Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A very sad Stoke City Supporter

A very sad Stoke City Supporter

Old Jul 16th 2003, 11:33 am
Clayhead

wayne bond is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy A very sad Stoke City Supporter

We are leaving for Perth this October and after seeing the new football fixture list ( I use the term football very loosly in this case as I support Stoke) am already becoming depressed at leaving and not paying out for my over expensive season ticket. which gives me little or no satisfaction ( every season)

Why on earth would I want to leave behind the natural delightful surrondings of the potteries ( a bit over the top there more grim and depressed) I dont know.

Can anyone tell me what the uk football coverage is like over there I believe its ok for premier league but what about us poor soles down in the lower ranks of the football league.?

There arnt too many Stoke supporters currently over here so I guess its a unlikely that there are any in Perth ?

Wayne
Old Jul 16th 2003, 11:42 am
A soft and furry member

Bluey is an unknown quantity at this point

You think you've got problems, I'm the Huddersfield Town fan. With any luck I'll be able to avoid any further humilliation once in Adelaide.

From what I've heard, the overpaid primadonnas (Ouch, he breathed on me) of the premiership do get quite a lot of coverage, as for real football in the lower divisions (two broken legs, just a scratch), I dont think it's very well represented at all.

It could be worse though, they could show every Terriers match....AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old Jul 16th 2003, 1:05 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

Try this you poor soul. All english satellite coverage, your team must be on somewhen
http://www.knplogic.co.uk/sport/british.html

David T Better ded than red
Old Jul 16th 2003, 1:25 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Alright Bluey

Have always had a soft spot for the Terriers since I did 3 years at Uni their.

Think I will struggle to watch Forest to. : (

TT

Originally posted by Bluey
You think you've got problems, I'm the Huddersfield Town fan. With any luck I'll be able to avoid any further humilliation once in Adelaide.

From what I've heard, the overpaid primadonnas (Ouch, he breathed on me) of the premiership do get quite a lot of coverage, as for real football in the lower divisions (two broken legs, just a scratch), I dont think it's very well represented at all.

It could be worse though, they could show every Terriers match....AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old Jul 24th 2003, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Ian&Jackie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dont be sad wayne, I support Port Vale

Hi Wayne

We are off to Perth this Sunday... aaahhh roll on. (Getting fed up with all the goodbyes)

I am from Stoke but support Port Vale.. (well somebody has to!!)

regards

Jackie
Old Jul 25th 2003, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Duggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Mr Bond,

There will be hopefully another Stoke fan in the Southern Hemisphere as soon and my Visa gets sorted out for going to NZ. Not being able to watch Stoke play will be one of the (very) few things I am going to miss about the UK.

Knowing my luck I'll emigrate and Stoke will become a force in English football...
Old Jul 25th 2003, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road

During the season there is a English Premiership roundup on the SBS channel on Mondays. Sometimes they show full games (often Argentine, Spanish etc). There is the odd bit of news in the National media but its usually of the "Beckham/Man U blah blah blah" variety. Suspect that you'll have to get your Stoke fix via the internet.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Duggy,

I thought the same about my Rugby League team (Wakefield Trinity Wildcats). As soon as I left they strengthened the side and pulled off some dramatic wins. I cursed my luck but normal service was quickly resumed. Mates back home tell me that Perth is not far enough away from the current performances..
Old Aug 5th 2003, 8:08 am
Clayhead

wayne bond is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Dont be sad wayne, I support Port Vale

Originally posted by Ian&Jackie
Hi Wayne

We are off to Perth this Sunday... aaahhh roll on. (Getting fed up with all the goodbyes)

I am from Stoke but support Port Vale.. (well somebody has to!!)

regards

Jackie

Does that mean that Vale are now down to single figure support now you are leaving. I would like to wish you all the best but its so hard as you are black and white (just joking) I hope it all goes well for you and you settle in.

We are just going through the painful process of goodbyes and packing up and just cant wait to get going now especially after all the stunning pre-season results we are getting the sooner this pain ends the better.

Goodluck in Perth (maybe see you there soon)
Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gareth W
During the season there is a English Premiership roundup on the SBS channel on Mondays. Sometimes they show full games (often Argentine, Spanish etc). There is the odd bit of news in the National media but its usually of the "Beckham/Man U blah blah blah" variety. Suspect that you'll have to get your Stoke fix via the internet.
Gareth,

Has Aussie TV devoted any more attention to Leeds in the past because of Kewell and Viduka?

Just wondering because I'm a Liverpool fan and hoped I might benefit coverage-wise by having Kewell play for us now.

Cheers
Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Yes. Last season SBS always seemed to give the Leeds results particular prominence because of Kewell & Viduka. If they score, it gets shown. Bit more about Leeds in the sports pages too.

The Kewell transfer saga was also covered pretty extensively over here, so you'll still hear plenty about him I guess.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 11:32 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

SBS show a live game every Saturday night (12am EST). Foxtel show more games than are on live in the UK, sadly all Premier (though since Wolves got promoted, I get to see us on TV for a year anyway). Usually, we get 2-3 games on a Saturday, both Sunday games, Monday game (if there is one), and any midweek games at 5am.

Both SBS and Foxtel are carrying the FA Community Shield this weekend (10:50pm on Sunday night).

As for Nationwide games, Foxtel do a football wrap programme on Saturday arvo that usually features the top teams from the 1st division, and Sky News Australia shows UK Sky News sports news, so you get to see some stuff there.

I spent most of last year listening to the Wolves games via Internet radio (when I wasn't out drinking Brisbane dry).
Old Aug 6th 2003, 11:33 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

Oh yeah, ESPN show Scottish Football for some reason
Old Sep 17th 2004, 3:56 am
Just Joined

football mad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A very sad Stoke City Supporter

David
by accident I found this old posting. Are you saying that you are able to get satellite coverage of english football other than foxtel in Australia??
cheers
Originally Posted by DavidT
Try this you poor soul. All english satellite coverage, your team must be on somewhen
http://www.knplogic.co.uk/sport/british.html

David T Better ded than red