Very curious!

Old Feb 9th 2011, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Very curious!

Originally Posted by milly123
Having worked very closely with your occupations, all options may be open to you , If you apply for state sponsorship with your trade, your visa should come through quicker, I think the states still excepting are WA, SA, Vic, Tas, NT, ACT. Although with the Brissy floods they may have opened it back up for QLD.

You will need to get your Trades Licence once here, so give yourself a few weeks grace on arrival, and expect to spend $1000 + on extra bits ( white Card - OH&S etc). A qualified electrician can earn on the books and local anything from $32 - $39 per hr plus super. As a contractor you can price from $49 per hr up to $80 per hr, most are about $69 per hr. Working in the mines, WA is the bigest at taking in trades at the moment, most do 4 weeks on 1 week of to bring in the right money, for this you will earn an average of about $12000 after tax per mth plus Pip ,plus super. But its a hard slog.
You can then work agencies, they are paying about $55 per hour at the mo in Brissy.
Your Wife as a social worker will not have any probs finding work, she could start of at the JSA contracts, Youth connections . Her pay again would start at about $46000 - 58000.
Housing you are looking at a minimum of about $440.000
I would recommend the city’s for the continuation of work,

Thanks Milly thats some great info, I wouldnt be looking at the mines to be honest, I worked away for 5 yrs over here and I wouldnt really want to do that again. I Currently earn £20k over here because im not near any large city's so anything from $25 per hour upwards would be great for me because we're used to working with a tight budget.

If we had a total income of $100-$120k that would be enough wouldnt it?
Old Feb 9th 2011, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by FPE88
If we had a total income of $100-$120k that would be enough wouldnt it?
It all depends on how you live your life...... Some people live very comfortable on $65000 per yr,
The cost of living in Australia is high at the moment, My Husband is crying out for qualified Electricians at the mo , and is currently paying Agency's top money. But living in a small place, sometime's can be hard. As there is not as much work around as people think. SA has been over populated with Trades at the mo, the basic work is there but not really in overtime, although its a good place to start off, Especially for your wife. You need to be paid a minimum of $1000 a week after tax this is Easily achievable on base hrs, this with your wife’s wage will set you up nicely

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 9th 2011 at 3:57 pm. Reason: fixing the quotes
Old Feb 9th 2011, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by milly123
It all depends on how you live your life...... Some people live very comfortable on $65000 per yr,
The cost of living in Australia is high at the moment, My Husband is crying out for qualified Electricians at the mo , and is currently paying Agency's top money. But living in a small place, sometime's can be hard. As there is not as much work around as people think. SA has been over populated with Trades at the mo, the basic work is there but not really in overtime, although its a good place to start off, Especially for your wife. You need to be paid a minimum of $1000 a week after tax this is Easily achievable on base hrs, this with your wife’s wage will set you up nicely
We are used to a very tight budget and we never really do anything, all our money is spent on bills, your lucky if we have 1 takeaway a month and we very rarely go out due to work being dead over here.

I wish I was coming out now if your husband is crying out for electrician, I will have to keep him in mind for when I do actually come out.

Trying to work out our living costs now so we now what price market we would be in for our house.

All advice is much appreciated, keep it coming!

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 9th 2011 at 3:58 pm. Reason: fixing the quotes
Old Feb 9th 2011, 4:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I have family in oz who have lived there for years so I have a better understanding through them than, other people who have been out couple of months to a yr.
Many people on here - like Moneypenny - have been here for years, or are even Aussies born and bred, so don't dismiss all their opinions too quickly
Old Feb 9th 2011, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Many people on here - like Moneypenny - have been here for years, or are even Aussies born and bred, so don't dismiss all their opinions too quickly
I wasnt referring to her, I was referring to friends who have been out for a short time and judging Australia.

Read the posts correctly before you critisize.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

seppo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Curious guys

Firstly I'm in construction..chippy and from the UK..Partners an Aussie, and having lived with onefor 6 years..they're all grumpy in the morning!!! believe me! Mainly because in the heat you get 2 hours of sweaty heat sleep..so go easy on them..although you're right in the fact you only posted..didn't exactly wake them in the middle of the night on the phone..which often happens to me in the UK!

What's right about a place to live...A new life, a new start, a place to raise a family in relative safety with peace of mind..cool with me. To get away from problems, debt, find a job..Nope won't happen

You sound like you want to have a new life..sensibly your looking very early, doing your homework and giving it lots of thought.

Now I'm no expert, but I am a UK citizen (OK ..POM) We still live in the UK but will be moving permanently back in May.

We have a home in Brisbane which we've renovated for two years..

OK facts: Aussie workers are NOT slackers..many stories on forums about them being talkers, work shy, folk preferring foreign workers ..rubbish, so don't arrive thinking you will be picked up because your English..nope!

I've worked on my own renovations in Brisbane...Get it right..It's not holiday hot ducking out of the sun..have a little break..It's working hard hot..exhausting relentless and day after day..you will pray for a cool day and rain sometimes..you will miss the English seasons the difference between summer and winter in QLD is a 'pullover' at night!

It's not for the fainthearted but the one thing you're going to notice is work colleagues! I've worked in the UK construction industry for over 35 years. and the fun has gone out of it..Aussie's still have that! thank god!

Most Aussie tradies work site to site short contract and are very self reliant and that's why they are not 'slackers' a reputation is lost and work dries up..they don't rely on spoon fed work, and aren't afraid to get of their backsides and travel distances to pay the bills.

You could upgrade your Qual's get a sponsor and be like a lot of brits, end up working for a company doing the worse jobs that no-one else wants to do get fed up moan and go back to the UK moaning..Or understand that your sponsor has given you a chance..he knows your going to be off after two years..he won't waste his time and money training you for specific tasks or giving way to wage demands..You'll finish your sponsorship then look for better pay and prospects..they know it.

Or plough some cash in buy a ute hire some labour..make work for Aussie people..yep..they like that!

Standard of living..don't even have to mention that...but I'm not talking money..what price can you put on 'better' security for your family and freedom of choice!

Don't even think about coming to Australia unless you have maybe $60-70k
You're gonna need it if you need retraining/upgrade work certs etc..rentals are high and rare..30-40 per viewing, you have no credit rating (zero). a friend in Brisbane was telling me that some new arrivals were having to offer up to 12 months rental in advance to try to beat off competition..sounds like you're going to need two cars and at least three months safety net money..Not to mention a 'flight home fund'..(a must!) for emergency's

Australia is a great place..so the UK..many Aussies settle here. It's no better no worse and definitely not cheaper!!

So think about it carefully..sorry about the bluntness but too many guys roll down to Aussie with rose tinted specs..within your relationship and home..It'll be the same! work, bills, mortgage,...But with the benefit of 'big skies' warm days, better schools..Oh ..cheaper petrol!!

Hope it helps

Oh! and Aussie's get a blooming grip fella!! and have a good one!!!..all of you!
Old Feb 9th 2011, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by seppo
Hi Curious guys

Firstly I'm in construction..chippy and from the UK..Partners an Aussie, and having lived with onefor 6 years..they're all grumpy in the morning!!! believe me! Mainly because in the heat you get 2 hours of sweaty heat sleep..so go easy on them..although you're right in the fact you only posted..didn't exactly wake them in the middle of the night on the phone..which often happens to me in the UK!

What's right about a place to live...A new life, a new start, a place to raise a family in relative safety with peace of mind..cool with me. To get away from problems, debt, find a job..Nope won't happen

You sound like you want to have a new life..sensibly your looking very early, doing your homework and giving it lots of thought.

Now I'm no expert, but I am a UK citizen (OK ..POM) We still live in the UK but will be moving permanently back in May.

We have a home in Brisbane which we've renovated for two years..

OK facts: Aussie workers are NOT slackers..many stories on forums about them being talkers, work shy, folk preferring foreign workers ..rubbish, so don't arrive thinking you will be picked up because your English..nope!

I've worked on my own renovations in Brisbane...Get it right..It's not holiday hot ducking out of the sun..have a little break..It's working hard hot..exhausting relentless and day after day..you will pray for a cool day and rain sometimes..you will miss the English seasons the difference between summer and winter in QLD is a 'pullover' at night!

It's not for the fainthearted but the one thing you're going to notice is work colleagues! I've worked in the UK construction industry for over 35 years. and the fun has gone out of it..Aussie's still have that! thank god!

Most Aussie tradies work site to site short contract and are very self reliant and that's why they are not 'slackers' a reputation is lost and work dries up..they don't rely on spoon fed work, and aren't afraid to get of their backsides and travel distances to pay the bills.

You could upgrade your Qual's get a sponsor and be like a lot of brits, end up working for a company doing the worse jobs that no-one else wants to do get fed up moan and go back to the UK moaning..Or understand that your sponsor has given you a chance..he knows your going to be off after two years..he won't waste his time and money training you for specific tasks or giving way to wage demands..You'll finish your sponsorship then look for better pay and prospects..they know it.

Or plough some cash in buy a ute hire some labour..make work for Aussie people..yep..they like that!

Standard of living..don't even have to mention that...but I'm not talking money..what price can you put on 'better' security for your family and freedom of choice!

Don't even think about coming to Australia unless you have maybe $60-70k
You're gonna need it if you need retraining/upgrade work certs etc..rentals are high and rare..30-40 per viewing, you have no credit rating (zero). a friend in Brisbane was telling me that some new arrivals were having to offer up to 12 months rental in advance to try to beat off competition..sounds like you're going to need two cars and at least three months safety net money..Not to mention a 'flight home fund'..(a must!) for emergency's

Australia is a great place..so the UK..many Aussies settle here. It's no better no worse and definitely not cheaper!!

So think about it carefully..sorry about the bluntness but too many guys roll down to Aussie with rose tinted specs..within your relationship and home..It'll be the same! work, bills, mortgage,...But with the benefit of 'big skies' warm days, better schools..Oh ..cheaper petrol!!

Hope it helps

Oh! and Aussie's get a blooming grip fella!! and have a good one!!!..all of you!
Cheers mate some very helpfull info there, and I like it straight to the point.

One thing I will do, I wont stop researching from now until I go out there, firstly for a holiday.

Im at the age where I can give it a go for 6 months to a year and if im enjoying I will stay but if I ever wanted to come home I could.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Oh, You'll at very least need a white card..(CSCS)

You can sit the test online and get it sent to you in the UK, one less thing to worry about!..only a few dollars!

I got mine here www.bluedogtraining.com.au ..but they're are plenty of other companies..make sure it covers your state!
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

A reference for jobs is here http://www.seek.com.au/ Just nice to check up the job market at times

Good luck
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:36 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers mate some very helpfull info there, and I like it straight to the point.

One thing I will do, I wont stop researching from now until I go out there, firstly for a holiday.

Im at the age where I can give it a go for 6 months to a year and if im enjoying I will stay but if I ever wanted to come home I could.
if your going to try au with a holdiday visa and you want to work as a sparkie youll need to sort out a licence, ( i`m assuning as ive read gold coast / sunshine coast you intend coming to qld so the following is specific to qld each state has its own version of an electrical licence and it own courses and regulations to getting said licence ) you just wont get a start without one in qld, to apply you`ll need proof that your "as qualified" as an australian sparkie, there are a couple of ways taht this can be done but for speed and budget i`d recommend applying for an artc http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...ages/home.aspx as an electrical mechanic ( dont mix up a artc with a tra cert ) ones for prooving your qualifed to au standards the later is for immigration from certain countries )

next would to do an electrical courses via distance learning, much more convieniant than trying to work around the local tafe ( college)
have alook at qet`s site
http://www.qet.edu.au/

both of the above would be done before leaving the uk

on arrival apply for a permit to train
http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/fair-a...eas-applicants
and apply for a job as a TA ( trade assistant ) you need to be working in order to complete a log book of work completed, this is required for your "full" licence

theres loads there for your research as and when you want more info try posting in the sparkies section there are loads of guys willing to give help and advice
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

regards steve
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve`o
if your going to try au with a holdiday visa and you want to work as a sparkie youll need to sort out a licence, ( i`m assuning as ive read gold coast / sunshine coast you intend coming to qld so the following is specific to qld each state has its own version of an electrical licence and it own courses and regulations to getting said licence ) you just wont get a start without one in qld, to apply you`ll need proof that your "as qualified" as an australian sparkie, there are a couple of ways taht this can be done but for speed and budget i`d recommend applying for an artc http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...ages/home.aspx as an electrical mechanic ( dont mix up a artc with a tra cert ) ones for prooving your qualifed to au standards the later is for immigration from certain countries )

next would to do an electrical courses via distance learning, much more convieniant than trying to work around the local tafe ( college)
have alook at qet`s site
http://www.qet.edu.au/

both of the above would be done before leaving the uk

on arrival apply for a permit to train
http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/fair-a...eas-applicants
and apply for a job as a TA ( trade assistant ) you need to be working in order to complete a log book of work completed, this is required for your "full" licence

theres loads there for your research as and when you want more info try posting in the sparkies section there are loads of guys willing to give help and advice
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

regards steve
Cheers Steve, will be looking into this.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Hi Guys and welcome

I'm afraid I can't offer you any advice workwise but we did a reccie last year to Perth, Sydney, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast for 7 weeks. It was only planned for 5 weeks but we were lucky enough to get a couple of free weeks due to the volcanic ash

Out of all the places we visited we thought that the Gold Coast was the best for us! We loved the lush greenery, the gorgeous beaches and the feel of it generally.

Good luck with your application!
Old Feb 9th 2011, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsE
Hi Guys and welcome

I'm afraid I can't offer you any advice workwise but we did a reccie last year to Perth, Sydney, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast for 7 weeks. It was only planned for 5 weeks but we were lucky enough to get a couple of free weeks due to the volcanic ash

Out of all the places we visited we thought that the Gold Coast was the best for us! We loved the lush greenery, the gorgeous beaches and the feel of it generally.

Good luck with your application!
Im very happy with this, no application as of yet, just weighing everything up but everything is pointing towards Australia atm.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 8:18 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Give it a go mate, bugger all to lose. the websites you've been given are a great place to start, and as long as you go through the paperwork carefully and honestly, there's no reason you'll have to shell out a bucket of cash on agents. Most people do, but I know afew that have done it successfully themselves.

Good luck with it all, most ppl in here will steer you right
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stevenglish
Give it a go mate, bugger all to lose. the websites you've been given are a great place to start, and as long as you go through the paperwork carefully and honestly, there's no reason you'll have to shell out a bucket of cash on agents. Most people do, but I know afew that have done it successfully themselves.

Good luck with it all, most ppl in here will steer you right
Cheers Steve mate, You seem like your enjoying yourself how long you been out there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.