Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Varsity Lakes rental with a pool?

Varsity Lakes rental with a pool?

Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Varsity Lakes rental with a pool?

We're arriving in June and I'm trying to get an idea about rentals, we are hoping to get a 4 bed in the Varsity College Junior school catchment area. There does seem to be a few in our price range but its rare to find one with a pool. The thing is to help convince the kids about the move, I bribed them with the idea that we'd have our own pool but now I'm starting to wonder whether that'll be possible In which case I could have trouble ahead!

Does anyone know if there are many rentals with pools in this area and I've just been unlucky when I've looked or is it that a lot of the rentals have been bought as buy to let investments and the owners have decided that a pool is not worth the hassle?

Lindsay x
Old Feb 26th 2009, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Varsity Lakes rental with a pool?

Now I've thought about it, and this is really is a long shot , there wouldn't be any BE members who are looking to move out of their rental in June who could maybe give us a heads up?

...............as I said its a long shot but got to be worth an ask

Lindsay x
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:39 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desperatehousewife
We're arriving in June and I'm trying to get an idea about rentals, we are hoping to get a 4 bed in the Varsity College Junior school catchment area. There does seem to be a few in our price range but its rare to find one with a pool. The thing is to help convince the kids about the move, I bribed them with the idea that we'd have our own pool but now I'm starting to wonder whether that'll be possible In which case I could have trouble ahead!

Does anyone know if there are many rentals with pools in this area and I've just been unlucky when I've looked or is it that a lot of the rentals have been bought as buy to let investments and the owners have decided that a pool is not worth the hassle?

Lindsay x
we know lotsof people in the varsity area, some renting some owners and most have pools

a good way to look is using the address of the realestate to check it out via satellite

this is our old rental, ( oranged roofed propery in the centre )

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...02403&t=h&z=19

and where we are now

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...04807&t=h&z=18

this google maps amazing

Last edited by steve`o; Feb 26th 2009 at 6:44 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steve`o
we know lotsof people in the varsity area, some renting some owners and most have pools

a good way to look is using the address of the realestate to check it out via satellite

this is our old rental, ( oranged roofed propery in the centre )

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...02403&t=h&z=19

and where we are now

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...04807&t=h&z=18

this google maps amazing
Hubby is a huge fan of google maps, we were on real estate.com.au last night and saw some amazing properties for sale but if we can't sell here we can't buy there

I have no problem with new estates, I can see all the positives especially if you have kids but I grew up on a farm and there is nothing better than your own space.

Your new house looks fantastic btw, you wouldn't be needing any lodgers!

Lindsay x
Old Feb 26th 2009, 8:49 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Just a heads up, you'd probably find the pool pretty cold to swim in unless it's heated or has a solar pool cover.

We moved here from Canada and when we got into our house in September the water was freezing. So I'd say that it might be too cold from July to September. Just my opinion though.

We love having the pool, but since you're arriving around winter I just thought you should know you might not be able or want to swim in it right away.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know it's going to be cold, but I have 5 scottish kids need I say more!

Lindsay x
Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:21 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by desperatehousewife
I know it's going to be cold, but I have 5 scottish kids need I say more!

Lindsay x
I said the same thing my first winter.... I'm Canadian so thought it would be no problem. I was a bit too chicken though to go in our pool at the beginning of September. Probably would be all right in June though.

I imagine the kids would be in no mater how cold!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

painter in aus will become famous soon enoughpainter in aus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by comet555
I said the same thing my first winter.... I'm Canadian so thought it would be no problem. I was a bit too chicken though to go in our pool at the beginning of September. Probably would be all right in June though.

found 1 yet
Old Feb 27th 2009, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice

Steve, would you mind to tell us what you paid for your Varsity Lakes rental..?
It looks in exactly the position that we will be looking in May.....
It would help to get an idea.

Thanks!
Nix
Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lindsay,
There are two differentish parts to Varsity there is the old part and new part, the older low set houses nearer to Burleigh waters are a little less desirable, we looked at a house there and there were a lot more utes and bogans!! (sorry, if you live there and you are not a bogan) The new part is more expensive but there are lots of complexes and apartments mixed between houses.

We originally loved the thought of acreage but we needed to make life simple, so being near the school, beach and shopping centre was practical.

We moved into our own house in august last year and our daughter had a party - all of the kids (mostly aussie) were straight in the pool, rather them than me though...brrrrrrrr!!!

We'll keep our eyes out!
Pm me with how much you're looking to pay etc
Sam
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:45 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nix and Mike
Steve, would you mind to tell us what you paid for your Varsity Lakes rental..?
It looks in exactly the position that we will be looking in May.....
It would help to get an idea.

Thanks!
Nix
470 a week
Old Feb 27th 2009, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by comet555

I doubt I'll be brave enough to get in myself , but I know for sure the girls will be, no matter how cold!

Lindsay x
Old Feb 27th 2009, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sammyg
Hi Lindsay,
There are two differentish parts to Varsity there is the old part and new part, the older low set houses nearer to Burleigh waters are a little less desirable, we looked at a house there and there were a lot more utes and bogans!! (sorry, if you live there and you are not a bogan) The new part is more expensive but there are lots of complexes and apartments mixed between houses.

We originally loved the thought of acreage but we needed to make life simple, so being near the school, beach and shopping centre was practical.

We moved into our own house in august last year and our daughter had a party - all of the kids (mostly aussie) were straight in the pool, rather them than me though...brrrrrrrr!!!

We'll keep our eyes out!
Pm me with how much you're looking to pay etc
Sam

Thanks Sam

have PM'd you

Lindsay x
Old Feb 27th 2009, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice

Originally Posted by steve`o
470 a week
Thanks Steve.
From what I can see, that was a standalone house, not a townhouse in a complex, so that's not bad.
Did you battle to find it, or was there relative availbility?

Nix
Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:15 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by Nix and Mike
Thanks Steve.
From what I can see, that was a standalone house, not a townhouse in a complex, so that's not bad.
Did you battle to find it, or was there relative availbility?

Nix
both myself and others have found that money talks
they go on about you must have references for this that and the other

we didnt have jobs or anything just a blank bank receipt showing that we banked with the commonwealth,

i took the realestate agent to one side and offered to pay six months rent up front, others we know have offered 3 months and got the property

friends of ours were in the same position with about a dozen other families looking at the same property ( they organise the viewings en mass as it were with all the prospective clients looking at the same time and it can be intimidating ) they again spoke to the realestate agent and offered 4 months and the next day the property contract was available for signing

whats available i`d say its slightly better than it was two yrs ago when we rented but a quick trip around
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...u=fn-rea&t=ren

says it all 10 pages with 10 per pagead more and no i`ve not looked at any

as for your other question yes it was a stand alone house with a pool

good luck guys and if anyone whats to know something local just ask

regards steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.