 for return flights ADL-BNE for two adults and 3 children under 8 - for not much more I could get them all to the UK and back.
Tiger's supposed to be flying again soon. 50% chance of arriving in one piece with them.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
If you believed the news you would have all windows and doors barricaded and never set foot outside. Perspective people, please.
So the news reports of these crimes are lies?

I'm not sure what 'perspective' has to do with it. It's pretty clear that these crimes are taking place. The news I listen to has senior police giving details of the crimes.

You can't bury your head in the sand and pretend this stuff doesn't happen.

Edit: or maybe you can? You'd be leading a pretty sheltered life though.

Last edited by The_Wookie; Aug 3rd 2011 at 4:36 am. Reason: Change of mind
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 4:38 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

So the news reports of these crimes are lies?

I'm not sure what 'perspective' has to do with it. It's pretty clear that these crimes are taking place. The news I listen to has senior police giving details of the crimes.

You can't bury your head in the sand and pretend this stuff doesn't happen.

Edit: or maybe you can? You'd be leading a pretty sheltered life though.
I acknowledge it happens but don't dwell on it. If you do put it in perspective and realise that Perth is a metro area of roughly 1.5 million. I haven't googled but this has to be the combined population of say Birmingham and Manchester together and I am sure half the crimes in those cities don't get any column inches. It is all about staying safe yourself, protecting your loved ones and your property and staying away as best you can from dodgy areas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.