Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

veggie seeds - taking into Australia

veggie seeds - taking into Australia

Old Jan 27th 2005, 9:40 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about
Default veggie seeds - taking into Australia

Hubby and myself are mad veggie growers, so will be taking some seeds with us, in our hand luggage back home (QLD). I am well aware of the AQIS guidelines regarding seeds for non-commercial use, but am just really interested if anyone has taken commercially produced veggie seeds with them into Australia, and what the lovely customes/quarantine blokes said about them? Did they let them in? did you get grilled etc? We know we can take the seeds in, it's more experiences that we're interested in!!

this is a long shot - but surely some other forumites are veggie gardeners!!

Thanks

B & Hubby.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

ShellnTez will become famous soon enoughShellnTez will become famous soon enough
Default Re: veggie seeds - taking into Australia

i suppose you can try
just look really naive if they find them
what's the worst they can do? they'll only confiscate them, but the same veggies are grown out there so can't you buy them there?
my mother-in-law managed to smuggle in some easter eggs when she came to visit us when we were on a working holiday
shell
Old Jan 27th 2005, 9:54 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

we actually have some unusual varities of veggie seeds - we're into rare/unusual hard to get veggies. I know we can most, but not all there - hence the thread! Quarantine is very harsh on plant/seed imports, but I think we'll be okay, as non-commercial importers. Was just wondering if anyone had taken in seeds recently. Don't reckon the customs are too kind on ignorance these days - my bro recently forgot to 'declare' some touristy bits he picked up in s.e Asia before christmas and he was thoroughly searched and given an official warning at Brisbane airport
Old Jan 27th 2005, 9:59 am
Swiss, in Brisbane

Barbara_CH is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ShellnTez

what's the worst they can do? they'll only confiscate them,
I wouldn't try that..if you bring them, tell them, otherwise you can get a fine.

Good luck
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:01 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Brissiegirl
Hubby and myself are mad veggie growers, so will be taking some seeds with us, in our hand luggage back home (QLD). I am well aware of the AQIS guidelines regarding seeds for non-commercial use, but am just really interested if anyone has taken commercially produced veggie seeds with them into Australia, and what the lovely customes/quarantine blokes said about them? Did they let them in? did you get grilled etc? We know we can take the seeds in, it's more experiences that we're interested in!!

this is a long shot - but surely some other forumites are veggie gardeners!!

Thanks

B & Hubby.
Customs don't want weeds or pathogens imported. If you label the seeds with their botanical names, declare them and offer them for inspection they will probably let them through - especially if they are in sealed commercial packets.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:01 am
frozen to the keyboard

thanks - I know not to mess with customs!!! They can give huge great fines/warnings/jail etc etc etc...
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:05 am
frozen to the keyboard

Hi Qinkana,

We've labeled all our packets of seeds up - ready for getting the seeds in... will be fun getting grilled by the customs people...
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:17 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not a horticulturalist or anything, but my understanding of why they are strict on seeds coming into the country is to control the possibility of plants that might cause harm to the flora and fauna here in Australia.

I am sure that the person that imported Lantana into Australia never thought of the damage it could cause, but now its a noxious weed in many parts of Australia.

If its not already here, dont bring it unless you get permission to.

http://www.nrm.qld.gov.au/factsheets/pdf/pest/PP34.pdf
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:20 am
frozen to the keyboard

I do understand why there are restrictions - I grew up in Queensland, next to a weed infested creek, so am well aware of the damage that can be caused by weed seeds. I know I can bring the vegg. seeds in - it was simply what experience people have had that I was after... Customs are not the friendliest bunch at the airport..
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:32 am
Account Closed

I do understand why there are restrictions - I grew up in Queensland, next to a weed infested creek, so am well aware of the damage that can be caused by weed seeds. I know I can bring the vegg. seeds in - it was simply what experience people have had that I was after... Customs are not the friendliest bunch at the airport..

I'm sorry. I just re-read your original post and understand it clearer now. I misunderstood and got the initial impression that you knew there were restrictions but wanted to bring seeds in anyway

I have heard of people that want to do this and it just makes me mad, its as bad as animal smuggling and I just had to say something...although in this case, wrongly.

Sorry,

Hels
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:37 am
frozen to the keyboard

Hi Hels,

that's okay! Easy to misunderstand posts - I do it myself It makes me mad too about seed smuggling/animal smuggling etc... We want to bring in the veggie seeds to increase what is available veggie wise, and it's good for the veggie gene pool to increase a bit. So will be doing this all above board and hand over the lot to the customs blokes to look at.. and with a bit of luck, we'll get them back to grow!! Yippee!!

B.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:37 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

most of the seeds you are talking about are probably avaible here any way, ??are we talking heritage vegetables, hierloom seeds, Try a search for "Diggers "seeds on google................... mm
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mr mover
most of the seeds you are talking about are probably avaible here any way, ??are we talking heritage vegetables, hierloom seeds, Try a search for "Diggers "seeds on google................... mm

My Mum is a member of this club and its awesome for rare and exotic species of just about any plant. Can highly recommend them.

http://www.diggers.com.au/main.htm
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:44 am
frozen to the keyboard

Originally Posted by mr mover

Yeah, checked out Diggers, Eden Seeds etc.. and seed savers network.. These were weird things we had for our allotments - the majority of seeds we gave away, just kept some of the odd stuff, in sealed packets, to see if we can bring them with us when we go home. Have already ordered a load of seeds from Eden to replace the majority of what we gave away, and the seeds are now waiting at my parents in Brissie. We want to hit the ground running with our veggies...

but then, we're mad
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:46 am
frozen to the keyboard

We've got the Digger's Seeds veggie book - it's very good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.