Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

validate 2009,what more can i do when there?

validate 2009,what more can i do when there?

Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default validate 2009,what more can i do when there?

I am going to oz in jan 09 to validate my visa i plan on setting up my bank account before i go so when i am there thats one thing sorted,i am not planning on making my move over there till say about 1 yrs time etc.
Is there anything else i can do take care of or sort out while i am there,im sure some have said things are not worth sorting out till i am there for good why.
What about medicare?What about the tfn number i used to access my visa application with is this my tfn number or do i have to apply for another and can i do this there then too.
Anything else,what about driving licence,but saying that i would need to know what state i plan on going to first but i take it you dont hold on to your uk licence once trying for a oz licence or do you get to keep both?

What about applying for credit cards i have an address i can set this up with but its it more that just applying?
What about cant remember what its called green cards,well as i work in the oil and gas industry with offshore on the rigs and on site,im sure there is tickets to get over there to work in the same industry,if so what are they called and where do you get them from.
Do they cost money and do they have have expire dates,as i could look into these if not, as most jobs i would apply for in future would require me to have these,im sure the mines are the same sort of thing again.

Trying to think of anything else.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:08 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: validate 2009,what more can i do when there?

If you're coming to validate....just have a look around and enjoy yourself.

If you already have a TFN then its yours for life and you don't need another one - not sure what a TFN number has to do with your visa application though?? Are you sure you're talking about a Tax File Number?

Yes, you keep your UK driving license as well as your Aus one. However I don't think you would be able to apply for an Aus license as you won't have sufficient ID to prove an Aus address.

Medicare - definitely DO NOT enrol on a validation trip - wait until you arrive permanently.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by bcworld

If you already have a TFN then its yours for life and you don't need another one - not sure what a TFN number has to do with your visa application though?? Are you sure you're talking about a Tax File Number?

Yes, you keep your UK driving license as well as your Aus one. However I don't think you would be able to apply for an Aus license as you won't have sufficient ID to prove an Aus address.

Medicare - definitely DO NOT enrol on a validation trip - wait until you arrive permanently.
As for the oz licence,what if i said i was living with my aunt,not possible?

On the tfn number this is the site i used to enter in on to check the progress of my visa,i take it this is my tfn number i entered on this?maybe i should send a quick email to my agent to ask him too.

https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/inquiry...o?action=eVisa
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry just noticed there thats my trn number it ask for not tfn,i thought it was very much alike.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard this TFN and visa application before but didn't sort it in my head then either. BC is right - don't bother doing anything until you arrive properly. Most things take a week or two at the most to sort and you won't have a permanent address so it's easier to leave it. Bank account is fine but from memory you will only be able to transfer money into it. If for any reason you need to transfer money out, I don't think you'll be allowed to (we couldn't with ours but it may have been a different setup).

Just look at areas, try and get a feel for things, have a holiday - you may not have the chance when you arrive permanently.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Im pretty sure i had a tfn when i was backpacking in 2004 and when i was working there,would this be the same one,as im sure i read once you have one regardless of when its still the same,i may need to look as old pay slips but if they dont show me that tfn number on there where else can i find it or check what it was,or once you get a new 176 visa you need to get another?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
Im pretty sure i had a tfn when i was backpacking in 2004 and when i was working there,would this be the same one,as im sure i read once you have one regardless of when its still the same,i may need to look as old pay slips but if they dont show me that tfn number on there where else can i find it or check what it was,or once you get a new 176 visa you need to get another?
You TFN is nothing to do with the type of visa you have.

You were here backpacking and have a Tax File Number (TFN) from then so that will remain your tax file number. If you have forgotten it you can contact the Australian Tax Office when you get here and they will find it for you.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clear this up in my head - is the TFN that people mention in relation to their visa application a Tax File Number? I assumed it was something else that confusingly had the same initials
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:13 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Just to clear this up in my head - is the TFN that people mention in relation to their visa application a Tax File Number? I assumed it was something else that confusingly had the same initials
I think he means TRN - which I think is the tracking number for visa applications.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:14 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Tax file numbers can be applied for online.....simple process...takes a few minutes.

G
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:16 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by brian.w
As for the oz licence,what if i said i was living with my aunt,not possible?
The type of ID they look for is utility bill, bank statement etc at that address in your name (well in Qld anyway).

Seriously, what's the hurry??
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:26 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Just chill and have a nice holiday ... you sound like a bull in a china shop, rushing around and panicking.

All the things you've mentioned like medicare , TFN , bank account etc etc can and should be done when you go there permanently ... not when you're going there to validate your visa.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
Just chill and have a nice holiday ... you sound like a bull in a china shop, rushing around and panicking.

All the things you've mentioned like medicare , TFN , bank account etc etc can and should be done when you go there permanently ... not when you're going there to validate your visa.
I'd agree, with the possible exception of the bank acocunt.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You TFN is nothing to do with the type of visa you have.

You were here backpacking and have a Tax File Number (TFN) from then so that will remain your tax file number. If you have forgotten it you can contact the Australian Tax Office when you get here and they will find it for you.
I found an old note book from when i was backpacking in 2004 with my tfn number on it,how can i check this is still ok and its the right number as i believe you keep the same tfn number.Is there a way i can check this is the right number and if so how.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

The type of ID they look for is utility bill, bank statement etc at that address in your name (well in Qld anyway).

Seriously, what's the hurry??
Im in no hurry just like to be organized and get things done sooner,than later i suppose,as im sure when i do get there they be plenty of other stuff to sort out and deal with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.