Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Vegetarian Parmesan

Vegetarian Parmesan

Old Nov 9th 2003, 10:27 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vegetarian Parmesan

Does anybody know if you can get this in Australia?

Its kind of a staple in our diet and I'll be lost without it. Its hard enough to buy here in the UK.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 10:35 pm
dazuk

Default Re: Vegetarian Parmesan

Originally posted by JaneandJim

Its kind of a staple in our diet and I'll be lost without it. Its hard enough to buy here in the UK.
im not sure as im a vegetarian who hates cheese. Yep as you can imagine that makes life easy!!!

Anyway the vegetarian food in australia is nowhere as good as the UK variety. No quorn is available here and you dont get the wide range of vege products, such as linda mccarntey foods. Also no vege ready made meals in the supermarkets. The restaurants are somewhat lacking in variety for non meat eaters. Also most chips, hash browns, waffles, biscuits donouts here are fried in lard so watch out for that too. I do recall seeing some soya cheese products though.

hope this has helped!

Old Nov 9th 2003, 10:58 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

I hate quorn anyways and I don't work so I have plenty of time to cook, so we don't eat ready made anyways. Also, Linda Mccartney meals tend to be veggie versions of meat products like shepherds pie etc. Could never see the point of that really.

I'm also a fussy eater. I don't like rice or mushrooms, so that cuts out a lot of my options eating out. We had huge problems eating out in Australia when we were there at Easter. The cities were fine, but outside of those our choice was limited to pizza! Ever eaten pizza for 3 weeks? There was a fantastic veggie restaurant on Brunswick St. in Melbourne. I'm hoping that there are some nice ones in Brisbane too but my guide book doesn't mention any. Pizza Hut had a disclaimer on the menu that it couldn't guarantee its vegetarian options were meat free! Put me right off, that did.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 11:06 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

I think you've got Buckley's.....

All cheeses use rennet, and the chances of Oz using the vegetarian version are somewhere between slim and anorexic!

"Cheese is made by coagulating milk to give curds which are then separated from the liquid, whey, after which they can be processed and matured to produce a wide variety of cheeses. Milk is coagulated by the addition of rennet. The active ingredient of rennet is the enzyme, chymosin (also known as rennin). The usual source of rennet is the stomach of slaughtered newly-born calves. Vegetarian cheeses are manufactured using rennet from either fungal or bacterial sources. Advances in genetic engineering processes means they may now also be made using chymosin produced by genetically altered micro-organisms. "

Last edited by downunderpom; Nov 9th 2003 at 11:08 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 8:26 am
Born to be ignored

Originally posted by downunderpom
I think you've got Buckley's.....

All cheeses use rennet, and the chances of Oz using the vegetarian version are somewhere between slim and anorexic!
Does that mean I'm not going to be able to find any cheese to eat at all, except mozzarella, which doesn't use rennet? Most of the English cheese in Waitrose is vegetarian.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 10:19 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

From: http://www.vnv.org.au/UncleDaveArchi...imal%20rennet?

Where can I purchase parmesan cheese made with non-animal rennet?

Q I'm having difficulty finding parmesan cheese (or similar) without rennet. I've seen a few cheddar cheeses (e.g. Nimbin) which specify vegetarian enzymes. And mozzarella seems to be made with "enzyme (non-animal coagulant)". But every type of parmesan in the supermarkets seems to be made with rennet.

A I am sorry to inform you but I am not aware of any brands of parmesan cheese that are rennet-free or any that contain non-animal rennet. I have, however, recently come across a vegan parmesan cheese alternative. It is made by Florentino (UK) and is called "Parmazano Parmesan Style Seasoning". I purchased it through the internet from www.veganstore.com. I have not seen it available in any shops yet. It is quite nice, and although it is not as strong and pungent as the real thing, it does taste quite similar. Having to order it from the US though makes it quite expensive.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 10:49 am
Born to be ignored

Originally posted by Pookin
across a vegan parmesan cheese alternative. It is made by Florentino (UK) and is called "Parmazano Parmesan Style Seasoning". I purchased it through the internet from www.veganstore.com.
Thanks for that Pookin, it sounds fairly gross, but I suppose anything is worth a try once!

Jane