Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A very boring question aboiut microwave and fridge

A very boring question aboiut microwave and fridge

Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default A very boring question aboiut microwave and fridge

We're currently in Singapore, moving to Perth at the end of the year into an almost new house which we own and which is currently between tenants.

On Monday the microwave broke, so I've been looking around for one to fit the microwave recess in the Perth house. I can either buy microwaves that are too small at $120 upwards, or big ones (but not quite big enough) for $1200. Do people buy "built in microwaves" from special suppliers? If so, who? How much? Or can you buy "housings" to fill in the empty space?

Also, the fridge recess is 142cm wide, but the widest side by side fridge-freezers I've seen here about 90 max. Are Aussie fridges bigger? Can anyone point me to a good range online so that when we arrive I can get one ASAP (since the house will be empty).

Thanks!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A very boring question aboiut microwave and fridge

fridge - get one here I guess, I brought one and it wasnt big enough. have a look on the good guys or bing lee site for fridge sizes. by the time you pay freight I wouldnt think it was any saving buying it there plus bumps etc.

For the microwave, you can have space either side and put something in there like cookery books or just get a carpenter or similar to build a surround, its not expensive. They do them in laminex or wood or similar. I meant to do this but the jamie oliver books look ok............

I woudl guess your perth house will have spaces to suit Australian items

good luck
actually that gap is really big - I measured mine and its 912mm wide. I think you will have to put in a wine rack

Viv

Last edited by odyssey; Feb 18th 2010 at 10:02 am.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I wasn't planning to buy the fridge just yet (nowhere to put it) but I'd been thinking that if I did all the research now I could walk straight into a shop and order after we arrive.

I might contact the builder and see if they have contacts who supply microwaves that fit.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Thanks. I wasn't planning to buy the fridge just yet (nowhere to put it) but I'd been thinking that if I did all the research now I could walk straight into a shop and order after we arrive.

I might contact the builder and see if they have contacts who supply microwaves that fit.
Just wait till you get here there are lots of shops selling what you want, no need to order walk in shop pay and walk out with the fridge and microwave of your choice.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Our fridge recess is 142cm wide too. We had a side-by-side fridge/freezer in our old house, we found the huge fridge brilliant but these things are never big on freezer space. So in our current house with such a wide gap, we've bought a "pigeon pair" instead i.e. separate, but matching, fridge and freezer. We bought Electrolux Kelvinator brand from the Good Guys. The appliances are available in two or three different size widths so you can mix 'n' match to find the best fit for the gap.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Jacqui, looks like that might be an option.

Billy: that's the plan (re the fridge/freezer anyway), I was just trying to work out EXACTLY what I want in advance rather than be browsing for ages with a bored 3 year old in tow.

We'll need a microwave before then, so looks like I'll just buy a little cheapy for now.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot of info here

http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/
Old Feb 19th 2010, 9:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacqui
Our fridge recess is 142cm wide too. We had a side-by-side fridge/freezer in our old house, we found the huge fridge brilliant but these things are never big on freezer space. So in our current house with such a wide gap, we've bought a "pigeon pair" instead i.e. separate, but matching, fridge and freezer. We bought Electrolux Kelvinator brand from the Good Guys. The appliances are available in two or three different size widths so you can mix 'n' match to find the best fit for the gap.
Sounds like the best bet to fill the space. I consider my F/F to be wide but it's only a bit wider than 900mm.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Family of 3
On Monday the microwave broke, so I've been looking around for one to fit the microwave recess in the Perth house. I can either buy microwaves that are too small at $120 upwards, or big ones (but not quite big enough) for $1200. Do people buy "built in microwaves" from special suppliers? If so, who? How much? Or can you buy "housings" to fill in the empty space?

Thanks!
Most microwave slots are a standard size and yes you buy housings to go round the microwave. We bought our microwave and housing together so it looked built in (came from Harvey Norman). It is generally the more expensive brands/models that have housings (i.e. $250 upwards) and they are generally the flatter oven door like models. You could try the manufacturers sites to see if they have the information but I'd probably buy a cheapie and then keep an eye out for one you like where it has a housing.