Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Validation trip to perth

Validation trip to perth

Old May 5th 2006, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of
Default Validation trip to perth

Well that’s it the validation trip has been done, no big fanfare at the Perth airport, just showed the passports and a welcome to Australia that’s it….booked a bigger car for the luggage(leaving cases with friends) with hertz in the UK, slight cock up there, but all sorted in the end…..
Perth house prices….yes they have gone up…but I have to say…. I’ve heard this from the poms and aussies…”house prices are going up and up” the only difference is the poms have big smiles on their faces…..reminds me of the eighties…
And to be honest what some are asking for their house they are taking the piss. Some but not all are older houses that need modernizing and updating the kitchens/flooring windows…you get the general idea

Petrol has gone up to $1.41 unleaded in some places.
Clothes I found to be a bit pricy around £9.00 for a tee-shirt.

Food was ok prices maybe a bit higher than the UK but if you shop around a bit you can get the deals so no difference there really. Also vegemite was ok, also don’t take any notice of the B(&%£%Ks you hear on this site about, “I cant get this and that over here”. there are poms shops around with UK food in if you really want it, its true there’s not the choices of food in the shops,
But hey it’s probably taken you up to two years to get here, so if you can’t get your favourite brand of “bog roll” or “toothpaste”…..who cares

Brought a TomTom1 from Harvey Normans (Joodalup) $799.00.. Cash price $755.00…it works well and I’m happy…same model in HN but in Warwick $785?
Banks….opened one online with Westpac…went to the branch in Joodalup to finish setting up, very easy and the staff helpful, take’s about 30 minutes or so to setup..
TFN…again had done online in about 15/20 minutes…very easy to do.
Medical……if you live north of Joodalup beware because the doctors won’t come to you in an emergency or out of hours, there are plans to cover these area if they can get the doctors. But at a cost of around $250 per call out.
Driving licence….If you have a full UK one you don’t need to do any test…go to the licensing office with passport. Proof of address, something with your signature on it…about $71.00 for a year and $107.00 for 5 years

Area’s…..again personal choice but this was our view..
Butler/Clarkson/Ellenbrook…to far out
Curranbine… As far as I would like to go north.
(Girrawheen, Marangaroo/ Greenwood/ Kingsley/ Woodvale/ Padbury/ Heathridge)….didn’t like at all.. some parts looked like Beirut, a lot of people in these area’s had made efforts to tidy up their property, doing the lawn, making the place look nice, but next door looks like a S$%^& hole. What surprised me was some houses were on the market for the top $
Ocean reef…very nice but pricey
Connolly/ Hillary’s/ Beldon…ok

Will we settle in the Joodalup area, I don’t think so….reason’s being the medical issue and there’s only a couple of roads in and out, so in an emergency everyone’s going to be on it! also there are so many poms up here its like the north of England, nothing wrong with that but if you like that kind of thing, save your money on the visa fee’s and stay where you are.We just get the feeling people want this area to be a “little Britain “.If that’s your thing fine, but what really swung it for us is….there’s not many places to go out to…Sizzlers, couple of other Chinese / Thai, chippies, fast food outlets and that’s it.I think you will soon get bored… The first time we came here it was in “holiday mode “ this time we have looked as much as possible to the practical side and to what “WE” want out of Oz, not other people life styles, don’t get me wrong NOR is fine if you want a manufactured home from home, with familiar comfort zone’s, number plates with football teams, every premiership strip’s, and shop assistance that are all poms, then go for it …Its has no character at all ,I believe it’s over rated and over priced, my view only with the “Rose tinted classes” off
Old May 5th 2006, 4:10 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Validation trip to perth

Originally Posted by Steve2438
NOR is fine if you want a manufactured home from home, with familiar comfort zone’s, number plates with football teams, every premiership strip’s, and shop assistance that are all poms, then go for it …Its has no character at all ,I believe it’s over rated and over priced, my view only with the “Rose tinted classes” off
Not all of NOR is as you say. Plenty of older established areas. SOR is a bit of a poor cousin in many places compared to NOR. Want character in a city? Hmmm, not in Perth mate, try eastern states or maybe somewhere like Albany.
Old May 5th 2006, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Want character in a city?

Might have to expand on that word "character" for NOR...by character i mean some where different from next door...Most of the places mainley Joodalup and north are the same as everybody else,you drive into a subi and you could be anywhere.each area had the same doctors,dentist shopping area's all very man made for a purpose...nothing wrong with that at all,that how commuituies are formed...what i'm saying is SOR there are area's/road's,streets that are different,lots of different bars, eating area's,you can go somewhere different and feel like it's different...maybe not much but aleast some....why is SOR poor mans relation to NOR,thats exactly the same attitude we found out there...god... get over yourself
Old May 5th 2006, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Will we settle in the Joodalup area, I don’t think so….reason’s being the medical issue and there’s only a couple of roads in and out, so in an emergency everyone’s going to be on it! also there are so many poms up here its like the north of England, nothing wrong with that but if you like that kind of thing, save your money on the visa fee’s and stay where you are.We just get the feeling people want this area to be a “little Britain “.If that’s your thing fine, but what really swung it for us is….there’s not many places to go out to…Sizzlers, couple of other Chinese / Thai, chippies, fast food outlets and that’s it.I think you will soon get bored… The first time we came here it was in “holiday mode “ this time we have looked as much as possible to the practical side and to what “WE” want out of Oz, not other people life styles, don’t get me wrong NOR is fine if you want a manufactured home from home, with familiar comfort zone’s, number plates with football teams, every premiership strip’s, and shop assistance that are all poms, then go for it …Its has no character at all ,I believe it’s over rated and over priced, my view only with the “Rose tinted classes” off

I agree entirely with this. ..Just totally bland

To add....think the Trueman Show
Old May 5th 2006, 4:55 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

preference to area is personal taste and not to be ridiculed. I prefer the north, my best mate wanted to be closer to city and lives in Mount Lawley. I wouldn't live there if you paid me. Another friend lives in Leeming and again wouldn't want to be there. Personal preference mate, simple as, end of!
Old May 5th 2006, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by northernbird
preference to area is personal taste and not to be ridiculed. I prefer the north, my best mate wanted to be closer to city and lives in Mount Lawley. I wouldn't live there if you paid me. Another friend lives in Leeming and again wouldn't want to be there. Personal preference mate, simple as, end of!
Keep your Northern nickers on luv,nobody is ridiculeding the north,its as you said,Personal preference,each to there own.
Old May 5th 2006, 5:22 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

we don't wear knickers where I come from 'luv'
Old May 5th 2006, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Think positive then...keeps the fly's off the BBQ....Chuck
Old May 5th 2006, 5:33 am
Gutter Gob!!

i know now why I thank god every day for Watford Gap
Old May 5th 2006, 5:42 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

pmsl...watch your loulou dont catch a cold down there luv...
Old May 5th 2006, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

i know now why I thank god every day for Watford Gap
that's our new immigration point,when we head north...show passports...thats ok but it's the quarantine for when we come back south...
Old May 5th 2006, 5:48 am
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

When you 2 were kids, were you in a 'gang' "my dads bigger than your dad, my towns better than yours...."
you sad lot, can't anyone write a thread without getting abusive......

Perhaps by saying that I've just joined in another gang, talk about getting dragged in :scared:

I can't wait to get out to Joondalup, sounds lovely & new, thanks for YOUR personal comments, but I think its entirely upto the individual whether they like a place or not, some people wouldn't buy a new build over here for any price, some people think pre war houses are gross, so what ?????????????
Old May 5th 2006, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soonbethere
When you 2 were kids, were you in a 'gang' "my dads bigger than your dad, my towns better than yours...."
you sad lot, can't anyone write a thread without getting abusive......

Perhaps by saying that I've just joined in another gang, talk about getting dragged in :scared:

I can't wait to get out to Joondalup, sounds lovely & new, thanks for YOUR personal comments, but I think its entirely upto the individual whether they like a place or not, some people wouldn't buy a new build over here for any price, some people think pre war houses are gross, so what ?????????????
Spot a bit of humour when you see it
Old May 5th 2006, 5:54 am
Gutter Gob!!

that's our new immigration point,when we head north...show passports...thats ok but it's the quarantine for when we come back south...

Old May 5th 2006, 6:49 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Clothes I found to be a bit pricy around £9.00 for a tee-shirt.

If you think $9 is pricy for a T shirt, I dread to think where you buy your clothes in the UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.