Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Very odd interview test questions at Melbourne agency!

Very odd interview test questions at Melbourne agency!

Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:47 am
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough
Default Very odd interview test questions at Melbourne agency!

Hi there!

Still having fun after one month in Melbourne on a De Facto visa and I am currently looking for a job. My biggest breakthrough so far, a Melbourne CBD large recruitment agency call me in for testing and interview after I applied for one of there jobs online. The interviewer was nice and friendly, but the testing was very very odd. The testing lasted 4 hours and consisted of computer and written tests. The odd part was over 450 questions, often repeatative such as:

Do you ever blush?
As a youngster did you ever fake illness to get time off school?
Do you ever have trouble sleeping?
Do you have frequent lucid dreams?
Do you have daydreams which seem to be so real you could actually be there?
Do you feel that your emotions are more powerful and more deeply felt than others around you?
Have you ever fainted?
Do you ever get the feeling that strangers are watching you in public places?
Have you ever sleepwalked?
Have you ever had a nightmare which caused you to disturb others sleeping?
Have you have ever been interested in strange customs or practices?

This type of questioning went on and on for four hours, and when I had finished the computer questioning of this type, they led me into another room where they got me to do a paper and pencil test asking the exactly same type of questions reworded.

Back in the UK, some of these questions I think would be very un "polictically correct" and even banned. What relevance could the fact that I sometimes have trouble sleeping and occasionally blush have on my ability to do a job? Just proves I am human I guess!

Anyway, fingers crossed on that one, my Aussie friends said they just need to use up some time to justify their huge fees if a employer offers me a job through their introduction!

Melbourne is more and more appealing everyday - I am really happy to have made the move- just a job now will complete my new life!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:56 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

What was your answer to the last one, then?
Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Very odd interview test questions at Melbourne agency!

Originally posted by joninoxford
Hi there!

Still having fun after one month in Melbourne on a De Facto visa and I am currently looking for a job. My biggest breakthrough so far, a Melbourne CBD large recruitment agency call me in for testing and interview after I applied for one of there jobs online. The interviewer was nice and friendly, but the testing was very very odd. The testing lasted 4 hours and consisted of computer and written tests. The odd part was over 450 questions, often repeatative such as:

Do you ever blush?
Do you feel that your emotions are more powerful and more deeply felt than others around you?
Have you ever fainted?

This type of questioning went on and on for four hours, and when I had finished the computer questioning of this type, they led me into another room where they got me to do a paper and pencil test asking the exactly same type of questions reworded.

Back in the UK, some of these questions I think would be very un "polictically correct" and even banned. What relevance could the fact that I sometimes have trouble sleeping and occasionally blush have on my ability to do a job? Just proves I am human I guess!

Anyway, fingers crossed on that one, my Aussie friends said they just need to use up some time to justify their huge fees if a employer offers me a job through their introduction!

Melbourne is more and more appealing everyday - I am really happy to have made the move- just a job now will complete my new life!
It sounds more like a police interview especially when they took you to another room

They do go through all sorts of bizzare bullshi* here, I think because they do have a lot more choice of applicants. Our teen had to take a phsycological profile to work on a check out!! while still at school.

My husbands sister, 48 never left QLD:scared: went for a job in a real estate agency, they asked her to do one of these profile tests but it was online emailed to her I filled it in for her she got the job with the comment she was one of the most motivated candidates they had ever interviewed poor love hadnt been out of Brisbane for 24 years and that was only to do the grocery shopping.

Its weird, someone yesterday posted they got into trouble for not reapplying their lipstick enough. Scary at times.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 3:15 am
Melbourne, St Kilda

To the last question on the test "Have you ever been interested in strange customs or practices" I answered:

"Yes, I always get the urge to dance naked on nights with a full moon singing the words to 'Waltizing Miltilda' backwards and bashing my head with a stick".

very very strange questioning indeed!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 4:00 am
Badge

"Yes, I always get the urge to dance naked on nights with a full moon singing the words to 'Waltizing Miltilda' backwards and bashing my head with a stick".
And I thought I was the only one!

By the way, I had a 4 hr test too here in Melbourne, except it was very hard career specific sums, logic and analysis and I was flat out to finish it. I left thinking these people don't fanny around. I was impressed with their underlying thinking, if not impressed with the fact I had to go through with it.

Like your story, too, Dotty.

Last edited by badgersmount; Apr 7th 2004 at 6:02 am.

Old Apr 7th 2004, 6:19 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I'm sure there was plenty of "beating yourself around the head with a stick" after watching the Hawks last week Badger.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 6:24 am
Badge

Originally posted by Bordy
I'm sure there was plenty of "beating yourself around the head with a stick" after watching the Hawks last week Badger.
giggle. I had them tipped in the office comp too.

I'm not a true fan, just the team I have picked to keep a watching brief on. Had to pick one team!

BM

Old Apr 7th 2004, 6:42 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Hi there!

Do you ever blush?
Have you ever fainted?

They were waiting for you to roll up the papers and offer to stick 'em in an uncomfortable place. Did you fail?
Old Apr 7th 2004, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

scitta is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there!

Do you ever blush?
Have you ever fainted?

And may I ask what was the position you were applying for?? Not done a test since a decade and your post gives me jitters
:scared: as I will have to face the same in a years time.

Sarah
Old Apr 7th 2004, 7:39 am
Melbourne, St Kilda

It was a Town Planner job - so it wasn't like I was going to be working with children or in a rifle club or anything! They said I could ask for the results of the psychometric test, so I wonder what they will say about me with my weird dancing naked habit!?
Old Apr 7th 2004, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

Next time you get asked to complete one of these, ask if the employees in the company have been profiled using the same tests. the answer will almost certainly be no.

Most of these tests are bought in by recruiment companies so that they appear to be 'more thorough' to clients. The reality is just the opposite, they are used as a method by which low level and inexperienced recruiters can select their 'ideal model' based on a series of assumptions and false premises.

Ask for a written policy on testing methodologies and face to face feedback by the consultancy. You'll then find what a load of bullshite they are throwing at you.

Unless the tests are validated INTERNALLY and represent a true indicator of performance within that company/Organisation , they are almost worthless.

As someone with 20 odd years of recruitment consultancy experience iIhave been trained in and used a variety of personality and occupational testing. At best they are a tool to use as part of the recruitment process to focus questionning, at worst they are an excuse for shoddy selection.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:42 am
I'm an individual!

Centurix is an unknown quantity at this point

I took a 4 hour test for a company in Melbourne called DWS. I was mildly sick with the flu at the time, which didn't help me. I wish I'd known about that when I accepted to do the test. I asked them afterwards what happens to it and they said it went away for evaluation to a company in Sydney and they get results back from some professor. DWS is a body shop for programmers, they throw resources at projects without thinking if they're the right people thinking that the more the merrier. The projects were a complete mess.

Originally posted by kevmitch
Next time you get asked to complete one of these, ask if the employees in the company have been profiled using the same tests. the answer will almost certainly be no.

Most of these tests are bought in by recruiment companies so that they appear to be 'more thorough' to clients. The reality is just the opposite, they are used as a method by which low level and inexperienced recruiters can select their 'ideal model' based on a series of assumptions and false premises.

Ask for a written policy on testing methodologies and face to face feedback by the consultancy. You'll then find what a load of bullshite they are throwing at you.

Unless the tests are validated INTERNALLY and represent a true indicator of performance within that company/Organisation , they are almost worthless.

As someone with 20 odd years of recruitment consultancy experience iIhave been trained in and used a variety of personality and occupational testing. At best they are a tool to use as part of the recruitment process to focus questionning, at worst they are an excuse for shoddy selection.