vege food

Old Oct 31st 2003, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

You know how they run those adverts reminding us to eat 5 portions of fruit & veg? They have those here too, but also ads telling us to make sure we get plenty of red meat per week, like 3 or 4 days per week! I'm sure in the UK the recommendation was much lower, like once a week. You go to a bbq and everyone eats huge helpings of meat, usually steak. If it wasn't for my husband, I'm sure we'd all be vegetarian, the kids are leaning that way, if there were some more exciting options in the supermarket it would be easier, I too miss the range that you got in Tesco. Now there's a marketing idea for anyone, how about a Linda McCartney type selection for the Ozzies? If you like veggie burgers, try Birds Eye "Bubble & Squeak" in the frozen food section, they're yummy, my kids prefer them to a pork chop any day. I went shopping yesterday, and came across lamb's tongues and lamb's brains, they looked really gross, I don't remember ever seeing brains in Tesco. If you've got a dog, it's easy here to buy fresh raw meat for them in cheap bulk packs, like chicken necks and chicken wings but I can't bring myself to buy kangaroo meat for him, it just doesn't seem right. Massive marrow bones too, think that might upset his tummy though as he's still only a pup. Also pig's ears yuk!!
Old Oct 31st 2003, 12:47 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Jacqui
If you like veggie burgers, try Birds Eye "Bubble & Squeak" in the frozen food section, they're yummy, my kids prefer them to a pork chop any day.
I can't bring myself to buy kangaroo meat for him, it just doesn't seem right.
Already found the B&S - my wife prefers it grilled, as it seems to get a crunchier outside then.

Kanga meat - I used to feed my dogs / cats on that. It was always marked 'unfit for human consumption'. It was a shock to come back out here and find it in the supermarkets, and people talking about kangaroo steak!

:scared:
Old Oct 31st 2003, 12:50 am
dazuk

Originally posted by Jacqui
You know how they run those adverts reminding us to eat 5 portions of fruit & veg? They have those here too, but also ads telling us to make sure we get plenty of red meat per week, like 3 or 4 days per week! I'm sure in the UK the recommendation was much lower, like once a week. You go to a bbq and everyone eats huge helpings of meat, usually steak. If it wasn't for my husband, I'm sure we'd all be vegetarian, the kids are leaning that way, if there were some more exciting options in the supermarket it would be easier, I too miss the range that you got in Tesco. Now there's a marketing idea for anyone, how about a Linda McCartney type selection for the Ozzies? If you like veggie burgers, try Birds Eye "Bubble & Squeak" in the frozen food section, they're yummy, my kids prefer them to a pork chop any day. I went shopping yesterday, and came across lamb's tongues and lamb's brains, they looked really gross, I don't remember ever seeing brains in Tesco. If you've got a dog, it's easy here to buy fresh raw meat for them in cheap bulk packs, like chicken necks and chicken wings but I can't bring myself to buy kangaroo meat for him, it just doesn't seem right. Massive marrow bones too, think that might upset his tummy though as he's still only a pup. Also pig's ears yuk!!
My only guess at the lack of lin mccarntey food is the total meat staple of the aussie diet, also most aussies i met only avoided meat for health reasons(red usually)not a hatred of the animal slaughter process, which probably expaines there theory that vegetarians eat seafood?

I woulsd love to see decent vege products such as lin mac and quorn etc, however i feel oz resembles Uk circa 1972, in this topic and in so many ways, so I wont hold my breath (or book aflight back to aus)

Back in UK

Old Oct 31st 2003, 12:58 am
dazuk

wind up 2 veges in oz

Lin macarneys burgers, deep country pies, sausage rolls

sainsburys ready made vege biryani, sag aloo, bombay potato, ready made vege shepards pie, quorn spag bol, chill, tikka massala, chilled vege samasas, spring rolls, onion bhajias, proper naan bread(peshwari, garlic and coriander) lovely vege pates and quorn ham slices,

shit im hungry now, im off the the chippie for a decent bag or chips with lashings of salt and VINEGER and CURRY SAUCE.

Old Oct 31st 2003, 1:01 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by dazuk
wind up 2 veges in oz

Lin macarneys burgers, deep country pies, sausage rolls

sainsburys ready made vege biryani, sag aloo, bombay potato, ready made vege shepards pie, quorn spag bol, chill, tikka massala, chilled vege samasas, spring rolls, onion bhajias, proper naan bread(peshwari, garlic and coriander) lovely vege pates and quorn ham slices,

shit im hungry now, im off the the chippie for a decent bag or chips with lashings of salt and VINEGER and CURRY SAUCE.

All night chippie? Surely it's 2:20 AM there?

Nice try!
Old Oct 31st 2003, 1:04 am
dazuk

allrite u caught me out!!

still I got a freezer full of vege gems that u in oz would shag a wombat 4!

Old Oct 31st 2003, 1:08 am
I like kittens.

allrite u caught me out!!

still I got a freezer full of vege gems that u in oz would shag a wombat 4!
I'm not the veggie in the family - had a nice home-made chicken Korma last night. Mmmmmmmmm!
Old Oct 31st 2003, 1:10 am
dazuk

Originally posted by downunderpom
I'm not the veggie in the family - had a nice home-made chicken Korma last night. Mmmmmmmmm!
fair enuff, just show that list of vege food 2 yr missus!! Shell be cryin big time!!

Off to bed now!! see ya

Old Oct 31st 2003, 1:13 am
I like kittens.

fair enuff, just show that list of vege food 2 yr missus!! Shell be cryin big time!!
Off to bed now!! see ya
Sleep tight.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Ugh! I don't think I want to eat them myself, now! Not only 24.7g of fat, but 11.6g of saturated fat! And the 5.5g protein.... must be animal fat. 56.1g carbs, means that it's a third fats.

Well, Maccas just lost TWO customers!
Fast Food Nation did it for me.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Already found the B&S - my wife prefers it grilled, as it seems to get a crunchier outside then.

Kanga meat - I used to feed my dogs / cats on that. It was always marked 'unfit for human consumption'. It was a shock to come back out here and find it in the supermarkets, and people talking about kangaroo steak!

:scared:
I'm not particularly fond of kangaroo meat, it's meant to be cooked rare or medium rare, and I like my meat cooked pretty well.
However, kangaroo is

*healthy to eat - lean, nutritious, and not full of worms as some people suspect
*good for the environment
*killed humanly
*cheap
*sustainably hunted

I would eat a lot more of it if I liked red meat, and it didn't taste like liver when cooked well.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 1:56 am
I like kittens.

Originally posted by Nara
I'm not particularly fond of kangaroo meat, it's meant to be cooked rare or medium rare, and I like my meat cooked pretty well.
However, kangaroo is

*healthy to eat - lean, nutritious, and not full of worms as some people suspect
*killed humanly
*cheap
*sustainably hunted

I would eat a lot more of it if I liked red meat, and it didn't taste like liver when cooked well.
I always found it rather strong, with a 'gamey' smell. Still - it was the pet food stuff that I was chopping up at the time, so that probably has something to do with it! It's probably an aquired taste...
Old Oct 31st 2003, 2:07 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Nara
However, kangaroo is

*killed humanly
*cheap
*sustainably hunted

I love Kanga, cooked rare on the barbie, especially joey, which is is really tender.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 2:15 am
owieb

Originally posted by renth
I love Kanga, cooked rare on the barbie, especially joey, which is is really tender.
And it can be very cheap if you go and get yourself a couple of roadkills!

Old Oct 31st 2003, 8:22 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

There are far more ready made meal options in the UK in general, not just vegetarian.

For me, I'd much rather make my food from scratch anyway, especially if you're concerned about what goes into it.

Just a difference in background to me - eating ready made meals to me is the last thing you'd want to if you want anything vaguely nutritious. That's because in NZ, they are rubbish (and expensive) - in UK there is a better range, but I'm so used to making things from scratch that I don't see the point in them.

You can make the same thing yourself just as quickly, more cheaply, and nicer.

Each to their own.... but it seems like 1972 was such a long time ago you've forgotten how to make things from scratch!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.