Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

VIC Driving Licence

VIC Driving Licence

Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

MeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant future
Default VIC Driving Licence

I am relly confused with the requirements and would appreciate if anyone could share their experience...

I am EU citizen, but not on the approved list to exchange the driving licence...

I am on partners visa, so temporary for next 2 years. I know I can drive on my licence for the first 3 months, but I would like to get full VIC licence asap as I believe many employers require full VIC driving licence, plus its a good ID, rather than carrying my ppt all the time...

My question is can I just apply and do a test and once passed get full licence?

Cheers
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:09 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VIC Driving Licence

Hi Dubaiboy,

I'm not sure of the answer to your question......where is EU license from (or is it from UAE)...I seem to remember an Austrian connection and Austria is on the exempt list? If you're not exempt then you should find everything you need to know half way down this page:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...rsLicences.htm

Expect a long wait....I'm still holding a Qld license but just to get an appointment for a simple license changeover there is a 1 month wait - I keep having to cancel mine because work sends me away to Darwin & Alice Springs!

I see from the other thread you're arriving on the 9th - great! Your app must have gone through pretty quickly - congrats!

B
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

MeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant future

Hi BCworld,

Thanks, yeah it took only about 10 weeks (long wait if you ask me...)

Unfortunately I can only arrive when my partner is in Oz so will be arriving only on 23rd now, but thats cool.

I hold Slovak licence, so not on the list (

Perhaps will be neighbours soon will be looking for a place around St Kilda
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:24 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Cool - I'm sure you'll love it!

I'm right on the edge of St Kilda so walking distance to Acland St & the beach and even closer to Chapel St and all the good stuff there - it's a great location.

It might still be a bit nippy in September after Dubai! Sure it'll warm up soon though.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 5:50 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dubaiboy
I am on partners visa, so temporary for next 2 years. I know I can drive on my licence for the first 3 months, but I would like to get full VIC licence asap as I believe many employers require full VIC driving licence, plus its a good ID, rather than carrying my ppt all the time...
Cheers
Depending on what job you are doing, employers don't require you to have a full driving license. They just care that you get to work on time, not how you get there.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought on temp visas your foreign licence (with official translation where required) covered you for the whole period of the visa.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

twizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bcworld
Expect a long wait....I'm still holding a Qld license but just to get an appointment for a simple license changeover there is a 1 month wait - I keep having to cancel mine because work sends me away to Darwin & Alice Springs!
maybe try a different VicRoads office. I phoned & got given an appt. the very next day, and when I got there, they looked at me like I was slightly mad for having made an appt
Old Sep 5th 2009, 6:47 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by twizzle
maybe try a different VicRoads office. I phoned & got given an appt. the very next day, and when I got there, they looked at me like I was slightly mad for having made an appt
Which one do you suggest? They seem to be few and far between close to the city - Carlton is really my only option. Their website says you must make an appointment - takes about 90 minutes to get over there on the tram, do the doings, and get back from my office so I wouldn't fancy a wasted trip!
Old Sep 5th 2009, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

twizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bcworld
Which one do you suggest? They seem to be few and far between close to the city - Carlton is really my only option. Their website says you must make an appointment - takes about 90 minutes to get over there on the tram, do the doings, and get back from my office so I wouldn't fancy a wasted trip!
hmm, might not work for you then given your time restrictions. I think I went to Camberwell if memory serves.
I know, it does say you need to make an appt., and when I phoned they insisted I must have an appt. but like I said, when I got there they didn't even take my ref # for the appt. & seemed amused about it. All you do when you get there is fill in the form, hand it in with UK licence, they take a photo & payment from you & 5mins later you're outta there....