Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Very very Bad IT job Market In Australia :(

Wikiposts

Very very Bad IT job Market In Australia :(

Old May 1st 2006, 1:51 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very very Bad IT job Market In Australia :(

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I'm sure Tony Po meant 2 years in broadband, plus 5 years in Win2000 and 3 years in XP.

Could you not do the maths?! 2+5+3 = 10!

Mrs JTL
No he's in IT!
Old May 1st 2006, 2:10 pm
bru
Forum Regular

bru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kbryant
Is it just the IT industry or are people having similar problems in other fields too ?
I wonder whether the situation is same for Accountants!
Old May 1st 2006, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
Hmmmmm, my thoughts exactly....

You said you were now on £10k (roughly $24k). In the UK as an IT Manager earning £20k you were earning massively below the national average. Except for charities and local gov't you should be earning £60k-70k or more. If you were the IT manager, then those working for you must have been on £7k-£8k which is probably minimum wage! At £20k per annum you were earning 2/3 of the UK national average salary. Now you're in Aus you're being paid $24k which is less than half the national average salary which isn't significant.

This was in 1999, 18 months after I left UNI. At the time in the UK the wage was high for a grad position in an IT consulting company.

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
The national average salary for IT Managers in Aus is around $100k.

Either your employer is taking you for a ride or you've made a typo with your figures.

Scott
Now I earn significantly more than AU$100k. The figures are correct

I still look back on that Job in Switzerland and think "What if"

I have a belief in life that as long as your happy thats all that counts. I find money make things easier, but brings other problems. Therefore As long as I have a roof over my head, food in my belly and a job I enjoy. Doesn't matter how much they are paying me

KS
Old May 1st 2006, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bru
I wonder whether the situation is same for Accountants!
Don't think so, there seems to be a lot of accounting work - I know 4 ... and they are all gainfully employed and have been since arriving
Old May 1st 2006, 5:19 pm
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HaiJoshua
Hi,

I migrated to australia beliving there are skill shortages. But after coming here I am finding it very difficult to get a good job. I left my good paying permanent job & am now jobless, depressed looking for work. I have sent resumes to consultants on seek, mycareer, careerone etc but no one is even responding. I called them but they are telling that we have many applicants. Also I found out that the same job is advertised by all consultants.

To meet my expenses I tried finding a computer operator job but did not get then i reduced finding a retail shop assistant/any job but am not getting that too.

Any IT people in the same boat as mine & any tips on finding a job. Its 4 weeks that I have arrived & am with no job & my cash supply is exhausting fast.

Joshua
My experience is that it depends what skills you have. I'm a Project Manager (12 years) and found it VERY difficult to find work over here (Sydney). I registered with 140 agencies and spent 4 months looking for work. The agencies were all totally useless - they never called back and just were'nt interested. Finally I found work at a company who advertised for positions directly, and so I bypassed the agencies completely.
Old May 1st 2006, 8:38 pm
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AJ74
Are you sure about those restrictions on Victorian IT STNI? I can't find any IT restrictions on www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au where STNI sponsorship applications can be lodged.
The Skills In Demand section shows occupations that apply for STNI in Victoria. AFAIK, without a skills set that matches one of those jobs, you won't get Victorian state sponsorship.

I was wrong about the MODL list for the additional points for a standard skills visa, though. There are a few IT areas on that list (see previous post).
Old May 1st 2006, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice
Angry Re: Very very Bad IT job Market In Australia :(

Originally Posted by Budgie
My experience is that it depends what skills you have. I'm a Project Manager (12 years) and found it VERY difficult to find work over here (Sydney). I registered with 140 agencies and spent 4 months looking for work. The agencies were all totally useless - they never called back and just were'nt interested. Finally I found work at a company who advertised for positions directly, and so I bypassed the agencies completely.
That was the advice given to me, go to the companies direct - by and large most recruitment companies are useless...I've gone to companies direct myself and now after a couple of months of nothing, the interviews are coming along like "london buses".

Also the process here is so dragged out. Some companies will take over a month culling, organising interviews etc. They're definitely a laid back lot in this respect.

But one final gripe ---- I received the PFO letter by email, 1 month after I applied for a job (direct to the company) and on the CC email list, there is the email of every other unsuccessful applicant - Rank F'in Amateurs

Not overly excited about having my personal email banded about to complete strangers - esp ones who have addy's like westsidemassive@*******
Old May 1st 2006, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
No he's in IT!
Oy! I'm in IT too... But hold on, I can't do multiplication either... In fact I can't read numbers. For some reason "2" looks like "4" in the northern atmosphere...

Mrs JTL
Old May 1st 2006, 11:56 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Oy! I'm in IT too... But hold on, I can't do multiplication either... In fact I can't read numbers. For some reason "2" looks like "4" in the northern atmosphere...

Mrs JTL
Hemisphere?
Old May 2nd 2006, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

fajita is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by micged
Was the salary reasonable? That is the other big concern for us. We know we will earn less however there are degrees to how much less we are prepared to accept. Ideally my husband wants to get out of consulting but realistically realises that, like your friend, he will probably have to continue with it for the first couple of years when he first gets there.
michelle
Can only suggest the OP get someone to review their cv; I do CV screening in the UK and routinely throw out a large percentage because their cvs are vague and hard to decipher. I registered my cv with seek.com.au and had 4 agencies approach me to submit applications for positions, a friend is out there at the moment on a working holiday visa and has had no problems finding contract .net development work in Sydney.
Actually seek is a good gauge as you can see how many 'hits' your cv has had, to those considering going out, I'd recommend putting your cv on their first to see how much interest there is in your skills. Good luck to the Op , hope you get something soon.
Old May 2nd 2006, 12:37 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fajita
a friend is out there at the moment on a working holiday visa and has had no problems finding contract .net development work in Sydney.
Oooh...Naughty.....
Old May 2nd 2006, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Hemisphere?
yeah yeah yeah, I was thinking hemisphere but typed atmosphere... what's wrong with me today? Can't count, can't multiply, can't write... I think I should join Coffee Bean in bed now... Night night.

Mrs JTL
Old May 2nd 2006, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

Oooh...Naughty.....
Three month contracts with each (different) employer - where's the naughtiness??
Old May 2nd 2006, 3:58 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by fajita
Three month contracts with each (different) employer - where's the naughtiness??
I always thought that it was only unskilled work that people on a WHV were allowed to do?
Old May 2nd 2006, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

I always thought that it was only unskilled work that people on a WHV were allowed to do?
Don't think so as long as you only work for one employer for a max of 3 months. That's only on the old 12 month WHV though; the new 2 year one is , as you say, only for unskilled work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.