Old Mar 6th 2003, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Inked is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Victoria

Originally posted by wombat
What is Victoria like? any info would be really appreciated
Thanks wombat

Hard to answer this,
What sort of things are you looking for?
Victoria is as big as the UK, it has hills, and flat bits, it gets enough snow to go skiing in winter, but it also has pockets of tropical forest! It has a fantastic coastline from Lakes entrance in the East to west of the Apostles, great inland lakes like lake Eildon and a climate (in general) that is not too dry and not too cold. It has a great cultural centre – Melbourne. Miles upon miles of Vineyards and great natural reserves like Wilson’s Promontory.

What don’t I like about Victoria, hmmm I don’t like the blandness of the suburbs so I avoid them.

I know PB if he reads this will probably rant and throw statistics at you, but personally I think Victoria is a great state to live in – you not though of visiting Australia before you make your decision?

Maybe if you state what sorts of things you are looking for, folk may be a bit more forthcoming on what Victoria can offer.

Joe

Last edited by Inked; Mar 6th 2003 at 2:06 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2003, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

CBLORAC is an unknown quantity at this point

we enjoyed victoria whilst there, met quite a few people, both english and australian. we did quite a few things whilst there. we went to phillip island, wornambal, ballarate, went on puffing billy train, that was great. gumbia park, enjoyed it but not the flies. Victoria is where we are wanting to live when we go.
Old Mar 6th 2003, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

wombat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Inked
Hard to answer this,
Victoria is as big as the UK, it has hills, and flat bits, it gets enough snow to go skiing in winter, but it also has pockets of tropical forest! It has a fantastic coastline from Lakes entrance in the East to west of the Apostles, great inland lakes like lake Eildon and a climate (in general) that is not too dry and not too cold. It has a great cultural centre – Melbourne. Miles upon miles of Vineyards and great natural reserves like Wilson’s Promontory.

What don’t I like about Victoria, hmmm I don’t like the blandness of the suburbs so I avoid them.

I know PB if he reads this will probably rant and throw statistics at you, but personally I think Victoria is a great state to live in – you not though of visiting Australia before you make your decision?

Maybe if you state what sorts of things you are looking for, folk may be a bit more forthcoming on what Victoria can offer.

Joe
Hello, thanks for the reply, unfortunatly we cant afford to visit australia before we make a decision, so i am just trying to research as much as i can. We are looking for somewhere nice to live thats a bit more interesting than where we are now!
Old Mar 6th 2003, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

What's so uninteresting about the east midlands, where abouts are you?
Mash..

Hello, thanks for the reply, unfortunatly we cant afford to visit australia before we make a decision, so i am just trying to research as much as i can. We are looking for somewhere nice to live thats a bit more interesting than where we are now!
Old Mar 6th 2003, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Inked
Hard to answer this,

Joe
Sounds great Joe

At last we've found a nice positive post from someone living in Oz, seems like us wannabe migrants aren't so daft after all! We've had nothing but rain rain and more rain in the UK for the last few months......
Old Mar 7th 2003, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by mashiraz
What's so uninteresting about the east midlands, where abouts are you?
Mash..
Hello mash,
We live near Loughborough, where in the east midlands are you?
Old Mar 7th 2003, 12:42 pm
I liek beer

DevMountain is an unknown quantity at this point

We are hoping to move to Melbourne, September time! We have 3 young kids so schooling is an issue. We also want to be close to cinemas etc but not actually in a city environment, we are rural lovers. Is it possible to find a place close to the sea that is commuter distance, which is clean, safe with good schooling....

Any decent books on it because you can end up getting swamped on the Internet and only finding out about tourist info....

We have thought of Dandenong, any other ideas?

I would love to contact anybody that is out there now who could maybe lead us in the right direction.

Please could somebody advise as to kids school ages and what classes they would be in. I keep reading conflicting stories My kids DOB are:- 24th Sept 1996, 1st Jan 1998 and 17th March 2000. (will my youngest start school next year or the one after)
Old Mar 7th 2003, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by DevMountain
We are hoping to move to Melbourne, September time! We have 3 young kids so schooling is an issue. We also want to be close to cinemas etc but not actually in a city environment, we are rural lovers. Is it possible to find a place close to the sea that is commuter distance, which is clean, safe with good schooling....

Any decent books on it because you can end up getting swamped on the Internet and only finding out about tourist info....

We have thought of Dandenong, any other ideas?

I would love to contact anybody that is out there now who could maybe lead us in the right direction.

Please could somebody advise as to kids school ages and what classes they would be in. I keep reading conflicting stories My kids DOB are:- 24th Sept 1996, 1st Jan 1998 and 17th March 2000. (will my youngest start school next year or the one after)
Hello, we are looking for just the same things as you, we have 2 kids aged 7 and 3 so schooling is an issue with us,the victoria gov website gives some info about schools, have you ever visited Victoria before ?
Old Mar 7th 2003, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

petafray will become famous soon enough

Hi Wombat

We are currently living in Loughborough, having sold our house in oneof the Charnwood villages. We are off to Brisbane next week. Looks like it si an exodus from the East Mids!!
Pete
Old Mar 7th 2003, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by petafray
Hi Wombat

We are currently living in Loughborough, having sold our house in oneof the Charnwood villages. We are off to Brisbane next week. Looks like it si an exodus from the East Mids!!
Pete
Hello pete,
you cant really blame any one for wanting leave in the east midlands theres not much going on is there!
you can trace my family tree back 300 years and they lived in the village i live in now, i think its time to break the cycle !!!
all the best when you get to brisbane wombat
Old Mar 7th 2003, 4:12 pm
I liek beer

DevMountain is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, we are looking for just the same things as you, we have 2 kids aged 7 and 3 so schooling is an issue with us,the victoria gov website gives some info about schools, have you ever visited Victoria before ?
We haven't Visited Vic before but the idea of beach in summer and skiing in winter is very appealing. I found that the Vic gov website was not very informative regs schools and how good (or not they are). My mum is hopefully putting us in touch with her friend in the Dandengongs. My Mum thinks we will like it here and she obviously knows me well. The only down side about this region is the bush fires. I am not sure what the risk is.

Have you any idea as to which area you are looking in, east or west Melb?

I would be interested hearing from people already out there?
Old Mar 7th 2003, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Jeannie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We haven't Visited Vic before but the idea of beach in summer and skiing in winter is very appealing. I found that the Vic gov website was not very informative regs schools and how good (or not they are). My mum is hopefully putting us in touch with her friend in the Dandengongs. My Mum thinks we will like it here and she obviously knows me well. The only down side about this region is the bush fires. I am not sure what the risk is.

Hi there,
We are off the Melbourne in about a month and have been doing alot of looking on the net at various places. We too, don't want to be too far out from the CBD, but don't want total sububia either.
We have been looking at Berwick, Narre Warren, Rowville, Endeavour Hills, and lots of other places between 20-40kms out from the city.
I got a copy of a Melbourne street directory from a friend and that helps.
We have two boys, 9 and 12, so schools have to be our first priority. Used a site www.education.vic.gov.au/schoolsonline - which was OK but didn't give too much info. It did give us contact addresses for schools in the areas we were looking and when we got in touch with the schools direct, they are were very helpful. What we have decided though is that you can only make the final decision when you get there and see what each school has to offer.
Jeannie
Old Mar 7th 2003, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

at the moment we have no idea which area we are looking in that is why i started this thread, hoping to get some info about the different areas!we also like the idea beach in the summer, snow in the winter, but the thought of bush fires is really scary :scared: where abouts is dandengongs?

Last edited by wombat; Mar 7th 2003 at 4:49 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2003, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

I have just found a good website www.visitmelbourne.com its got lots of information about the different regions,it has weather info maybe that will tell you bushfire risk, i hope this helps!
wombat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.