Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Violence erupts in South Sydney - 5000 people gathered

Violence erupts in South Sydney - 5000 people gathered

Old Dec 12th 2005, 3:29 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Violence erupts in South Sydney - 5000 people gathered

Originally Posted by nicanjoe
I think the main point in this situation is that there is a problem with gangs. It doesn't matter what ethnic background the young violent male is from. In Toronto their black, that doesn't mean we don't want anyone in our country that is black!!!! We want the police and judicial system to put some fear and respect into these lost boys. I was actually born in Lebanon so I take particular offence to these riots, I'm presbyterian by religion, so...would that make me okay? Is it religion, country of birth, colour of skin or just a bunch of drunken boys trying to prove that their men by beating people up? These "lebs" should have been arrested and charged because they are violent individuals and sadly every culture and country and religion has their share of violent and ignorant people, the aussie's should also have been charged. Maybe alcohol shouldn't be allowed on the beach because it often fuels the fire.

Nicanjoe

Agreed, whatever the race/ religion ect, they're just little boys who want to prove themselves as men. Sad little gimps really.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by nicanjoe
I think the main point in this situation is that there is a problem with gangs. It doesn't matter what ethnic background the young violent male is from. In Toronto their black, that doesn't mean we don't want anyone in our country that is black!!!! We want the police and judicial system to put some fear and respect into these lost boys. I was actually born in Lebanon so I take particular offence to these riots, I'm presbyterian by religion, so...would that make me okay? Is it religion, country of birth, colour of skin or just a bunch of drunken boys trying to prove that their men by beating people up? These "lebs" should have been arrested and charged because they are violent individuals and sadly every culture and country and religion has their share of violent and ignorant people, the aussie's should also have been charged. Maybe alcohol shouldn't be allowed on the beach because it often fuels the fire.

Nicanjoe
Nicanjoe,

I don't usually like to write "me too" messages and add nothing. But you have said it all. There are liquor licencing law issues here but that isn't getting much focus in the debates. Yet. I don't see this as an issue of deep seated economic grievances, more a question of liquor fueled excess.

The youths wrapping themselves in the flag need some quiet counselling too.

Earlier posts have suggested troublemakers coming from the west on Sunday. Newspaper reports suggest it was the odd Australian born local who was set upon. Possibly by imported Anglos with very few people to pick on. The local kerbab shop owner was interviewed on the radio "I've been here six years, there has never been any problem in my shop." Does not sound like a deep seated racial issue to me.

Why is it that the problem has arisen in the part of Sydney where migrants are in the smallest minority?
Old Dec 12th 2005, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Watched all this on telly this morning and even if you only look at the pics on this site, it wasnt all young kids, look at the bald bloke in piccy in earlier post and women were in it too. This morning on Tv the guy wearing the 'ethnic cleansing t-shirt' looked more 40 than 20, same for the guy waving fists and shouting go home you F x B's etc. Plenty of 30's and middle aged in it, many filmed had beer bellies and balding hairlines a bit past teen years I think.

Last edited by jad n rich; Dec 12th 2005 at 4:06 am.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:09 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Watched all this on telly this morning and even if you only look at the pics on this site, it wasnt all young kids, look at the bald bloke in piccy in earlier post and women were in it too. This morning on Tv the guy wearing the 'ethnic cleansing t-shirt' looked more 40 than 20, same for the guy waving fists and shouting go home you F x B's etc. Plenty of middle aged in it too.

Of course it wasnt 100% kids. This is because we all know there is a percentage of males who never mentally grow up!! I have been watching Sky News coverage on and off today and in my estimation a good 80% were early 20s MAXIMUM. These complete planks who are older are no more than National Front style wannabes, who really are in the minority and deliberately play on the immature teenagers to whip them up into a fenzy knowing most of them havent got brains to think for themselves.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:16 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

This will go on for some time. Some of those attacked yesterday were saying how they would be back in force, and these gangs can assemble in minutes en masse. This has been evidenced by the trouble between Lebanese and Vietnamese for years, with some awful 'bashings' and even rapes. There will be tit-for-tat revenge for weeks, and this will spread as far north as Maroubra. The head of the Maroubra 'Bra Boys' has issued a warning to any 'Leb' gangs already to stay away or else. That should ensure that the gangs return to Maroubra. We're one beach up from Maroubra in Coogee, and I hope they don't get this far, but it is possible. The graffiti directed at each other by 'Lebs', 'Wogs' and 'Anglos', even in Bondi Junction Westfield (!), has been an evolving symbol of the rising tension. It's been a long time coming. This will change Sydney.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Banksia
Nicanjoe,

I Earlier posts have suggested troublemakers coming from the west on Sunday. Newspaper reports suggest it was the odd Australian born local who was set upon. Possibly by imported Anglos with very few people to pick on. The local kerbab shop owner was interviewed on the radio "I've been here six years, there has never been any problem in my shop." Does not sound like a deep seated racial issue to me.
"Imported anglos", is that a new phrase for UK yobs who emigrated to aus

I bet any kebab shop owner who had been set on wouldnt say much on telly tho unless he wanted a bit more flame in the shop than it takes to cook a kebab.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by jad n rich
"Imported anglos", is that a new phrase for UK yobs who emigrated to aus

I bet any kebab shop owner who had been set on wouldnt say much on telly tho unless he wanted a bit more flame in the shop than it takes to cook a kebab.
"Imported anglos" are "white" Australians who don't live in Cronulla.

The kebab owner was interviewed on ABC radio, not regularly listened to by the participants. For those who need to know 702 can be largely talkback as it was this morning providing a completley responsible coverage of the issues.

It can be done.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:37 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice
Default Re: Nice day at the beach

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I honestly put this down, as the biggest disaster in Australia since the ash wednesday fires.

This is going to change Australia.
Now that is funny
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
This will go on for some time. Some of those attacked yesterday were saying how they would be back in force, and these gangs can assemble in minutes en masse. This has been evidenced by the trouble between Lebanese and Vietnamese for years, with some awful 'bashings' and even rapes. There will be tit-for-tat revenge for weeks, and this will spread as far north as Maroubra. The head of the Maroubra 'Bra Boys' has issued a warning to any 'Leb' gangs already to stay away or else. That should ensure that the gangs return to Maroubra. We're one beach up from Maroubra in Coogee, and I hope they don't get this far, but it is possible. The graffiti directed at each other by 'Lebs', 'Wogs' and 'Anglos', even in Bondi Junction Westfield (!), has been an evolving symbol of the rising tension. It's been a long time coming. This will change Sydney.
I'd hope they dont target the obvious, within the next month theres australia day parades and of course NYE at the harbour, been to that and anything like 5000 yobs and racists arriving for a prime time televised spot would have to cause fatalities, the crowds there are scary enough because of the sheer volume without any trouble.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
There will be tit-for-tat revenge for weeks, and this will spread as far north as Maroubra. The head of the Maroubra 'Bra Boys' has issued a warning to any 'Leb' gangs already to stay away or else. That should ensure that the gangs return to Maroubra. We're one beach up from Maroubra in Coogee, and I hope they don't get this far, but it is possible.
They've already had a riot in Coogee - there was a huge one between the Bra Boys and the police inside and outside the Coogee RSL a couple of years ago. Unfortunately they were both having Christmas parties at the same venue and bumped into each other on their way out.

Maroubra Beach is usually safe from outside gangs - the reputation of the Bra Boys ensures that outside troublemakers stay away, not many are brave enough to mess with them....
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
Agreed, whatever the race/ religion ect, they're just little boys who want to prove themselves as men. Sad little gimps really.

I'd agree normally, except the people arrested thus far include a large proportion of over 21's.

I was hoping that the obvious divide that there is between Lebanese people and the rest of the community was going to disipate with time. I know a hell of a lot about this divide, as the Moreland district of Melbourne, is one of the most Lebanese municiplaity in the whole of Australia. We actually decided after several incidients, involving our older two girls not to send our children to local schools, instead sending them to the better mix of Brunswick, These incidents happened over 10 years ago, so it's not a new problem. They had to close the Moreland college here because of the Gang mentality of the place, and moved the gang Members to various schools around the area.

This actually worked, as the schools that took on these people have not had a problem with them, and Moreland collage is set to reopen next year. It's been a problem specific to only one migrant group> this post is going to get the racist labels happening and probably rightly so, I would call a person a racist that posts what I've posted, except unfortuantly for all of us it's the truth, and my family lives right in the area where this situation is an annoying underlying current.

The powers that be in this part of the world, are really dealing with this problem well in Melbourne, Coburg and Brunswick are safe to walk around at night. The other middle eastern nationalities that live in this area do not seem as prone to cause these problems. However with the kind of Polarisation that stupid gits like Alan Jones espouses, it may stop being racial and become religious based.

That is why I said this is the worst thing I've seen since the Ash Wednesday Bush fires.

I hope that these fears are not realised, and I really see this part of Melbourne, being a litmus test for this.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by nickyc
They've already had a riot in Coogee - there was a huge one between the Bra Boys and the police inside and outside the Coogee RSL a couple of years ago. Unfortunately they were both having Christmas parties at the same venue and bumped into each other on their way out.

Maroubra Beach is usually safe from outside gangs - the reputation of the Bra Boys ensures that outside troublemakers stay away, not many are brave enough to mess with them....
Even when they do the police over, the courts treat them leniently, and that I think is a major problem in itself.

One of the worst incidents, and one of the few to lead to a conviction, involved a first-grade rugby league player, Reni Maitua, who at the time was with the Canterbury Bulldogs. He was one of several men at the Bra Boys party who dragged Constable Tim Allen from a lift and attacked him. Allen told them he was a police officer. Maitua responded by laughing and kicking him in the face while he was on the ground, breaking Allen's nose. Maitua was later arrested and fined $2000. He served no time for the incident. The NSW Police Association described this decision by the magistrate, Janet Wahlquist, as a disgrace.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/paul-shee...235944844.html

Old Dec 12th 2005, 5:36 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Even when they do the police over, the courts treat them leniently, and that I think is a major problem in itself.
From what I understand of the Xmas party incident the drunken Police officers were as much to blame as the bra boys. The police just had more power to prosecute. Your point still stands though.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 5:52 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Banksia
"Imported anglos" are "white" Australians who don't live in Cronulla.

The kebab owner was interviewed on ABC radio, not regularly listened to by the participants. For those who need to know 702 can be largely talkback as it was this morning providing a completley responsible coverage of the issues.

It can be done.
Cronulla is the beach for SW Sydney and the St George area. Although Cronulla itself is predominantly anglo celtic it became the ugly focus of tensions that exist all over Sydney is varying degrees. The recent incidents gave every moron with a axe to grind somewhere to go fight. The Mrs is from that area and the same divides between the "wogs" and "anglos" existed back in the eighties and earlier.

From last nights incidents in Maroubra, Tempe and Brighton one can only assume trouble could break out at any beach over the next few weeks. I fear that Bondi may become a target due to the large alcohol fuelled crowds that go every year. In the past outsiders have come in for a "blue" and Xmas used to be a regular fight time.

At work there were a few anti lebanese comments and some supporting the actions of the 5000 strong mob!
Old Dec 12th 2005, 5:57 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

Gangs of any kind are big trouble, I guess trouble has been brewing for months and the lifeguard incident pushed it over the edge.

The media didnt help last week as well.

Australia really needs to nip this problem in the bud, maybe somewhere along the lines of deporting people after several racist crimes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.