Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Very very Bad IT job Market In Australia :(

Wikiposts

Very very Bad IT job Market In Australia :(

Old May 2nd 2006, 8:46 pm
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Very very Bad IT job Market In Australia :(

Originally Posted by Budgie
My experience is that it depends what skills you have. I'm a Project Manager (12 years) and found it VERY difficult to find work over here (Sydney). I registered with 140 agencies and spent 4 months looking for work. The agencies were all totally useless - they never called back and just were'nt interested. Finally I found work at a company who advertised for positions directly, and so I bypassed the agencies completely.
With you...
Agencies sucks....
Old May 2nd 2006, 8:48 pm
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by galloping gaijin
That was the advice given to me, go to the companies direct - by and large most recruitment companies are useless...I've gone to companies direct myself and now after a couple of months of nothing, the interviews are coming along like "london buses".
How did you do that?
Can you suggest....
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Dianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HaiJoshua
Hi,

I migrated to australia beliving there are skill shortages. But after coming here I am finding it very difficult to get a good job. I left my good paying permanent job & am now jobless, depressed looking for work. I have sent resumes to consultants on seek, mycareer, careerone etc but no one is even responding. I called them but they are telling that we have many applicants. Also I found out that the same job is advertised by all consultants.

To meet my expenses I tried finding a computer operator job but did not get then i reduced finding a retail shop assistant/any job but am not getting that too.

Any IT people in the same boat as mine & any tips on finding a job. Its 4 weeks that I have arrived & am with no job & my cash supply is exhausting fast.

Joshua
Joshua

I've had 18 years exp in IT have an honours degree and am Prince 2 acredited and was also told there was a shortage here, I've been applying for anything and everything from Helpdesk support to Business Analysts (and some non IT jobs) for the last 2 months and haven't had an interview yet. Make sure your resume is to Aussie standard, there are a few sites which give advce but other than that just keep at it. I was beginning to think it was just me which it pretty depressing. I've actually widened my search to the whole of Victoria (ex Melbourne as we on an SIR). We've been told to expect it will take on average 6 months to find work. Just keeping trying.

Last edited by Dianne; May 3rd 2006 at 1:27 pm.
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

We arrived in Oct 2005 and both OH and I found jobs in Sydney quickly. Both of us are in IT - I am a Snr Tech Business Analyst, OH Solutions Architect. Agencies were the same as they are in the UK - don't believe a word they say!!! But they did call us back and set up interviews etc. My view is the IT market in central Sydney is good especially if you have some banking experience coupled with your IT - custody, settlements etc.
Old May 4th 2006, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

daisydaydream is just really nicedaisydaydream is just really nicedaisydaydream is just really nicedaisydaydream is just really nicedaisydaydream is just really nicedaisydaydream is just really nicedaisydaydream is just really nicedaisydaydream is just really nicedaisydaydream is just really nicedaisydaydream is just really nice

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
10 years in Broadband wireless? Really?
Ok point taken Telecoms protocols in general
Old May 17th 2006, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

tree is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fajita
Don't think so as long as you only work for one employer for a max of 3 months. That's only on the old 12 month WHV though; the new 2 year one is , as you say, only for unskilled work.
There are changes from Visas taken out from 1st July.
You can now work with one company for 6 months (much better than the 3!). And I think you can work in anything... if you want to stay for 2 years, you just have to work in rural australia doing harvest type work for 3 months in the first year...

I'm in IT and heading over to australia end of this year (melbourne) (just a bog standard .NET developer). Sounds as though it can be horrid finding work!
Will wait and see what happens...
Old May 17th 2006, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Sorry that WHV visas of course!!
Old May 17th 2006, 3:31 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tree
You can now work with one company for 6 months (much better than the 3!). And I think you can work in anything... if you want to stay for 2 years, you just have to work in rural australia doing harvest type work for 3 months in the first year...

I'm in IT and heading over to australia end of this year (melbourne) (just a bog standard .NET developer). Sounds as though it can be horrid finding work!
At least you have got .NET. I have been using crappy Borland C++ for the last 4 years. God help me!!
Old May 17th 2006, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tree

Yes you can work in any job on a WHV - I've just finished mine so can verify that!
Actually the new rules (six months with one employer instead of three) could have implications for the job market as a whole. Wheres WHV holders would often have been overlooked for jobs before because of the three-month limit, employers may now be more inclined to give them a chance as six months allows for a decent contract.
Old May 17th 2006, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Yes you can work in any job on a WHV - I've just finished mine so can verify that!
Actually the new rules (six months with one employer instead of three) could have implications for the job market as a whole. Wheres WHV holders would often have been overlooked for jobs before because of the three-month limit, employers may now be more inclined to give them a chance as six months allows for a decent contract.

DianneH68 - how easy did you find it to find IT work on a WHV then? Was it ok finding short term work?

Does anyone know what the .NET jobmarket is like over there?

Cheers
Old May 17th 2006, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I am in IT. I'm Prince 2 qualified and have Java and SQL Server programming qualifications and experience.

We are applying under my husband though as he is a sheet metal worker and on the MODL list.

I'm getting slightly worried after reading this thread and hope I won't have too much trouble finding work once we get there.
Old May 17th 2006, 9:48 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeresaG
I am in IT. I'm Prince 2 qualified and have Java and SQL Server programming qualifications and experience.

We are applying under my husband though as he is a sheet metal worker and on the MODL list.

I'm getting slightly worried after reading this thread and hope I won't have too much trouble finding work once we get there.
Can you cook burgers?
Old May 17th 2006, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Can you cook burgers?

Yep.
Old May 17th 2006, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

it took me two days to land my first contract here in Perth, I sent my cv out to 5 agencies and they were desperate to put me forward for quite a number of roles. After the initial flurry of interest I landed a contract immediately but found that some of the agencies didn't bother following up or getting back to me, some actually called me a month later about the role they had put me forward for expecting me to still be looking.

I've just come to the end of a contract and hadn't been looking because I expected a renewal that didn't come, it's taken me 3 weeks to land a perm role - it's under $100k but I am pretty sure that it will move a bit closer in the next year or so. Some of the agencies here are pretty crap, one told me that they had put my cv forward for a contract and 3 weeks later another agency contacted me about the same role. I asked the agent to check to see if my CV had been sent in by the first agency and the hiring manager hadn't even heard of me, so it is definitely worth chasing them up and only using agencies that have proved themselves. One of the guys on here works for one of the agencies in Perth, I've met him and he's a good chap, so the agents aren't all a dead loss.

The IT market in Perth is very cyclical, one month there will be more jobs than you can shake a stick at and then it will go deathly quiet for 6 weeks. I have been fortunate to find a job as a BA doing exactly what I want to be doing, the money isn't wonderful but it will cover the bills for a while and settle down my CV a bit.
Old May 18th 2006, 3:01 pm
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

I'm about to dip my toe in the water as my current contract may end at the end of June (or maybe not, who knows?!). I'm a non-technical IT guy. As with my initial job hunt, which lasted two and a half months, I'm placing very little reliance on what the agencies can come up with. (I landed my first job through joining a professional association and talking to 'real people'). The majority of agents were a waste of space first time around. I've done as much networking as I can, and think that this is more likely to yield dividends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.