Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Veggie alert! - vegetarian Caviar in Aus

Veggie alert! - vegetarian Caviar in Aus

Old Nov 19th 2003, 5:04 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Cool Veggie alert! - vegetarian Caviar in Aus

"What ho"
For all you "posh" veggies out there lol, thing are looking up.. I found some vegetarian caviar during my last weeks hunting expedition ... "sea relish" it's called , it looks and tastes like caviar. I could hardly tell the difference in taste (I do usually eat the "real" thing as I eat fish ) This veggie cavair is made from seaweed - it's imported from Denmark. It's bit more crunchier than the real thing, taste wise - it's a good alternative

Found mine in woolworths in the fridge section... it was not in the little vegigie food section of the fridge , it was next to the other caviar, and fish products if you go looking for it. It is 100% vegetarian ok.

Toodle pip.. and tally ho, or tally off ... or what ever the phrase goes like

Bet none of you like cavair..lol - well I thought it was the find of the century as far as my supermarket goes for veggie food.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 5:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Not a caviar fan, but it really proves the "Wonder of Woolworths" doesn't it.
Mrs Dagboy and I didn't come across that one yesterday. I am very impressed with their Cracked Pepper Cheese though (Tassie pepper-berries) - Have eatne half a pack for breakfast and the other half for lunch! I need a job or I'll be fat as a pig!!

Very impressed you spotted that one Ceri,not something I would ever have thought existed!
Old Nov 19th 2003, 5:18 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Veggie alert! - vegetarian Caviar in Aus

Originally posted by Ceri
"What ho"
For all you "posh" veggies out there lol, thing are looking up.. I found some vegetarian caviar during my last weeks hunting expedition ... "sea relish" it's called , it looks and tastes like caviar. I could hardly tell the difference in taste (I do usually eat the "real" thing as I eat fish ) This veggie cavair is made from seaweed - it's imported from Denmark. It's bit more crunchier than the real thing, taste wise - it's a good alternative

Found mine in woolworths in the fridge section... it was not in the little vegigie food section of the fridge , it was next to the other caviar, and fish products if you go looking for it. It is 100% vegetarian ok.

Toodle pip.. and tally ho, or tally off ... or what ever the phrase goes like

Bet none of you like cavair..lol - well I thought it was the find of the century as far as my supermarket goes for veggie food.
I will look out for it. I have had Beluga with rye bread, a touch of lemon and vodka. Very nice combo but not worth the cash.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Pollyana
Not a caviar fan, but it really proves the "Wonder of Woolworths" doesn't it.
Mrs Dagboy and I didn't come across that one yesterday. I am very impressed with their Cracked Pepper Cheese though (Tassie pepper-berries) - Have eatne half a pack for breakfast and the other half for lunch! I need a job or I'll be fat as a pig!!

Very impressed you spotted that one Ceri,not something I would ever have thought existed!
If you need luxury snack with few calories, try a jar of (pretend) caviar, The Danish stuff in woolies $4.00 a jar sprinkled with fresh lemon. Then scoff a mango $1.97 from woolies, total calories 200. My two favourite foods and not even fattening The mango season is just starting and they seem very very good this year. Attempt this while floating in a large pool ring and you can even kid yourself your exercising at the same time.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 5:28 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by bondipom
I will look out for it. I have had Beluga with rye bread, a touch of lemon and vodka. Very nice combo but not worth the cash.
It cost me $4 something. Can't remember the exact price of it. I love it spread on plain old white bread washed down with a bottle of tooheys old lol - ahh I'm so posh - burp

cheers
Old Nov 19th 2003, 5:31 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by dotty
If you need luxury snack with few calories, try a jar of (pretend) caviar, The Danish stuff in woolies $4.00 a jar sprinkled with fresh lemon. Then scoff a mango $1.97 from woolies, total calories 200. My two favourite foods and not even fattening The mango season is just starting and they seem very very good this year. Attempt this while floating in a large pool ring and you can even kid yourself your exercising at the same time.
"pretend, pretend Caviar".. don't say that - I'm being posh lol
Old Nov 19th 2003, 5:31 am

We have got 2.250 litres of duty free absolut in the freezer so I might have to hit woollies at the weekend. I think the vodka part might become more important.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 5:35 am
WBB

We have got 2.250 litres of duty free absolut in the freezer so I might have to hit woollies at the weekend. I think the vodka part might become more important.

no "might" about it.

i got a 5 day weekend off work this week and intend to hit the duty free myself.

Old Nov 19th 2003, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Ceri
"pretend, pretend Caviar".. don't say that - I'm being posh lol
Only time I saw real stuff was on Singapore airlines business class, wasn't very posh of me to be stuffing all the little jars down me shirt tho was it
Old Nov 19th 2003, 5:45 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by dotty
Only time I saw real stuff was on Singapore airlines business class, wasn't very posh of me to be stuffing all the little jars down me shirt tho was it
I used to get a load of the packs they used to give out on Sing airlines .. a pair of purple bed socks , toothbrush and comb, I also used to stuff the miniture drinks they give you in my bag.. then ask for another one..lol

I've got a pile of junk somewhere from the planes. And don't start me on hotels... I have thousands of little bottles of shampoo, sewing kits, notebooks, and the few odd towels..lol ashtrays..
oops... I am posh "I tells youse alls"

cheers
Old Nov 19th 2003, 8:02 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

All caviar is vegetarian - it's just eggs. Fish eggs, yes, but eggs all the same. It may not be vegan, but is certainly okay for any veggies who want to eat it.

Seaweed? Sounds more like laver bread!!
Old Nov 19th 2003, 10:27 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by downunderpom
All caviar is vegetarian - it's just eggs. Fish eggs, yes, but eggs all the same. It may not be vegan, but is certainly okay for any veggies who want to eat it.

Seaweed? Sounds more like laver bread!!
You don't kill the chicken to get the chicken eggs, but how do you think they get the eggs out of the sturgeon?
Old Nov 19th 2003, 10:31 pm

Originally posted by JaneandJim
You don't kill the chicken to get the chicken eggs, but how do you think they get the eggs out of the sturgeon?
There are a lot of veges that eat fish!
Old Nov 19th 2003, 10:32 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by JaneandJim
Last time I looked (which was some time back) they quickly ran their thumb along the side of the sturgeon, pushing the eggs out, and then put that valuable fish straight back in the water to produce more eggs. That was proper beluga caviar. Has the production method changed?
Old Nov 19th 2003, 10:33 pm
I like kittens.

There are a lot of veges that eat fish!
Have to disagree - those are not vegetarians, they're pescatarians.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.