Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Veggie options in Brisbane?

Veggie options in Brisbane?

Old Jul 21st 2013, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

nm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nice
Default Veggie options in Brisbane?

I'm moving to Brisbane in a couple of months, and to be honest my diet in the UK is mainly of salad and veggie substitutes- mostly quorn pieces and meat-free burgers. How easy it is to get that kind of thing now over there? I know it took a while for quorn to catch on, but is it easily available to buy now?

Thanks!
Old Jul 21st 2013, 10:01 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Veggie options in Brisbane?

Originally Posted by nm1005
I'm moving to Brisbane in a couple of months, and to be honest my diet in the UK is mainly of salad and veggie substitutes- mostly quorn pieces and meat-free burgers. How easy it is to get that kind of thing now over there? I know it took a while for quorn to catch on, but is it easily available to buy now?

Thanks!
Can't help with Brisbane, but Coles here in Adelaide sell Quorn so I would think you'll be okay. You can also get soya pieces and other vegetarian / vegan options but more limited range than you would see in the UK.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

nm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nice

Thanks for replying! Is it very expensive?
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

A packet of Quorn sausages or burgers are around $6.I think tofu is around $5 a block.I sometimes eat the sausages but never tofu.Some restaurants have limited options.However I don't starve.You will find something.You will find plenty pulses and fresh vegetables.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Do you like Indian Food? Head into Fortitude Valley. There's a little arcade that runs off where McDonalds is, and there are 2 Indian Cafes. Ignore the first one but the second one is a vegetarian Southern Indian cafe that serves lovely veg curries. And cheap. Whenever I do a veg thing I always just cook southern Indian - a great skill for any veggie to develop.

Then diagonally opposite is their grocery store with every pulse and spice known to mankind. A brilliant meat substitute is Soy nuggets (soy wadi) that I always thought were chicken.

Also you can join the Vegan and Vegetarian forum who are very helpful.

I've heard of Quorn but it's not well known here. There are various fake sausages etc available at supermarkets. The local lamb is nice
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

There are also a few vegetarian restaurants - my fave was Govinda's Hare Krishna restaurant in Elizabeth Street - a salad, very mild vegan dish with a couple of pakhoras on the side and a heavenly halava pudding and custard for afters for around $10 iirc.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

Originally Posted by nm1005

Thanks!
Quorn products available in Coles and Woolworths in Brisbane - got a veggie child - but pricey......
Hope this helps