British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Validation trip to Melbourne (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/validation-trip-melbourne-215388/)

cadman Apr 21st 2004 11:54 pm

More to follow.
I took a few pics of the countryside inland around Melbourne etc. i.e. not the usual touristy pics which I'll post tomorrow (maybe!)

anya4oz Apr 22nd 2004 7:44 am

Originally posted by cadman
More to follow.
I took a few pics of the countryside inland around Melbourne etc. i.e. not the usual touristy pics which I'll post tomorrow (maybe!)
Yay! Great pics - love those beaches. Look forward to seeing the countryside ones....

Anya.

Badge Apr 22nd 2004 8:27 am

Re: Validation trip to Melbourne

Originally posted by cadman

We did quite a lot of driving in and around Melbourne and noticed that there seemed to be very few properties with any decent sized plots.
Andy.
The newer they are, the smaller eg 400 m2 - 600m2. Some of the new suburbs are shocking.

I want to buy in an established area and try and get something *approaching* the 1/4 acre. - 1000m2. Having said that, don't want a big garden, just big enough for a pool and a bit more as it will be just cancer city otherwise..outdoor entertaiment area and covered sun deck more important for me.

BM

OzTennis Apr 22nd 2004 9:32 am

Originally posted by badgersmount
The newer they are, the smaller eg 400 m2 - 600m2. Some of the new suburbs are shocking.

I want to buy in an established area and try and get something *approaching* the 1/4 acre. - 1000m2. Having said that, don't want a big garden, just big enough for a pool and a bit more as it will be just cancer city otherwise..outdoor entertaiment area and covered sun deck more important for me.

BM
I was reading an article last week from one of the Melbourne newspapers (it was a cutting I was sent so I can't point to it on the web) which said that over the last 10 years the average floor space of newly built Melbourne homes has increased by nearly 30% but that the outside area had decreased by 15-20%. In other words, the latest trend seems to be that it is the size of your house and not the backyard and front garden which new home owners consider important. More and more double storey new houses and loft extensions in existing homes are being seen. I'm not saying this is necessarily a good thing, just that it's the choice people are making. The article also said that median property prices increased in every one of Melbourne's 238 suburbs in 2003! (2004 promises to be different with interest rates going up and all that)

It's pretty obvious but if you want a big block this invariably means locating in an outer suburb. You have to trade this off with increased distances to travel etc. A lot of larger inner suburban blocks are being carved up with an old house knocked down and a few (or more) townhouses or units put up in its place.

OzTennis:)

OzTennis Apr 22nd 2004 9:39 am

1 Attachment(s)
I've got stacks of Melbourne photos so I'll post some for anyone who is interested. I think they are mainly bmp rather than jpg so you might have to click on a link rather than see them on the page. In no particular order:

Autumn in Exhibition Gardens

OzTennis Apr 22nd 2004 9:42 am

1 Attachment(s)
The City from Williamstown:

OzTennis Apr 22nd 2004 9:45 am

1 Attachment(s)
City lights from Southbank:

OzTennis Apr 22nd 2004 9:48 am

1 Attachment(s)
2 icons - Flinders St Station and tram, at night:

OzTennis Apr 22nd 2004 9:51 am

1 Attachment(s)
Last one for now - Sunset over the Westgate Bridge:

OzTennis Apr 22nd 2004 10:25 am

1 Attachment(s)
Shot Tower in Melbourne Central - yes, that is a plane and a balloon:

OzTennis Apr 22nd 2004 10:31 am

1 Attachment(s)
City skyline bathed in late sunshine from Altona:

OzTennis Apr 22nd 2004 10:37 am

1 Attachment(s)
The title says it!

OzTennis Apr 22nd 2004 10:43 am

1 Attachment(s)
And lastly for now! These all come incidentally from www.theage.com.au click on photo galleries click on My Melbourne and you'll find 500 images in the 2003 series and over 100 so far in 2004 series. GOR:

hevs Apr 22nd 2004 10:58 am

Originally posted by OzTennis
I was reading an article last week from one of the Melbourne newspapers (it was a cutting I was sent so I can't point to it on the web) which said that over the last 10 years the average floor space of newly built Melbourne homes has increased by nearly 30% but that the outside area had decreased by 15-20%. In other words, the latest trend seems to be that it is the size of your house and not the backyard and front garden which new home owners consider important. More and more double storey new houses and loft extensions in existing homes are being seen. I'm not saying this is necessarily a good thing, just that it's the choice people are making. The article also said that median property prices increased in every one of Melbourne's 238 suburbs in 2003! (2004 promises to be different with interest rates going up and all that)

It's pretty obvious but if you want a big block this invariably means locating in an outer suburb. You have to trade this off with increased distances to travel etc. A lot of larger inner suburban blocks are being carved up with an old house knocked down and a few (or more) townhouses or units put up in its place.

I was in Glen Waverly today and drove down a street FULL of mc mansions, it was like something out of "gone with the wind" on steroids. There were balconies and pillars galore, it was mc hideous, no room betwen any of the houses, they may just have well been terraced and be done with it:p
YUK YUK YUK!

Troood Apr 22nd 2004 11:34 am

Photo's

Thanks for all the photo's = makes it all the more exciting. I can't bl**dy wait!!!! :D