Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Venomous snake in garden

Venomous snake in garden

Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:00 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Venomous snake in garden

Yesterday one of my daughters, who was playing in the garden, shouted "look daddy, a real snake!"

Sure enough, it was a juvenile dugite. When I went to have a look it turned around and struck, fortunately I was too far away.

I sent the kids indoors and "wrangled" it into my pool net, which is on the end of a 20 foot pole. I took it over the road and released it in to the dunes.

We also fount a white tailed spider in the house that evening.

I told the lady across the road and she said that a few years back she found a mature dugite hiding behind the filing cabinet in her study!!!
Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Venomous snake in garden

Originally posted by renth
Yesterday one of my daughters, who was playing in the garden, shouted "look daddy, a real snake!"

Sure enough, it was a juvenile dugite. When I went to have a look it turned around and struck, fortunately I was too far away.

I sent the kids indoors and "wrangled" it into my pool net, which is on the end of a 20 foot pole. I took it over the road and released it in to the dunes.

I told the lady across the road and she said that a few years back she found a mature dugite hiding behind the filing cabinet in her study!!!

Jeez, given your luck, if a bush fire starts in NZ, my advice is...MOVE!!! :scared:
Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:07 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Jeez, given your luck, if a bush fire starts in NZ, my advice is...MOVE!!! :scared:
I'm in WA!

Plus it is the time of year for young dugites, so you have to expect them.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:09 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

We haven't ever had a snake in the house, nor have the inlaws....would be a touch scary if one did slide on in though....as you probably know they can move damn fast!

We do however get lots of spiders, expecially white tails around here. We probably have one in the house on average once or twice every two weeks. Had a close encounter a couple of days ago (friday i think) when i was knocking down the old brick post box. Lifted a brick (no gloves...) and felt somthing soft. I'd squashed a white tail the size of a 50c piece with my finger!!!! Just glad i got him square or i could've been bitten!

Others i've had indoors in the past 3 months include a red back (ironically he was in the toilet) and lots of huntsmen.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:13 pm
ABCDiamond

OK, I admit, that made me look behind my filing cabinet ! I've not seen one in this country yet

I'm not saying that I have never been bitten by a deadly snake though, just not in OZ

Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

It's interesting what people find acceptable after they emigrate. Because venomous snakes and spiders are a natural part of the Aussie landscape, we accept them ("what else can we do?").

But, if back in the UK, a loon armed with a loaded gun/machete walked around our garden from time to time - we'd soon think about moving to a safer area.

Just an observation...
Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm in WA!

Plus it is the time of year for young dugites, so you have to expect them.
Sorry, it was a [feeble] joke - I know it's in WA
Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:23 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by MikeStanton
It's interesting what people find acceptable after they emigrate. Because venomous snakes and spiders are a natural part of the Aussie landscape, we accept them ("what else can we do?").

But, if back in the UK, a loon armed with a loaded gun/machete walked around our garden from time to time - we'd soon think about moving to a safer area.

Just an observation...
Generally, we piss on snakes in the grass until they move on.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:35 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
Generally, we piss on snakes in the grass until they move on.
..back home to sell more cars to unwitted immigrants???
Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

When I arrived to pick some kids up from a school on Friday (part of my job I'm not an abductor!), the Principal was chopping off the head of a baby dugite with a spade. One of the kids was insistent that bay dugites aren't poisonous (I thought they were, anyone know??). I much prefer Renth's method of snake disposal but not sure I'd have the guts to do it!
Some friends of ours had one in the kitchen, they managed to suck it into their Dyson then emptied it into the wheelie bin!

Loopy
Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:47 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Loopy
they managed to suck it into their Dyson then emptied it into the wheelie bin!
A bloody Dyson...what's wrong with the Aussie Turbo Sucker 3000...buy Australian...
Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:48 pm
(It's not my real name)

When I arrived to pick some kids up from a school on Friday (part of my job I'm not an abductor!), the Principal was chopping off the head of a baby dugite with a spade. One of the kids was insistent that bay dugites aren't poisonous (I thought they were, anyone know??). I much prefer Renth's method of snake disposal but not sure I'd have the guts to do it!
Some friends of ours had one in the kitchen, they managed to suck it into their Dyson then emptied it into the wheelie bin!

Loopy

They are poisonous. They don't have much venom so in an adult the effects would probably be localised but they could kill a child if you didn't get to hospital.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:48 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Loopy
Is it an urban myth that most snake bites are caused by people trying to kill the snakes in a manner similiar to the head master.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

We got told by someone at Australia Zoo that snakes are their most active just as the weather warms up, here thats about Sept as they come out to mate, and really active again looking for food just prior to the cool, say April up here, think thats prior to Hibernation. Supposidly the best times of year to get attacked by one.

Speaking of Australia Zoo, we run into the Irwin family in the ladies loo at the shops the other day, (Not Steve, the rest of them), I was really surprised to hear the little girl has the broadest American accent you have ever heard :scared: Not a single trace of Crikey mate there, pure little yankee doodle dandy.

Last edited by dotty; Feb 29th 2004 at 11:59 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 12:02 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dotty
We got told by someone at Australia Zoo that snakes are their most active just as the weather warms up, here thats about Sept as they come out to mate, and really active again looking for food just prior to the cool, say April up here, think thats prior to Hibernation. Supposidly the best times of year to get attacked by one.

Speaking of Australia Zoo, we run into the Irwin family in the ladies loo at the shops the other day, (Not Steve, the rest of them), I was really surprised to hear the little girl has the broadest American accent you have ever heard :scared: Not a single trace of Crikey mate there, pure little yankee doodle dandy.
Her mums American is'nt she? I can picture her, can't remember what she sounds like..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.