Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Validation Trip To Mel - Was it Worth it?

Validation Trip To Mel - Was it Worth it?

Old Jun 4th 2005, 8:27 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Validation Trip To Mel - Was it Worth it?

Thanks for that really interesting and honest really enjoyed reading it well done!
Kris
Old Jun 4th 2005, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Sherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the rough

Wonderful post.... cried when I read it, as it showed Melbourne in such a good light and you really made the place come alive again for us!
Went 2 years ago and had a really great time but with time you obviously forget the best bits.

We too are going there to validate in September but we've been having ideas of settling elsewhere as we've met so many BExps going to Brissie and S.QLD, your post helped us realise again many of Melbournes positive points and why it might turn out to be the right place for us.

We are going to do a bit of a tour when we get there as this is the only way we feel we can decide where we want to be but it really helped us look forward to visiting Melbourne again.
Thanks for your time and effort, must have taken you ages, but it has been a very helpful read for me, hubbie and our eldest son.

Maybe see you in September!!
Old Jun 5th 2005, 8:04 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Errrm, we're not all like-minded people on this forum. That's what makes it great! There's diversity and differences of opinion; we're not all the same! We're not all looking for a 'better' life; some of us are just here because of the adventure of it all and because Aus is different, not better or worse and so our lifestyles are just different too, not better or worse either.

As for Aus not being so PC!! You've heard of National Reconciliation Week, Sorry Day etc?

GG

Originally Posted by andyedwards
We're all like minded people on this forum, everyone is looking forward, getting stressed, worrying, wanting a better life, getting impatient, more stress, wanting to be able to say something not pc (the Aussies insist on calling things as they see it and boy what a breath of fresh air that can be!!), people having a sense of humour, wanting to be able to earn a good wage in exchange for working hard and not being penalised by Mr Tax Man so harshly, good weather, outdoor life, friendly people who walk tall and not bow their heads pretending not to notice others exist. I could go on but your points have mentioned all I am looking forward to in Australia and all that I won't miss here - i.e marmite for a start!!!

Good luck with all your plans and dreams

Sharon
Old Jun 5th 2005, 8:45 am
& Sharon, Mike & Luke

andyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really nice

Nice to know there are some "different" people in the world - I'd never have guessed! That was my opinion GG, sorry to have provoked a negative response. How is lovely Sydney this fine morning? I happen to think that is one of the most beautiful cities I've been to, but then that is my personal opinion popping up again.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 8:45 am

bjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura about

Great thread. Fair, balanced, relevant, interesting and a good read.

Good luck.

Brian.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 9:00 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I was just pointing out that we're not all the same, in response to you saying:

We're all like minded people on this forum
I wasn't being negative. Just don't want someone else speaking for me, which the above implies.

Sydney this evening is cold and dark.

Nice to know there are some "different" people in the world - I'd never have guessed! That was my opinion GG, sorry to have provoked a negative response. How is lovely Sydney this fine morning? I happen to think that is one of the most beautiful cities I've been to, but then that is my personal opinion popping up again.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 9:16 am
& Sharon, Mike & Luke

andyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really nice

Point taken but I was just trying to say we all want the same thing - better life ? (I presume anyway) Whether an adventure or whatever the reason
I wasn't trying to speak for you or anybody else

Why did you go to Sydney - if you don't mind me asking?
& does it live up to any expectations you had before you went?
Old Jun 5th 2005, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

I thought this was a fantastic thread - well done and thanks for saying it all. I felt the same about Melbourne when we flew over in December. We spent a week in Sydney and (sorry guys) it didn't really 'call' to me. It seemed like any other city, pretty much. But when we flew to Melbourne a week later, walking off that plane, I knew I had found 'home'. Great to see other people felt the same way I did!
Old Jun 5th 2005, 9:21 am
Cup of tea, Father?

And that's all I was getting at - we've not come to Sydney for a better life. Hand on heart! I know that some people think that's a bit strange, but it's true. We don't have children, so that's not a consideration. We both had good jobs in the UK, comfortable lifestyle etc. That's why, for us, the move was (and still is) about living somewhere else - no more or less than that. Nothing at all to do with a better lifestyle.

I think what means the board works best, is that people do speak from their own experiences and don't try to talk for everyone else. That's why generalisations just don't work! If I was to start of with a 'we're all happy with the UK and just fancied a change ...' there'd be uproar!

Oh and expectations. Errrrm. 'bout what we thought. 'Cause we didn't come expecting anything.

Point taken but I was just trying to say we all want the same thing - better life ? (I presume anyway) Whether an adventure or whatever the reason
I wasn't trying to speak for you or anybody else

Why did you go to Sydney - if you don't mind me asking?
& does it live up to any expectations you had before you went?
Old Jun 5th 2005, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
And that's all I was getting at - we've not come to Sydney for a better life. Hand on heart! I know that some people think that's a bit strange, but it's true. We don't have children, so that's not a consideration. We both had good jobs in the UK, comfortable lifestyle etc. That's why, for us, the move was (and still is) about living somewhere else - no more or less than that. Nothing at all to do with a better lifestyle.

I think what means the board works best, is that people do speak from their own experiences and don't try to talk for everyone else. That's why generalisations just don't work! If I was to start of with a 'we're all happy with the UK and just fancied a change ...' there'd be uproar!

Oh and expectations. Errrrm. 'bout what we thought. 'Cause we didn't come expecting anything.
Someone get out of bed the wrong side today?
Old Jun 5th 2005, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

brilliant post, very honest
Old Jun 5th 2005, 9:51 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Quite right! I expressed an opinion there, and one that wouldn't be approved of by the rose-tinted specs brigade. Best to knock that kind of behaviour, lest it spread.

And apologies to Ninijon for hijacking your thread.

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Someone get out of bed the wrong side today?

Last edited by Geordie George; Jun 5th 2005 at 9:56 am.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 9:56 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

That post was great and i agree whole heartedly about what you've written about my home, well apart from one thing..... The drivers are shocking :scared:

But everything else is great
Old Jun 5th 2005, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Francinecrump is on a distinguished road

What an excellent post - thank you for taking time to let us have your views and experiences, it was very interesting. I was sat here feeling fed up, house not selling, prices where we live look like they're dropping and we need every dime to make the move possible, have visas, but can't use them until house sold, wished in hindsight we'd put house on market months ago etc. etc. etc., but reading you're post gave me the boost I needed today, so thanks
Old Jun 5th 2005, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Sherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the rough

One of the best reads on BExps I've come across...... BExps needs more like this, keep us posted Janine!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.