Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Vigin Mobile broadband

Vigin Mobile broadband

Old Jun 27th 2008, 12:26 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vigin Mobile broadband

seems like a fairly good deal

http://www.virginbroadband.com.au/wi...broadband.aspx

Anyone signed up...experiences good or bad ?

Lee
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of
Default Re: Vigin Mobile broadband

http://www.whirlpool.net.au/
Old Jun 28th 2008, 1:36 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Virgin Broadband does have a poor service rep when I looked into this for my MIL. Coverage is patchy and I think there are simply better deals out there now.

For mobile broadband we have vodafone. I urge people not to bother as the network is slow and busy which restricts speeds greatly.

3 on the other hand offered good bandwidth and where my vodafone modem was getting near nothing, speeds are faster than my ADSL1 with speeds about the 150 mark.

Telstra without doubt offer the best service both speed, coverage and you pay for it with your first borns blood and a second mortgage.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

We have Virgin broadband as it was the only way we could get broadband, due to the area that we live, where it is very hit and miss as to wether you can get broadband or not.
It is a good deal at $60, which includes all local phone calls (excluding 1300 no's and mobiles) as well as your internet. However, since we have connected, the speed has gone right down and it's not much faster than dial-up. Also, whenever you want to actually contact them by phone, you have to wait at least 20 mins before someone will actually talk to you, which is a ploy in my opinion as it is a 1300 number you ring. They are quite helpful, when you do actually get to talk to them though.
Being wireless too means that you can't use a fax machine.
You can get a device called a cantenna, which gives you more signal, which has worked for a friend, so I am going to try that.
We are tied in for 2 years and hope that by the time that runs out, we can actually get bigpond or the likes.

Some of my friends couldn't actually get Virgin either and had to send the box back, so it is still hit and miss with that.

So, my advice is that if you can get other broadband, go for it.

Julie
Old Jun 28th 2008, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sunnyj
We have Virgin broadband as it was the only way we could get broadband, due to the area that we live, where it is very hit and miss as to wether you can get broadband or not.
It is a good deal at $60, which includes all local phone calls (excluding 1300 no's and mobiles) as well as your internet. However, since we have connected, the speed has gone right down and it's not much faster than dial-up. Also, whenever you want to actually contact them by phone, you have to wait at least 20 mins before someone will actually talk to you, which is a ploy in my opinion as it is a 1300 number you ring. They are quite helpful, when you do actually get to talk to them though.
Being wireless too means that you can't use a fax machine.
You can get a device called a cantenna, which gives you more signal, which has worked for a friend, so I am going to try that.
We are tied in for 2 years and hope that by the time that runs out, we can actually get bigpond or the likes.

Some of my friends couldn't actually get Virgin either and had to send the box back, so it is still hit and miss with that.

So, my advice is that if you can get other broadband, go for it.

Julie

Same here - however - touch wood - its quite quick.
It does however depend on the time of day!!
Excellent value - we also have virgin mobiles and all the calls between us are free. We pay $20 a month for the mobile and get $50 worth of calls.
Under telstra we were paying $60 a month just for the phone line.
You do get hammered though if you ring non virgin mobiles!!!!!
Old Jun 29th 2008, 6:16 am
Just Joined

Location: Originally from Glasgow, recently emigrated to Gold Coast from Northern Ireland
suzi27mcd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
seems like a fairly good deal

http://www.virginbroadband.com.au/wi...broadband.aspx

Anyone signed up...experiences good or bad ?

Lee

I signed up for the virgin broadband at end of January and have just managed to get out of the contract !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first few weeks were ok, then after we signed up for the mobiles (conveniently !!), it started getting very slow and dropping connection all the time. Countless phone calls to virgin ( waits of at least 60 - 90 mins most times) still did not rectify the problem. The customer service line is dreadful. Even at 7am when it opens I waited at least 20 mins for an operator.

Eventually they got me to update the firmware, which worked for a while. Then the actual phone calls started to drop. Family in the UK were having real hassles getting through to the phone number, taking several attempts. When they did get through the call would drop.

Unless it is the only option, do not touch it with a bargepole !!!

I only got out of the contract because we moved house and the area is not covered yet . Otherwise I would still have 1.5 years of crap broadband.

Now with Optus and love it. ASDL 2+ for $89 a month for 7GB download, with all local calls including 1300 numbers and free calls to optus mobiles. Also customer support line open 24 / 7 and they actually answer phone within a couple of minutes. !!!

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 7:24 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine used them and have a few problems setting up initially, and the customer service was pretty shocking...but...no problems since