Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Victoria......or......South Australia.?

Victoria......or......South Australia.?

Old Mar 25th 2005, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all
Question Victoria......or......South Australia.?

Hi everyone,

I,ve spent the last few weeks reading everyones threads, hoping to learn all the do,s and don'ts of applying for different visa's.
Yesterday, I got in touch with a well known agent (i think). I processed all my details; spouse, occupation, dependents and, .....age!!
As i'm a time served bricklayer by trade, he told me i'd have no problems getting a visa, but the visa would be a STNI visa, as they're crying out for brickies in Victoria and in South Australia.
The problem is, we (as a family), were really looking forward to maybe's working/living on the east coast ; Brisbane, Gold Coast. It seems that dream's been took away, by the fact that i'm 36 years old. Is it true, you can't state where you want to live, after a certain age. Surely 36's not classed as old. ?????????

So, if it's got to be Victoria or South Australia where would you recommend. Taking into account we've got two son's aged 10 & 6..

cheers
paz.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victoria......or......South Australia.?

Do you know, this is such a difficult question to answer. to someone that is going to set up family life in Australia, It's a bit like asking, Amsterdam or Hamburg, or Rome or Barcelona. All of these places have their Pro's and Con's. I lived in Melbourne since I got to Australia, about 23 years ago, I love the place and it would take a lot to convince me to live elsewhere. I'm sure most people feel the same about their new environments around Australia as well.

The only thing I'm certain of, Is you will be going real well, if you can beat the standard of living one would easily achieve as a Bricklayer in the Melbourne area.

Points to note, If Melbourne were suddenly placed in England, I think you would find it would be the 2nd biggest city there, Its big ! Sydney is only slightly bigger than Melbourne, So there is a hell of a lot of economic activity here, and a huge shortage of skilled labour.

The only plus that I can genuinely think of, You probably would have more choice in every area that you can think of, from where and how you live, right the way through to what you purchase, than just about anywhere in Aussie.

Trouble is it's good everywhere here, in reality.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all
Smile Re: Victoria......or......South Australia.?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Do you know, this is such a difficult question to answer. to someone that is going to set up family life in Australia, It's a bit like asking, Amsterdam or Hamburg, or Rome or Barcelona. All of these places have their Pro's and Con's. I lived in Melbourne since I got to Australia, about 23 years ago, I love the place and it would take a lot to convince me to live elsewhere. I'm sure most people feel the same about their new environments around Australia as well.

The only thing I'm certain of, Is you will be going real well, if you can beat the standard of living one would easily achieve as a Bricklayer in the Melbourne area.

Points to note, If Melbourne were suddenly placed in England, I think you would find it would be the 2nd biggest city there, Its big ! Sydney is only slightly bigger than Melbourne, So there is a hell of a lot of economic activity here, and a huge shortage of skilled labour.

The only plus that I can genuinely think of, You probably would have more choice in every area that you can think of, from where and how you live, right the way through to what you purchase, than just about anywhere in Aussie.

Trouble is it's good everywhere here, in reality.

Cheers Ozzieeagle,

I really appreciate your info, I think where ever we end up, we'll be happy. It's not that we can't go anywhere else after 2 years.

Thanks again

paz.

Last edited by pazza; Mar 25th 2005 at 12:28 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:28 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

I spent a year living in Adelaide in 97 and have now had four months here in Melbourne and would happily live in either.

Both have pros and cons and I'd definitely say if you are just at the application stage try and make a holiday trip over here to decide.

As far as the two places go ozzieeagle has summed up Melbourne pretty well. It's a lot bigger than Adelaide but I've found it much friendlier, more relaxed and pleasant than Sydney (that's just a personal view for those who are in Sydney, it's a lovely city but I wouldn't be able to afford to live there).

First off climate, I'd say Adelaide is a bit warmer and sunnier, very Mediterranean, up to +40 in the summer (dry heat not humid) and gets a bit cold (by Aussie standards) and windy in the winter. In the year I was there the temperature never dropped below 4 degrees on the coldest winter nights.

Melbourne is a few degrees cooler generally and there are more days when it's a bit overcast and windy but there haven't been many days that there hasn't been some blue sky about yet.

Melbourne, being bigger probably has more shops, restaurants, pubs etc and it's still not expensive by UK standards. Adelaide has a fair bit less nightlife, it's there but you have to look for it. There are some fine restaurants in North Adelaide and down Rundle Street, probably much less in the way of ethnic foods as Melbourne has very large populations from all over the place.

There are less huge new shopping malls in the suburbs in Adelaide, Melbourne seems to have one for every suburb lol, but don't get me wrong there are plenty of shops in Adelaide.

Obviously being smaller Adelaide has less traffic congestion although most Aussies will tell you the South Australians are the worst drivers on the planet but I beg to differ (I'm saying no more on that or I'll get lynched lol). Public transport in Melbourne is a lot better, more train, bus and tram lines, but again compared to the medieval system once you get out of London it is better anywhere here.

Property prices are lower in Adelaide, I looked last year when I made my final decision where I was going and as a guide a nice 4 bed place in the outer Adelaide suburbs was going for about A$250k whereas similar place in Melbourne's outer suburbs was A$350 and where I am in SE 'burbs about 20km from the CBD you're looking at starting prices around $450-500k for the same.

As for things to do/see in the areas, Adelaide has a great beach at Glenelg, McLaren Vale vineyards to the south, the Barossa to the North and the views up in the Adelaide hills are truly stunning. There are plenty of golf courses, there is always a decent game or three of cricket at the Adleaide oval, there is the festival theatre, walking, riding, cycling along the river is great with a family and plenty of parks etc around.

Melbourne has the Yarra Valley vineyards nearby, the Dandenongs are spectacular, Philip Island is only an hour's drive, in the winter it's only an hour or two to the ski resorts (looking forward to trying them out soon). The city beaches aren't the nicest in the world but go out of Melbourne in either direction and there are some gorgeous unspoilt beaches. Of course there is the Great Ocean road heading West which is awesome.

In short I wouldn't like to say to someone one is better than the other, I suppose the quickest way of summing it up is that if you want to live in a proper city by European definition, with the hustle and bustle that goes with it then Melbourne, if you prefer somewhere smaller say Brighton size with a warmer climate (just) then Adelaide. Whichever you pick you won't go short of work both cities are growing rapidly and as a brickie you will be in demand.

I was amazed how far Melbourne had grown even in the year between visiting here for a recce and moving here. If you look on a map the true end of the Southern suburbs is now spreading out to Packenham and south to Cranbourne. THe western side of the bay is developing at a rapid rate too.

Hope this info has been helpful, if you want to know anything else or want a chat about any of what I've put then feel free to drop me PM.

Good luck with the visa application. By the way if you are dead set on the Gold Coast, have you looked at how long you need to stay in either VIctoria or South Australia before you can move? THere may be a difference and if you really want to end up in QLD then it would make sense to head for the one with the shortest qualifying period.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:37 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Forgot to add re the not being able to pick where to live after 36, it'll be the points total that has hit you there, I think it is 35 where you lose 5 points off your total, I know when I applied I only just scraped the total and if I had waited till after 35 wouldn't have had enough points to qualify for PR.

What the agent has done is put you in the Skilled, State Nominated category, if you are close on points they will do a skill matching asessment whereby those states ie SA and VIC which need people in your trade will effectively sponsor you giving you enough points to get in, obviously they then expect you to stay in that state for whatever the qualifying period is after which time you'll be free to move around wherever you want.

Have a look at http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/skilled/index.htm , http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski...l_matching.htm , and http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski...eneral.htm#sir

Hope these make it a bit clearer.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
Forgot to add re the not being able to pick where to live after 36, it'll be the points total that has hit you there, I think it is 35 where you lose 5 points off your total, I know when I applied I only just scraped the total and if I had waited till after 35 wouldn't have had enough points to qualify for PR.

What the agent has done is put you in the Skilled, State Nominated category, if you are close on points they will do a skill matching asessment whereby those states ie SA and VIC which need people in your trade will effectively sponsor you giving you enough points to get in, obviously they then expect you to stay in that state for whatever the qualifying period is after which time you'll be free to move around wherever you want.

Have a look at http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/skilled/index.htm , http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski...l_matching.htm , and http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski...eneral.htm#sir

Hope these make it a bit clearer.
Hi Flying Banana,

Thanks mate, I think you've covered everything i need to know.
Really appreciate it..

paz.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

alinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
I spent a year living in Adelaide in 97 and have now had four months here in Melbourne and would happily live in either.

Both have pros and cons and I'd definitely say if you are just at the application stage try and make a holiday trip over here to decide.

As far as the two places go ozzieeagle has summed up Melbourne pretty well. It's a lot bigger than Adelaide but I've found it much friendlier, more relaxed and pleasant than Sydney (that's just a personal view for those who are in Sydney, it's a lovely city but I wouldn't be able to afford to live there).

First off climate, I'd say Adelaide is a bit warmer and sunnier, very Mediterranean, up to +40 in the summer (dry heat not humid) and gets a bit cold (by Aussie standards) and windy in the winter. In the year I was there the temperature never dropped below 4 degrees on the coldest winter nights.

Melbourne is a few degrees cooler generally and there are more days when it's a bit overcast and windy but there haven't been many days that there hasn't been some blue sky about yet.

Melbourne, being bigger probably has more shops, restaurants, pubs etc and it's still not expensive by UK standards. Adelaide has a fair bit less nightlife, it's there but you have to look for it. There are some fine restaurants in North Adelaide and down Rundle Street, probably much less in the way of ethnic foods as Melbourne has very large populations from all over the place.

There are less huge new shopping malls in the suburbs in Adelaide, Melbourne seems to have one for every suburb lol, but don't get me wrong there are plenty of shops in Adelaide.

Obviously being smaller Adelaide has less traffic congestion although most Aussies will tell you the South Australians are the worst drivers on the planet but I beg to differ (I'm saying no more on that or I'll get lynched lol). Public transport in Melbourne is a lot better, more train, bus and tram lines, but again compared to the medieval system once you get out of London it is better anywhere here.

Property prices are lower in Adelaide, I looked last year when I made my final decision where I was going and as a guide a nice 4 bed place in the outer Adelaide suburbs was going for about A$250k whereas similar place in Melbourne's outer suburbs was A$350 and where I am in SE 'burbs about 20km from the CBD you're looking at starting prices around $450-500k for the same.

As for things to do/see in the areas, Adelaide has a great beach at Glenelg, McLaren Vale vineyards to the south, the Barossa to the North and the views up in the Adelaide hills are truly stunning. There are plenty of golf courses, there is always a decent game or three of cricket at the Adleaide oval, there is the festival theatre, walking, riding, cycling along the river is great with a family and plenty of parks etc around.

Melbourne has the Yarra Valley vineyards nearby, the Dandenongs are spectacular, Philip Island is only an hour's drive, in the winter it's only an hour or two to the ski resorts (looking forward to trying them out soon). The city beaches aren't the nicest in the world but go out of Melbourne in either direction and there are some gorgeous unspoilt beaches. Of course there is the Great Ocean road heading West which is awesome.

In short I wouldn't like to say to someone one is better than the other, I suppose the quickest way of summing it up is that if you want to live in a proper city by European definition, with the hustle and bustle that goes with it then Melbourne, if you prefer somewhere smaller say Brighton size with a warmer climate (just) then Adelaide. Whichever you pick you won't go short of work both cities are growing rapidly and as a brickie you will be in demand.

I was amazed how far Melbourne had grown even in the year between visiting here for a recce and moving here. If you look on a map the true end of the Southern suburbs is now spreading out to Packenham and south to Cranbourne. THe western side of the bay is developing at a rapid rate too.

Hope this info has been helpful, if you want to know anything else or want a chat about any of what I've put then feel free to drop me PM.

Good luck with the visa application. By the way if you are dead set on the Gold Coast, have you looked at how long you need to stay in either VIctoria or South Australia before you can move? THere may be a difference and if you really want to end up in QLD then it would make sense to head for the one with the shortest qualifying period.
Hi there What a fab answer you have confirm alot of what we thought so it is Adelaide here we come !!!!! Tracy
Old Mar 25th 2005, 8:36 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Pazza, please come to Mellie, i am desperate for a brickie and have rung everyone of them advertising in our area, only one has turned up. He quoted me a stupid price, or said i could pay him with my dog

Theres a shortage here for sure!!
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Pazza, please come to Mellie, i am desperate for a brickie and have rung everyone of them advertising in our area, only one has turned up. He quoted me a stupid price, or said i could pay him with my dog

Theres a shortage here for sure!!
It's easy for Brickies in Melbourne, to earn 100,000 per year apparently, and thats just subbing according to the local paper that is.

Best place to find them, is in a local pub on a friday arvo, or on a golf course mid week mornings

Traci, see if you can find a channel on IRC (inter relay Chat) called Adelaide, and ask Aussie born and Bred Adelonians, what they would choose, between Melbourne and Adelaide. I think the answer will suprise you.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 26th 2005 at 12:00 am.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Hi Hevs,
We're coming over in July/August, if you haven't got a brickie by then, i'll bring my trowel with me, but the 7 days i'll be there, i'll only have time to build a 3 bedroomed detatched
Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

It's easy for Brickies in Melbourne, to earn 100,000 per year apparently, and thats just subbing according to the local paper that is.

Best place to find them, is in a local pub on a friday arvo, or on a golf course mid week mornings

Traci, see if you can find a channel on IRC (inter relay Chat) called Adelaide, and ask Aussie born and Bred Adelonians, what they would choose, between Melbourne and Adelaide. I think the answer will suprise you.
Hi Ozzieeagle,
It's nice to hear that the brickies go to the pub, half day fridays, as they do here.
Not sure about the golf, not for the one of trying, just cann't get any distance on the ball (or hit it, come to that)
Is $100.000 a good wage, or is it the norm.? Is the cost of living the same as the UK. or should i say, can you live comfortable on $100.000 a year.?

cheers
paz.

Last edited by pazza; Mar 26th 2005 at 11:50 am.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

alinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to all

Hi I hope i am not going to seem abit divvy but what is IRC(inter relay chat) i am a beginner at this computer thing and learning, (as i thought i had better )as hopfully moving far away. I take it you love Melbourne and as we have to make no decisions at presnt all info welcome.We do have rellys and a friend in Melbourne but it scares me it will be too big and busy.
Thanks Tracy and Lee
Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by pazza
Hi Ozzieeagle,
It's nice to hear that the brickies go to the pub, half day fridays, as they do here.
Not sure about the golf, not for the one of trying, just cann't get any distance on the ball (or hit it, come to that)
Is $100.000 a good wage, or is it the norm.? Is the cost of living the same as the UK. or should i say, can you live comfortable on $100.000 a year.?

cheers
paz.

Thats is actually a bloody good question, and a natural one to ask, Most people would say yes it is a very good wage, as the average wage is around about 51,000 bucks per year, The average wage in England is about 22,000 quid, So it equivalent to earning about 40,000 quid over there.

1. You would be going as hard as a bricklayer ever would to earn that, that would be top end of the wage scale.

2. My wife's and I joint income is just over that, You get no child benefits at that wage, We drive very ordinary cars, in fact my second car is a Datsun 120Y, (there again cars are not that high on my priority list).

We have two young kids (the two older ones are independant now) and keeping up with all their activities, clothing them, and doing what one wants to do, is well, not that easy. You have to pick and choose what you buy. Thats with no mortgage as well. So you can be comfortable on that wage, but there are heaps of things you have to restrain youself on.

If we didn't (god forbid) have kids, we would be comfortable I'd say, ... but there again, We'd probably be pissed off cos our cars were too old or the house wasnt up to scratch.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by alinora9
Hi I hope i am not going to seem abit divvy but what is IRC(inter relay chat) i am a beginner at this computer thing and learning, (as i thought i had better )as hopfully moving far away. I take it you love Melbourne and as we have to make no decisions at presnt all info welcome.We do have rellys and a friend in Melbourne but it scares me it will be too big and busy.
Thanks Tracy and Lee

It's the 3rd part of the internet, One being Email, another being Browsing The last being Chat. Although Inter Relay Chat is pretty well unrestricted and one has far more channels and options than say MSN chat, or Yahoo chat, It has 100,000's of users and you will come across all sorts of people there, You can always close them down if they get annoying.

Here is the URL for one of the Main IRC programs

www.mirc.com

Make sure your virus scanner and firewall are up to scratch though, It is definitely the most common part of the net to get hacked from.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Thats is actually a bloody good question, and a natural one to ask, Most people would say yes it is a very good wage, as the average wage is around about 51,000 bucks per year, The average wage in England is about 22,000 quid, So it equivalent to earning about 40,000 quid over there.

1. You would be going as hard as a bricklayer ever would to earn that, that would be top end of the wage scale.

2. My wife's and I joint income is just over that, You get no child benefits at that wage, We drive very ordinary cars, in fact my second car is a Datsun 120Y, (there again cars are not that high on my priority list).

We have two young kids (the two older ones are independant now) and keeping up with all their activities, clothing them, and doing what one wants to do, is well, not that easy. You have to pick and choose what you buy. Thats with no mortgage as well. So you can be comfortable on that wage, but there are heaps of things you have to restrain youself on.

If we didn't (god forbid) have kids, we would be comfortable I'd say, ... but there again, We'd probably be pissed off cos our cars were too old or the house wasnt up to scratch.
It's the norm, it doesn't matter how much you earn, you could always do with a little bit more for those extra luxuries.
I can't believe that Datsun 120Y's would still be around to pass the MOT's there mustn't be salty air rotting them away over there, like here.

cheers
paz.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.