Validation Trip

Old May 5th 2005, 4:45 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough
Default Validation Trip

We're going on a validation trip to the Gold Coast in June and plan to move permanently in November. What things can I do/register for whilst we're on our valdation trip that will make life easier when we move out in November. For example, will I be able to open a bank account whilst in Brisbane during our holiday? Can I register for tax file numbers, or medicare etc... What about driving licenses? I know that your allowed to drive for a maximum of 3 months before you convert your license to a full australian one, but will we have any problems using our license when we move back in November if we used our license on our validation trip 4 - 5 months earlier?

I've already got lots of things planned, such as, contacting recruitment agencies, looking for areas we would like to live, schools, etc...

Has anyone experienced any problems when moving to australia permanently after they have been on a validation trip?

Thanks.
Old May 5th 2005, 4:48 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: Validation Trip

I think validation trips are a waste of time and money I`m afraid.... you can`t get a proper feel of a place in a couple of weeks (good or bad).

I don`t think you`d be able to get anything sorted except look at area`s and schools etc. Surely they wouldn`t let you open a bank account etc until you lived there permanently (ie had a permanent address).
Old May 5th 2005, 4:51 pm
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by elksa
We're going on a validation trip to the Gold Coast in June and plan to move permanently in November. What things can I do/register for whilst we're on our valdation trip that will make life easier when we move out in November. For example, will I be able to open a bank account whilst in Brisbane during our holiday? Can I register for tax file numbers, or medicare etc... What about driving licenses? I know that your allowed to drive for a maximum of 3 months before you convert your license to a full australian one, but will we have any problems using our license when we move back in November if we used our license on our validation trip 4 - 5 months earlier?

I've already got lots of things planned, such as, contacting recruitment agencies, looking for areas we would like to live, schools, etc...

Has anyone experienced any problems when moving to australia permanently after they have been on a validation trip?

Thanks.
You can open a bank account with The Commonwealth Bank of Australia in the UK. It is set up as a transfer account but when we arrive in Oz we just need to take some documents to the branch and we will get issued with our bank cards etc and the account will be activated.

Carolyn
Old May 6th 2005, 2:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormz
I think validation trips are a waste of time and money I`m afraid....
But very necessary if you can't or don't want to move proper before the first entry date.

I don`t think you`d be able to get anything sorted except look at area`s and schools etc. Surely they wouldn`t let you open a bank account etc until you lived there permanently (ie had a permanent address).
You need to be *living* in the state/territory to get a driving licence. Normally at least.

New migrants can open a bank account in Australia in the first few weeks of arrival with just a passport. There is no reason why this cannot be done on a validation trip.

Jeremy
Old May 6th 2005, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

We opened two bank accounts with Westpac whilst on our vaildation trip - they use our UK address.

We put some funds into the deposit account there and then and this is automatically drip-fed into our current account each month to keep both accounts active.

Our handycards were posted to us here in the UK (arrived within a week of our return from holiday).

Very friendly and helpful chap - we even have online banking from here in the UK.

All we needed as proof of ID were our passports.

No worries.