Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Victorian Cops shoot axeman dead

Victorian Cops shoot axeman dead

Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Victorian Cops shoot axeman dead

Although Victoria is the sensible state, they do have a reputation for cops shooting people dead.

A fair few this last few years.

They've just shot dead a man with an axe- without knowing the exact circumstances I can't really comment but I will say it sounds a tad over the top unless of course he was about to chuck it at someone or rushed someone.

Apparently, they had to shoot him dead - a disabling injury would not have been justifiable - "I was only a bit scared for my life".

One technical argument I've heard is that it has been commented that VIC coppers feel outgunned with their revolvers when the crims have 13(etc) shot semis and so are more likely to use them. (semis are about to be issued).

B
Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Elsewhere in the news : Victorian Cops disarm man with chainsaw

And I thought they used revolvers? (See other post).

Poor man.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Feb 21st 2007 at 11:09 pm. Reason: typo
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Victorian Cops shoot axeman dead

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Although Victoria is the sensible state, they do have a reputation for cops shooting people dead.

A fair few this last few years.

They've just shot dead a man with an axe- without knowing the exact circumstances I can't really comment but I will say it sounds a tad over the top unless of course he was about to chuck it at someone or rushed someone.

Apparently, they had to shoot him dead - a disabling injury would not have been justifiable - "I was only a bit scared for my life".

One technical argument I've heard is that it has been commented that VIC coppers feel outgunned with their revolvers when the crims have 13(etc) shot semis and so are more likely to use them. (semis are about to be issued).

B
Yeh why couldn't they just shoot him in the legs. Have to say I have very little respect for the police forces in this country which is a very sad indictment! Mind you it is not surprising when the pass mark for the morality exam that they take when entering the force is dropped to 42%!

Last week our 45 minute brand new car was side-swiped outside our property and the culprit drove off. The cops when they came thought it was hilarious and were p...ing themselves!!
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:35 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Yeh why couldn't they just shoot him in the legs. Have to say I have very little respect for the police forces in this country which is a very sad indictment! Mind you it is not surprising when the pass mark for the morality exam that they take when entering the force is dropped to 42%!

Last week our 45 minute brand new car was side-swiped outside our property and the culprit drove off. The cops when they came thought it was hilarious and were p...ing themselves!!
The cop should have just stood there and let the axeman chop his head off, cops don't shoot at the legs because its too easy to miss and the cops end up dead. They gave him plenty of warnings to drop the axe. Alot of these cases they want to committe suicide by provoking cops to shoot them.
Don't they call it " death by cop" where someone who wants to committe suicide runs towards a cop with a knife or axe or something to get the cop to shoot them.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Feb 21st 2007 at 10:42 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

Another sad case of a mentally ill person falling through the gaping crack in the Australian healthcare system.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:53 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Becuase if you shoot a man dead he can't take you to court, shoot him in the leg and he can!

Yeh why couldn't they just shoot him in the legs.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dshole
Another sad case of a mentally ill person falling through the gaping crack in the Australian healthcare system.
Bit of sweeping generalisation!
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:08 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...733847706.html

Now - this bloke was attacking cars with an axe and when told to put the axe down refused. They sprayed him with pepper spray and he came at the police still. Despite the warning THEN he was shot.

Frankly - if someone is going to be that stupid then they deserve to be shot.

For anyone who thinks that the police should have shot him the leg instead, you try and carefully aim for a limb which you have every chance of missing whilst someone is coming at you with an axe. This is not TV.

Well done those police officers.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dshole
I must admit I thought something similar. Very sad. It must have been a frightening situation for the police to deal with.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Centurion
http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...733847706.html

Now - this bloke was attacking cars with an axe and when told to put the axe down refused. They sprayed him with pepper spray and he came at the police still. Despite the warning THEN he was shot.

Frankly - if someone is going to be that stupid then they deserve to be shot.

For anyone who thinks that the police should have shot him the leg instead, you try and carefully aim for a limb which you have every chance of missing whilst someone is coming at you with an axe. This is not TV.

Well done those police officers.
Ultimately, you can't really help but come to that conclusion. Only on paper does it seem OTT.

We were not there, we can't judge factors like how far, how fast he was closing, simple as that.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine was a Victorian Police officer for 11 years based in Frankston and Dandenong. He is proud of the fact that he never had to draw his gun in anger and talked 5 people with knives into giving them up.

He claims that too many of his colleges were far too keen to pull their weapon at any slightest thing. He also reckons that when he was in it, I think he left about 13 years ago that they were the most corrupt Police force in the Western World.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 2:15 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

I find that VERY hard to believe.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 2:19 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

If someone is coming at you with an axe or knife you shoot to kill.

If you don't want to be killed by the police, don't try and attack them. Simple really!
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09
I find that VERY hard to believe.

Why
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 2:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jond
Why
Because I could not imagine the cops coming over and pissing themselves laughing at someones car being side swiped.

What's funny about it?

It's not funny. There is nothing funny about it all. Why would the police, of all people, be laughing at such a thing?

It just makes no sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.